Bug in Jandy Aqualink PDA RS4 System?

megalodon

Apr 23, 2020
Cumming, GA
I think I found a bug in the RS4. My pool pump runs 24/7 at 600 rpm. I have a waterfall and Hotspot FPH system. I have the waterfall turn on at noon and turn off at 6pm, this bumps the pump up to 2000 rpm. The FPH system is connected to the solar heat input of the RS4. When triggered it bumps the pump up to 2500 rpm. Here's the bug, during the day (noon-6pm), when the FPH system turns off, the pump is supposed to fall back to the next highest accessory, which would be the waterfall at 2000 rpm. This does not happen. It reverts to the pool default - 600 rpm. So, during the day when my waterfall is running my FPH system will kick in and then after a while when it shuts off, my waterfall shuts off as well due to lack of flow.

note: The FPH system is a heat reclaimer that takes the waste heat produced by my home AC system and puts it into the pool. So, it can turn on anytime - day or night.

I have called Jandy and they told me to wipe the PDA and reprogram everything, which I have done.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Perhaps I have an older version. Can anyone confirm their system works correctly with the solar option enabled?

I think because the FPH system is not a scheduled event, when it clicks on the automation kicks in the higher speed as you indicate but when it turns off the system goes back to Pool speed because the scheduled waterfall has been skipped.
I don’t have a solar hookup by maybe @PoolGate or @generessler has some ideas.

What speed number are you using for your waterfall function.

While not called out in the manual most of the 8 VSP speed settings are hard associated with certain functions regardless of what you rename the keywords to. You should have your FPH system RPM of 2500 associated with speed 7, which is speed that is associated with Solar heat. If you have a dual pool / spa system and if you have a pool cleaner, and the FPH system occupies the solar heat speed setting, you only have one speed, speed 8 that can be reassigned to your waterfall.

While you may rename any of the speed settings to waterfall the Jandy system internally associates the speeds with their hard-coded functions.

Here are the default names (below) for the first 7 speeds, and these are essentially hard coded because you can rename the speeds as you like, but they will still be associated with the original functions. If you change your DIP switch settings so that the cleaner function and, or spillover is disabled, then speeds 3 and 4 can be renamed and reused for something else.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: HermanTX
I will add that I have a Solar System with the Aqualink system.

The solar is enabled by the solar heat function and I have that scheduled the same duration that my filter/pump runs. When enabled the system monitors the solar temperature probe, and if that probe is 5 degrees or more than the pool temp then the JVA valve for the solar is activated, and the solar relay contacts close (if used). When activated the pump speed increases to speed 7, the Solar Heat speed. Should the solar temp probe drop below 5 degrees above the current pool temp, the JVA valve turns off, the relay contacts open, and the speed drops back to the filter / pump speed, or whatever is the next highest speed should something like the cleaner be active.

This all assumes that the pool water is below the Pool Heat set temperature (as the Pool Heat temp setting, or Temp1) doubles as the solar heat temp setting. If the pool temperature is at or above the set point then the JVA valve will not activate even if the panels are warm enough to supply heat.

Do you have a temp probe in your FPH system that monitors when it's producing heat? If you do it should work the same way as the solar, such that when temp is 5 degrees above the pool temp, then the valve that controls the flow though the FPH should activate and the pump speed should increase to the solar heat setting.

Reactions: HermanTX
What speed number are you using for your waterfall function.

While not called out in the manual most of the 8 VSP speed settings are hard associated with certain functions regardless of what you rename the keywords to. You should have your FPH system RPM of 2500 associated with speed 7, which is speed that is associated with Solar heat. If you have a dual pool / spa system and if you have a pool cleaner, and the FPH system occupies the solar heat speed setting, you only have one speed, speed 8 that can be reassigned to your waterfall.

While you may rename any of the speed settings to waterfall the Jandy system internally associates the speeds with their hard-coded functions.

Here are the default names (below) for the first 7 speeds, and these are essentially hard coded because you can rename the speeds as you like, but they will still be associated with the original functions. If you change your DIP switch settings so that the cleaner function and, or spillover is disabled, then speeds 3 and 4 can be renamed and reused for something else.

View attachment 556038
This is well stated - maybe this should be added to the AquaLink Wiki.