Buffer/Polish Fiberglass Pool?

OurAge85

Jun 20, 2023
St. Louis
Hello All,

New member here with very little pool experience. Hoping to get some input on an issue I'm having with the fiberglass.

We purchased our home in 2021 and it came with a roughly 12ft x 14ft x 2ft fiberglass pool that was installed in 2017. I'm told it's called a "plunge pool". I've estimated it to be about 1700 gallons. The pool has a cartridge filter, in-line chlorine feeder, and also a heater to allow the small pool to function as a hot tub if desired. The previous owner apparently never drained the pool and it does not have a cover. So during the winter, water was pumped out to a lower level (just above the inlets to keep weight on the pool), the lines blown out, pool antifreeze added, inlets capped, and power to system turned off. None of this may be relevant, but trying to provide any relevant back story to what issue developed.

Last year before closing for the winter, I started to notice a white buildup on what I thought was just around the water line. In my ignorance, i figured I'd just let it go and address it this spring when opening. I opened the pool in May this year and after getting the chemicals lined out, turned on the heater, and the wife and I got in it on a Friday night. The next morning when I came out to look at the pool, enough water had evaporated, that I could clearly see what looked like a thick white buildup as if someone had painted the pool white. I googled for hours trying to figure out what to do and eventually had a local pool company come out to look at it. The guy that came out tried muriatic acid and it did nothing. His recommendation (which I disagreed with) was to take a wire brush to the build up. I contacted another local company and after testing, they believed that my pool had so little calcium in it (to my ignorance, last summer I'd been filling with our hose that comes from a water softener) that the water was pulling from wherever it could to regain calcium. They also thought the alkalinity could have been very high over a number of years and causing this scale buildup to occur. Additionally, we confirmed the white buildup covers the ENTIRE pool below the water line including the floor. Their suggestion was to begin wet sanding the entire pool with 1000-1500 grit sandpaper.

I began taking this task on my own and eventually moved to 400 and 800 grit wet sandpaper so that I could make quicker progress while also trying to make sure I wasn't getting too deep/aggressive with the sanding. I'm about 20 hours into it and still have to do the entire floor. I basically have been keep 3-4 inches of water in the pool, sanding the walls, then when the water gets milky white from the sanding, drain it out and refill with fresh water, then repeat the process. The walls at this point pretty much have the buildup removed but are now all greyed over and smeared with white stuff. It's difficult to tell if this is the haze/smearing of the scale buildup or if I've gone too far into a layer of gelcoat and i'm smearing around gelcoat at this point. I don't have any previous experience working with fiberglass so unfortunately am winging it a bit. I called the 2nd pool company again to get their opinion and their recommendation was to now go over the walls with 2000 grit wet sandpaper and then take a mechanical buffer and compound and go over a 2ft x 2ft area to see if it'd remove the gray haze and bringing back some of the luster and shine. If that works, do that to the rest of the pool. If it doesn't, we may be looking at stripping and applying new gelcoast. This buffer concept makes some sense to me, but in my googling I really can't find any examples or solutions of people using a buffer and compound on a fiberglass pool. I can only find use cases for using it on boats, RV's, and water slides.

So my overall question is, does it make sense to proceed with a buffer at this point? Is there a recommended buffering/rubbing compound to use on a pool that's safe to use? I see there's compounds specifically meant for Marine and RV and I can also find examples online of people using 3M Marine rubbing compound and Wax combinations on water park slides. My concern is applying chemicals to the pool walls that will leave behind a residue that may be unsafe for swimmers even if it does restore the shine and gelcoat appearance.

Sorry for the rambling description of the issue but any suggestions would be appreciated. I've attached some before pictures and pictures of where I'm at now. The water level all summer last year was right at where the top of the white line is. I drained it down a few inches to confirm the scale was not just the at the water level and take the before pictures. I still need to figure out how to best handle the top of the step and floor since it's got a textured anti-slip coating on it, making it difficult to sand.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attachments

• 70602921967__38627846-BD45-4A4F-8DE8-449C1701B096.jpg
    70602921967__38627846-BD45-4A4F-8DE8-449C1701B096.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 70604845955__8C748F06-D17C-4828-BF30-00B1B21A779D.jpg
    70604845955__8C748F06-D17C-4828-BF30-00B1B21A779D.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4916.jpg
    IMG_4916.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4959.jpg
    IMG_4959.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4960.jpg
    IMG_4960.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4986.jpg
    IMG_4986.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4987.jpg
    IMG_4987.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I also wanted to mention, during my original googling, I came across Texas Splash's well written account of gelcoat oxidation and from what I can tell this is very similar. Reading Texas Splash's thread is what made me decide wet sanding was probably the correct starting point. Once I figure out how to get the pool looking decent again and can fill it back up, I plan to really get a grasp on chemical levels. I thought I had a basic grasp on it previously, but clearly that wasn't the case. haha

Yes, I understand completely. No real answers as to why some gelcoats do that. I'm still doing testing of my own.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

If you start doing the chemistry you will want to buy one of the kits we suggest.

A cheaper kit won't have the tests you need to manage your water using TFP methods.

There is an article in Pool School that compares the kits. The TFPro seems to be the best value.

What you're doing is similar to what people do to restore fiberglass boat shells and other FG surfaces. You're basically "cutting" into the gelcoat and removing the part of it that's oxidized and degraded. You need to do a continuous series of ever finer polishing to get it back to a smooth and shiny surface. Eventually you'll need to switch to a rubbing compound to get a very fine fine finish. All of this takes massive amounts of manual labor as you are learning.

The biggest problem is that you don't know how thick the gelcoat is and so you don't know how far you can go. Eventually you will cut so much gelcoat away that you will begin to expose the fiber glass layer. At that point you have a problem because now the shell is compromised. Often times, when the FG gelcoat is severely damaged, you have to grind it all down to practically the fiberglass layer and then re-coat the shell. That's an even bigger process and not something a novice should do.

So you have to see how far you can take this on your own and be willing to live with swirls and surface variations because you're never going to achieve factory-like conditions. At some point you might want to bring in an FG expert and see what they think about re-coating the shell.

Thanks @JoyfulNoise and others for the reply. I'm not so worried about restoring to the original finish, understanding it's not going to happen. But more so just making it presentable and safe to swim in, since I don't really know what the scale/buildup is that started this. If I can get the white buildup gone and I'm left with a somewhat non-shiny but not-damaged gelcoat finish, I'm good wit that. My plan is to stop the wet sanding at this point besides the areas that are clearly still white, and to try a buffing compound over a small area. I was told by the local pool company that I should be good as far as cutting too deep if the fleck (little sparkles in the gelcoat) are still there and I haven't sanded any off, which I don't believe I have to this point.

Any suggestions as to a specific product to start with on the buffer?
I'm not sure if it matters if I use a product that's specific to fiberglass gelcoat for boats/RV's or any buffing compound that could be picked up at local Autoparts store. I would assume a FG gelcoat specific product would be best as opposed to an Auto one that mentions being "clear coat safe". I was told by the pool company that it shouldn't matter but the key is to make sure any residue from it is removed before filling the pool, which is why I'm hung up on which product to try.

I was thinking something like this to start since I've seen youtube vids of people using that product for boats and water slides. Perfect-It™ Gelcoat Light Cutting Polish + Wax, Quart | West Marine

I've accepted this is going to require lots more manual labor and will be a lot of trial and error. If after some time testing with the buffing I'm getting nowhere, my plan is to try and find a FG expert to quote recoating it.

If you like collecting power tools, I suggest you get a good quality battery powered buffing wheel. Something that can do all the work for you. Hand buffing a shell that large will take forever and you’ll be guzzling bottles of Advil and Tylenol to sooth your aching arms.

Thanks all. Definitely plan to use a power tool for the buffing portion. Borrowing a buffer from a friend that has some experience painting cars. Right now my hold up is deciding on the right product to start with. If I don’t get any suggestions, I’ll probably purchase a couple different compounds and test results in a very small area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all. Definitely plan to use a power tool for the buffing portion. Borrowing a buffer from a friend that has some experience painting cars. Right now my hold up is deciding on the right product to start with. If I don’t get any suggestions, I’ll probably purchase a couple different compounds and test results in a very small area.

Yeah, I would order a few and test them out. It really shouldn't matter. A fiberglass gelcoat and automobile topcoat are pretty much the same thing. It's just with autos you also add an additional wax layer to planarize the surface and make it look glossy. You wouldn't add a wax layer to a pool surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.