Can't STOP The ALGAE - Please Help

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
Went on vacation a few weeks back and came back to a green pool.

Immediately brought up to shock (25 FC) and noticed that i was quickly losing chlorine and kept on it for a few days, when i thought that I was in the clear. But can't seem to get the green pool back to clear. Here are my current levels.

Note I've been using the Job Lot Pool Shock (12.5% hypo) as my chlorine/shock..not sure if that would matter.

Here are my current levels:

FC 5.5
CC 1
PH 7.5
TA 40
CH 40
CYA 100

Any advice?

IMG_3624 (1).jpg

Retest your CYA using the dilution test method. Add 50% tap water to your pool water sample, test as usual, then double the results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe that test kit only measures FC up to 5 ppm. How are you measuring 25 ppm FC?

It does. The K2006 will measure FC to much higher levels.

Re-reading with actual test kit of CYA is 80

Forgot to mention i did add some muriatic acid to the pool probably a week ago as the CYA was reading 10-20. Not sure if that threw it out of wack somehow
The addition of muriatic acid will not raise cya. Adding cyanuric acid (in liquid or granular form) will.

With a cya of 80, you need to raise your FC to 31 and maintain it there untill you pass the 3 parameters of slam. SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain

IMG_1225.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Newdude
You might want to think about exchanging some water to lower cya.

I hear you about the long day. Let us know if you have any more questions.

You'll want to stock up on liquid chlorine. Aka bleach, (with no additives.)

It will take a little effort,but the results will be worth it.

You are going to want to remove those steps and drain/clean the internals.

They will harbor algae that make it much more difficult to successfully complete the slam.

clean inside the skimmer. Anywhere water can go, algae will thrive.

Brush the pool frequently and keep an eye on the filter.

Reactions: Flboy44 and Newdude
I hear you about the long day. Let us know if you have any more questions.

You'll want to stock up on liquid chlorine. Aka bleach, (with no additives.)

It will take a little effort,but the results will be worth it.
Thank you. So, i have a lot of the Pool Shock that I buy at Ocean State Job Lot. I've used that forever. Should be equally as good as regular bleach i think right?

Is it liquid? I did see that on its website. That will work. What % of sodium hypochlorite is it?

So sodium hypochlorite is the chemical name. It is also called liquid chlorine, chlorine, bleach, or liquid shock. Its all the same. It does come in different strengths. Household bleach is around 5%. hypochlorite is also available in 10%, and 12.5%, commonly used for pools.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.