Brown mess at opening... Newbie needing a little hand-holding

So here are my results...
FC = 0.5
CC = 0
pH = 7.5
TA = 60
CH = 100
CYA = 30-40 (I wanna say 40, but I think I can still see the black dot. This one will take me a while to get comfy with)
Cl, Br = .5, 1
My SWG does not report low salt or any error codes, so I'm gathering my salt is still good. I'm also kinda questioning that since I did pump out some water. Will have to get a test for salt. What do you think of the Aqua Check salt test strips??

Pool school says to have FC between 4-6, so I will need to add bleach...?
What about CYA... my SWG instructions say to have it at 30 ppm based on 12000 gallons, but pool school says 70-80, so I'll add to get to 70 initially. Looks like TA and CH are fine for my setup.
Anything I've missed other than checking for salt level? I've cleaned the swamp. Now I have to just maintain it. I'm sure I still have lessons to be had :geek::cool:

Here's my sparkling pool. Been like this for the past 4 days. Ahhh!!!

Pool looks fantastic!

If your SWG is not giving any error codes then you do not need to worry about the salt. Getting a salt test is a good idea, tftestkits.net has them.

It is important to maintain your chlorine level above the minimum level at ALL times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. You chlorine level is set based on your CYA level and this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

If your SWG is not keeping the chlorine level high enough you can add bleach to help it out. Then increase the output percentage or run time for the SWG to increase the chlorine level.

Not much going on, other than checking chems to see about FC. I was at 0.5 yesterday, so I added bleach to bring it to 6. Also added 48oz. Stabilizer to bring CYA up to 70. Hoping that will eventually help with holding onto the chlorine. Today I'm at 3.5 FC, and 0.5 CC. Waiting for my salt test strips to arrive so I can check that level, and cross off my list.

Noticed a drip where the hose connects to outflow hookup. The hardware needs to be replaced. I think (no, I know) hubby over tightened the connection... hence, he's never allowed to touch anything to do with the pool again. How do you think my filter grid had all those tiny tears?? He blasted the thing with a power washer. Wasn't there the previous time I cleaned the grid. Hmmm...I know he meant well... he just can't work with kitt gloves... So he's banned!
Now... How to replace it without draining the water to below that level? Anyone ever try cutting a hole in a bucket to create a chamber that can provide an avenue for replacing that valve? If so, pics please. I can see it in my head (unless you tell me I'm crazy for thinking it).

Just curious on how many jugs of bleach you used (concentration and size as well). Your filter seemed like a bear to deal with and your stick-to-it-ive-ness is impressive.

Thank you. I'm very happy with my results.
I used 10 jugs (121 oz.) of 8.25% bleach from Walmart.
Used 7 lbs. stabilizer for CYA
And probably around 14 lbs. of DE (four filter cleanings at 3.5 lbs for precoating each time)
Got myself a leaf bagger... Awesome little tool for cleanup.
Learned a lot. I hope I can pay it forward to others. The more I do, the more I understand.

Hope your experience is going well. Thanks for the shout out!!

Back for more questions....

Got my salt strip test and checked my level... 1640 ppm... way below the recommended level.
My CYA is between 60-70... (I repeated this at least half a dozen times and at least once, I got 50, with the remaining attempts near 60 and 70)... Still trying to master when the dot truly disappears!! I know that I put in 7 lbs of stabilizer so far, so that tells me I'm at/below 70.
I guess now I know why I'm losing FC. Going to add 160 lbs of salt to bring it up to 3200+ ppm as recommended in pool school. My concern is...
Earlier in the day, I added enough bleach to bring FC from 0.5 to 6. Would that effect the salt test?
Should I add anymore stabilizer (if at any) right now (was told ideal would be between 70-80), or wait until the salt has been added and FC checks are done with the SWG running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.