Can anyone spot my new toy from Taylor?

That was the response in that thread that I linked to from someone from AZ - I am guessing this may be due to the fact that you live in a low humidity zone. jblizzle from AZ said he has never had any clumping while most other folks did have clumping Clumping on the R-0870 powder spoon

True. There are times of the year here when the RH can get as low as 10% (bottled water on your person is a necessity) unlike say FL where everyone gets desiccated when the RH dips below 90% ;)

I have experienced a little bit of clumping of the powder in the bottle but it is always easily broken up by the spoon. As I said, if I rinse the spoon after use and let it dry, I never get any old powder in the spoon. And everything is always stored indoors at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The video made from Taylor shows using two heaping scoops and at the 25ml mark. I use one heaping scoop at the 10ml mark.
They did also mention that the amount of powder used wasn't exact.

Knj

It's not so much that it is not exact, it's just that you want to make sure you saturate the solution with indicator. The powder itself is actually a mixture of several different chemicals of which the DPD dye is only a small fraction. The rest of it includes pH buffers, deoxygenators and, I think, sequestrants to make sure metals do not interfere with the results. So the danger is really adding too little powder rather than adding too much. Obviously we all want to extend our test kits as long as possible BUT the DPD powder is one of the Taylor chemicals that is more sensitive to degradation by time and humidity than any other chemical in the kit so trying to "make it last" can potentially be counterproductive if the powder starts to degrade.

I think the TFP website, if allowed, should link to the Taylor site. It is actually one of the best sites I've seen in that they post a lot of information about their test kits, procedures and reagents without putting it all behind some paywall. You can actually learn quite a bit from it.

(And, if you're enough of a super-sleuth, you can figure out WHY Canadians pay so much for their Taylor test kits just by looking through the website ;) )

(And, if you're enough of a super-sleuth, you can figure out WHY Canadians pay so much for their Taylor test kits just by looking through the website ;) )
Isn't it because some of the chemicals are deemed to be hazardous materials and require special shipping?

Is that really true? Are these substances that hazardous?

I have a sister in law who lives in Texas. Before she comes up for a visit I will sometimes order reagents and have her be my "mule".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.