No Flow caused by low temp/salt?

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi everyone,

I just opened my pool today and was just trying to get ahead of any issues. Long story short, we were having "No Flow" issues last year and actually got our Jandy 1400 SWC replaced later in the season last year. Opened the pool today and am I am seeing the same message, No Flow. Now, the water is 50 degrees and my salt is low, 2500 (that is what is is saying, I will actually test it once it stops raining). My question is, could low salt (2500) and/or low temp cause that No Flow message or do I have another issue on my hands? I looked it up and did not see anything about No Flow based on temp but I could be very wrong. The only thing, which is the same issue as last year is if I turn up my VSP, the salt then reads 2800 and the no flow message goes away. Maybe it does have to do with a low salt reading by the system? I will add more salt and see if it goes away, but I just hope my theory is correct. Anyone know the answer for sure?

Thanks!!!

Yarz !!!! Welcome back. :wave:

Flow is the first test and stops the progression of the others if it fails.

Salt and temp will shut off the cell also, but won't affect flow.

What RPMs are you using on the low side ?

NEWDUDE! Back to the rescue! I am running at 1200 RPM which has not been an issue for 3 years now. Its so weird that it works, then it does not, then it works, etc. Let me ask you, does flow get messed up if the basket is full? Its not totally full, but I do use hairnets to help filter the small stuff. Could that be it?

Full skimmers and baskets can restrict flow for sure, but the biggest culprit is usually the filter. When was the last time you backwashed, and have you completely broken down the grids in the past 6 months?

For mine, I can get by with 1,200 RPMS after I backwash, but then will have to adjust to 1,400 or so after it starts getting dirty.

Reactions: Newdude
Yes, it was a brand new filter setup. When I close the pool, I completely disassemble the filter, wash it down COMPLETELY, soak if needed, etc. When I opened the pool yesterday, it was a completely clean, fresh filter. As soon as I fired up the pump, I had it set to waste for a little while so I did not gum up the filter with Crud in the lines, then switched it over to filter, let it fill up, then cranked it up to high and added the DE. Seems like it was fine as my pressure on my filter looks like it should at a fresh "fill up" (about 10psi I think). Maybe it was the skimmer baskets. I just went out, changed the hairnets and so far it is showing Flow and 2800 salt. Just cant make sense of the pattern here just yet unless it really is the filter baskets...

I'd go without hairnets for now to see if it helps. They gum up quick in the spring. If that fixes it, put the hairnets back and bump 100 rpms and then 200 rpms (if need be) and see if 1200 is just riding the line too close.

Or stay at 1200 without the nets.

Also, I'm anti har net for this exact reason. We buy honking filters so we don't need to clean them often, then change hairnets twice a day for funsies ? I don't get it. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, you bring up a good point, plus I think I oversized my filter for that exact reason when I did the equipment. I like to run the hairnets until the pollen is done, but maybe I am riding too close to the sun on this one and just need to bump it up a little. I will continue to monitor it all, thank you so much as always!

*for small filter people, say, anyone in Florida, they may be a necessary evil.

They work amazing when needed. There's zero question there.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, as usual, the TFP to the rescue! I took out the hairnets 2-3 days ago and have not had the No Flow message pop up (at least when I am checking it). I was able to even turn down the pump to 1200 RPM 24/7 and it seems to be "flowin'" just fine. Thanks again!!!!

Ok SWEET !!! Your choice if you'd rather keep the hairnets and bump the RPMs a bit, or go net free for the spring. There's no wrong answer. :)

Hi everyone,

I just opened my pool today and was just trying to get ahead of any issues. Long story short, we were having "No Flow" issues last year and actually got our Jandy 1400 SWC replaced later in the season last year. Opened the pool today and am I am seeing the same message, No Flow. Now, the water is 50 degrees and my salt is low, 2500 (that is what is is saying, I will actually test it once it stops raining). My question is, could low salt (2500) and/or low temp cause that No Flow message or do I have another issue on my hands? I looked it up and did not see anything about No Flow based on temp but I could be very wrong. The only thing, which is the same issue as last year is if I turn up my VSP, the salt then reads 2800 and the no flow message goes away. Maybe it does have to do with a low salt reading by the system? I will add more salt and see if it goes away, but I just hope my theory is correct. Anyone know the answer for sure?

Thanks!!!
I had the same issue. I live in Winter Garden, Fl. I worked along with the pool tech. We did an acid wash on the salt cell and cleaned the filter.We replaced the filter and still had the No Flow message on the OmniLogic phone app. We then removed the filter and turned the system back on. The No Flow message was gone. Bottom line it was time for a new filter!!!

Yeah, the No Flow came back WITHOUT the hairnets so someone suggested putting it in recirculation mode and see if it goes away and it did. I am gonna backwash a little and see if that helps. Maybe I loaded it up with too much DE at start up. I put in 7.5lb in my 60 filter but maybe I measured wrong. I weighed it correctly I thought.