Palm Beach Gardens, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a Hayward C900 and I can't get the lid off. As I turn the knob, it loosens for a few turns and then the knob pops, and no more loosening. I'm thinking its stripped but really have no way to check because I can't get the lid off. Anyone have any ideas?

Tried all your methods, doesn’t come off. I do notice when I push down on the lock nut handle the “pop” is noticeably louder. When pulling up you can’t hear it but still doesn’t disengage from the rod

I have a Hayward C900 and I can't get the lid off. As I turn the knob, it loosens for a few turns and then the knob pops, and no more loosening. I'm thinking its stripped but really have no way to check because I can't get the lid off. Anyone have any ideas?
You may have to cut the handle/knob off (+/-$60.00). If the rod is damaged it will have to be removed and should be replaced ($150-200). Those two items are nearly half the cost of a new filter, complete. I wouldn't trust any repaired parts that hold a pressure vessel together. If you're going to stay with a filter that small you might look into Doheny's 150 sq. ft. model that is on sale:

If you are considering replacing the filter, get one large enough for your pool. For some reason, FL pool builders tend to put dinky little filters on pools.
For your 17,000 gallon pool, a cartridge filter in the 400-500+ square foot range would be appropriate.
90 square feet filter for a 17k pool is way too small.

Reactions: Mdragger88
One time my filter knob just kept spinning and it took me forever to get it off. Panic started to set it. Ha. I think in my case the e-clip inside got rusted and the parts got a bit separated and just wouldn't turn together. I finally got the lid off. I think I ended up lifting on the lid, keeping an upward pressure, as I slowly turned the knob. Somehow I got just enough pressure in there on the parts that allowed the know to separate from the rod. See if this link helps you at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you tried pushing downward on the knob as you turn it? If that doesn't help engage the knob with the rod at the top (inside), it might help unscrew the rod from the base so that you can remove everything.
Thanks for asking, I have tried pushing and pulling up while unscrewing the knob. It will unscrew 3 or 4 times around, to a point, and then that’s when the “popping” sound starts. The top of the filter is beginning to disengage from the base, but then stops. The “pop” happens in the same exact point of the turn of the knob. Now if I can’t get it off can I use a sawzall to cut the knob off?

Now if I can’t get it off can I use a sawzall to cut the knob off?
I would hate to see you have to go to that extent. $$$ When mine was stuck I know it took me a while between pushing/pulling and twisting. I don't recall how I cracked the code to be honest as it's been a few years. I recall that darn knob just spinning, but don't recall how it managed to break free from the rod. Trying to think, I might have found a way to provide upward pressure to the upper half be lifting or spreading it from the lower half (at the center gasket area), while turning the knob. Foggy memory. :scratch: In my case, I know didn't have to remove the entre rod to separate the two halves. The e-clip was disintegrated inside which prevented the knob from lifting the upper housing which is probably why you hear the "pop" sound after a few turns.

full

Here’s an update. Cut off the handle with a sawzall. Almost messed up by cutting the rod. After prying the top off, removed the rod and flipped it. Installed new handle, washers and rubber ring. Lubed everything and put it back together. Replaced the filter and turned it on. Runs as it should.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Lubed everything and put it back together. Replaced the filter and turned it on.
Ever since my episode, I now ensure that I place some fresh pool lube on the threads at the top of the rod anytime I open the filter. Just gives me a bit more peace of mind hoping that never happens again. Shame you had to get all medieval, but it worked. Glad you got it taken care of. :goodjob:

Reactions: coldsteel469
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.