Can you add salt to a pool

Duraleigh sells test strips (see his signature, it's on his test kit site), and of course you can probably get them locally...I added less than I thought I would need, waited a week or so then added another bag, and had to add one more bag since then. Our family loves it, it does feel 'silkier' than last season and the light salt taste doesn't seem to bother anyone. And moving from Baquacil, our pool is probably clearer than it has been in over a season.

Re: Can you add salt....

Yes, initial salt levels around 500 to 1,000 are fairly common. It will be lower if you just filled the pool. Nearly all of the common pool chemicals put some salt into the water.

Re:

Shelley N said:
I would really LOVE to do this but haven't because I was afraid to with an above ground...but I see AnnaK has! Anna, have you noticed anything different since you added the salt? Plants dying near the pool? Dry salt on the deck? Pool rusting away?!

Hi Shelley,

Just saw your post and questions. I have noticed no ill effects at all. We have wood decking and I'd see a salt ring if there were one after the water has dried on it. There isn't. I backwash into the lawn and there's been no problem with the grass dying. No rust that I can tell. The salt concentration in my AGP is far less than what it would be in a pot of boiling potatoes :)

Xebec said:
The filter doesn't remove the added salt?

No. When you add salt to water you get salt and water. The water hydrates the salt crystals, it dissolves them. Six H20 molecules will tightly surround the Na but the ionic bond between the Na and the Cl remains. You wind up with a larger atomic configuration but it's still NaCl and it's far far too small to be caught in a filter.

I don't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, but I remember a poster saying that her toenail polish always chipped when she got in her friend's salt pool. Ladies, has anyone else experienced that problem with nail polish?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Very interesting thread that I'm going to bring back to active . . I'd like to try this but am concerned about salt continuously going through the pool heater since we don't have a bypass yet. Should I be concerned for corrosion in the heater or no?
Thx,
Jan

I started adding salt the other day; began by testing the water first and got a reading of 475 ppm. Then, added two 40lb bags of Aldi's 99.7% pure water conditioner salt pellets which brought the reading to 1,050 ppm. Added 40 lbs. of solar salt yesterday - haven't tested it yet but my husband and I feel that we are starting to be able to taste it, so we will stop here at approximately 1,350 ppm.

Amazing is how I would describe the water now - and even my husband likes it (he's like Mikie; he doesn't like anything!). It feels so silky and my hair doesn't tangle anymore - plus I don't feel all dried out when I get out of the water. It's awesome!
:bowdown:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.