Can I close my pool without draining below the skimmer?

fjd726

Sep 22, 2011
I use the aquadoor on my pool and never drain it down. All I do to winterize the plumbing is install the aquadoor cover and put a 1.5" plug in the return. (I obviously do drain all of the water from the pipes afterward).
I use a simple tarp like cover that uses a cable to tighten it to the sides of the pool. I float a plastic 55 gallon drum under the cover to help keep it above the water. During the fall months, I syphon off the water that collects on the cover to help with the fall leaves. Once the trees stop dropping leaves, I don't worry bout the water on top. 15 years like this and no problems so far.

Here is a mid winter shot of the pool...

Does the water ever get behind the liner if you don't drain it?

726, it looks like you posted a question to an old thread. Not sure if you will get a reply from that member. Do you still need help with closing an AGP?

I've read all that in the past but curious to hear from members who haven't drained any water when covering the pool and leaving it be over a cold winter. I live in the N.E. I would like to know if water can/will get behind the liner if done that way.

Curious to hear from members who haven't drained any water when covering the pool and leaving it be over a cold winter. I would like to know if water can/will get behind the liner if done that way.
I'll tag @Mdragger88 and @Newdude for more input, and I'm sure others from the NE will reply. To me, a few things would seem to apply:
- If you use a skimmer plate or pull the skimmer suction hose and leave it disconnected, that would leave the water level a few inches below the top rail until the surface freezes.
- How well the liner itself is tucked-up over the wall and secured by the top rail.
- The quality and security of the cover.

Let's see what others have to day.

Reactions: newdude
The water shouldn’t be able to get behind the liner in the winter anymore than in the summer which is never unless you have a penetration in the liner somewhere or a bad gasket.
I cover & keep the cover pumped off with an automatic pump until freezing temps occur. If a thaw happens I pump the cover. I am contemplating not draining at all this year & just using a plate (i will still leave the body of my skimmer open) so I don’t have to refill as much in the spring as there are metals in my fill water. This also would mean less salt & cya to add upon opening as well.

I'll tag @Mdragger88 and @Newdude for more input, and I'm sure others from the NE will reply. To me, a few things would seem to apply:
- If you use a skimmer plate or pull the skimmer suction hose and leave it disconnected, that would leave the water level a few inches below the top rail until the surface freezes.
- How well the liner itself is tucked-up over the wall and secured by the top rail.
- The quality and security of the cover.

Let's see what others have to day.
I use an aquador and plug the return. Water is not able to go through the aquador and I'm sure the level would rise above it. The liner is also tucked on the inside of the pool near the rails at the top (6 inches or so from the top of the wall). That's why I'm concerned with water getting behind that.

With no cover you need to pump the pool as needed, or water will likely choose the liner track as the first available spot to leave the pool. Some areas will be water tight, others loose.

With a cover you need to pump the cover as needed. The weight of the cover water/ice pushes down (obviously) but may push the pool water up the walls around the perimeter as it does so, also using the liner track to exit the pool.

Either way, you need to pump what you accumulate.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have never had water get behind the liner. Being an above ground pool I don't suspect there is any way it could. I do have to pump off a lot of water in the spring. This is dependent of course on how much snow/rain we get over the winter months. I did add a leaf net to my arsenal. I keep it on till all of the leaves fall and pull it off just prior to the freezing temps/snow fall. I keep it stretched pretty good over the top of the cover so any leaves that do land on it will stay dry and blow off

I have never had water get behind the liner. Being an above ground pool I don't suspect there is any way it could. I do have to pump off a lot of water in the spring. This is dependent of course on how much snow/rain we get over the winter months. I did add a leaf net to my arsenal. I keep it on till all of the leaves fall and pull it off just prior to the freezing temps/snow fall. I keep it stretched pretty good over the top of the cover so any leaves that do land on it will stay dry and blow off
Just concerned if water could get behind the liner track as that's still on the inside portion of the pool just below the top of the wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just concerned if water could get behind the liner track as that's still on the inside portion of the pool just below the top of the wall.
If it is clipped into the receiver properly (beaded liner) no water should be able to get in as the receiver also overlaps the wall.
If it’s a j hook then that also overlaps the wall & no water should be able to get behind it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.