Brown mess at opening... Newbie needing a little hand-holding

Thanks. I keep forgetting how I'm posting the links. I'm not sure if it's my iPad acting up, or I'm just having a senior moment! I tried the URLs after I posted the thread and it went to the pics.

So, as I get closer to clearing the water... New Q's surface.
I guess I should be checking the CYA level, now that it's been over a week that I added stabilizer? (Last I checked a few days ago, it showed 20, but it was only four days into adding it)
Should I wait until the parameters of slamming have been successfully met before moving on to other tests?
When should I start my SWG?
And when I start my SWG, do I need to bring up my CYA level all at once, or should I do little by little?
Should I clean out the DE filter one more time and precoat as if from scratch? (That would make this my fourth).
How do I keep CC under 0.5 (as it has gone up here and there)?

I'm wondering if there is a way to fix tiny holes in the DE grid. The fins are in great shape. It's where it meets the hard plastic disks that I think I see minute opening (or what may look like the element separating from the disk)... and I'm not even sure if they are openings (got bugs stuck in them), as I have no frame of reference to compare. I'm only guessing there are since I saw what seemed to be some DE coming out the return when precoating. Any and all advice is welcome!! :study:

Looks like that could be DE you vacuumed up. Glad you can at least see the bottom. Keep at it!

- - - Updated - - -

if it has been a week you can test CYA to see if you need to adjust. Don't bring it up to SWG levels until your SLAM is done.

CC will fluctuate some.

Leave SWG off until you pass the SLAM.

As for the filter all you can do is keep an eye on it. If you feel it needs to come apart again then do so. I think that is DE you vacuumed up.

That larger Hayward DE filter would work great with your pool. Generally a larger filter is much better. It's really hard to over size a filter. A larger filter, (that isn't allowing DE to pass back into the pool) will clear your water much quicker. But, you should open it up and thoroughly clean and very carefully inspect the grids, before considering it. A new set of grids would cost about $90, but then that filter originally cost about $500. Did it come with the backwash valve still installed? If not you would have to figure that out.

I've been yoyoing around 10-10.5 on FC, and 0-.5 on CC... Adding bleach as needed. I'm only testing three times a day. I'll open up the other DE filter tomorrow to see what's involved. I'm not sure about the backwash valve. I'll pick your brains after I assess if it's in decent condition to use. Not looking forward to the plumbing that's involved. I also have the Hayward pump that was used with that filter... Again for a larger in ground pool. Can a pump be overkill for my setup... other than the cost of running it??
Anyone have any idea how I can assess if my grid has holes? If I don't readily see any tears, how can I be sure if it's faulty or fine? When I initially precoated it, I did see something come out of the return but it didn't last too long. Is it acceptable to have some DE return to the pool, or should there be absolutely no leakage?
Curious if anyone has ever had my current filter, and what their experience was with it...:lovetfp:

Well, maybe this doesn't apply to your equipment, but my skimmer is a venturi skimmer, which means there is a return jet coming through the bottom of the skimmer to increase suction. But, it also means that some of the water that gets pulled down through the basket gets sent right back into the pool.

So, when I add DE to my filter after a cleaning or backwash, I have to remember to adjust the valve back at the equipment pad to turn off that return. Otherwise, a lot of the DE I poured in the skimmer basket gets sent right back out.

Well... it's been one week since I started my slamming process, and I'm happy to say that my swamp has blossomed... (or shall I say "un-blossomed") into a real pool again. I can finally see bottom throughout the entire area.

My test this morning at 7:45am... FC = 12, CC = 0.5, my water is not perfectly clear (unless it is, and it just looks cloudy because of the fuzz at the bottom. My neighbor decided to do construction just when I'm trying to clean my pool, so all the saw dust is blowing in... along with the pollen and **** from his trees). Vacuuming will hopefully correct that.

Here are my current results as of 12:00pm...
FC = 9
CC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 70
CH = 100
CYA = 20..ish? (If I turn my back to the sun, more than 20... If I turn around... less than 20... Hard to tell, but I know I need to be higher, so 20'ish it is.
Br, Cl = 5, 10 ... really yellow (Do I really need to be concerned with this, and how does this help me?)
I added some 55+ oz. of bleach again. I guess the sun is eating it up?
I plan to do a full vacuuming right now, and then open up the filter one more time to clean it and inspect the grid element. I decided I'm not going to go with the larger Pro Grid DE filter, as I don't want to futz around with the plumbing and such right now. If I see that I'm getting too much DE kicked back into the pool, I'll buy a new grid. Spending the $200 is better and easier than relearning new equipment (at this stage of the game).

So... I'm reaching out again for the next phase of my journey. Should I...
raise the pH? Pool math says to add 31 oz. of Borax to raise pH to 7.5
raise CYA? Pool math says add 16 oz. of stabilizer to raise to 30 (though I'll need to raise again when using SWG, correct?)

I also have these tiny little creatures swimming in my pool. I've posted a pic of one swimming, as well as one in my hand. Not many, but they are there. Didn't have them last year. Anyone know what they are, and why they are in there? Pics provided of my pool and critters!

Looking forward to your comments.
Did I say how much I love this pool forum?! :lovetfp::rockon:

Water boatman... Back swimmers... That's what they are! Gotta love the Internet.
Natural remedy is dish soap. Anyone ever try it?
I don't have that many, so I may try just fishing them out... but would be good to know if they become a nuisance.

More importantly... Any comments/advice on my previous post Q's?? I'm thinking I should add what pool math says to add, but want to hear from your expertise first :D;)

Have you passed the OLCT with a overnight loss of 1ppm or less?

Your water looks much better.

I would keep it at SLAM level for at least another day or two before making any adjustments if you have not done the OLCT.
I think your water will get even clearer.

You could bring the CYA up if it has been more than a week since you added stablizer to raise CYA.

This morning was the first time my FC was stable. I will see what it is tomorrow before committing to a passing grade on OLCT. I will go ahead and add the stabilizer, as that should help with the chlorine loss, correct?
Still haven't cleaned out the filter. I'm wondering if I should hold off on that? My psi is holding, and not going up. I have a good return... almost feel like... Why should I mess with it if it's not broken. You know?!
I figured I'd let one more day go by and see my progress before opening it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use your pressure gauge and observation of the return flow as to when to clean the filter. If you use skimmer socks and clean and replace them regularly you won't have to clean the filter as often.

Last night, my FC was 8, so I put in some 72+ oz. bleach. I'm guessing the sun is eating the chlorine up?
This morning, FC was 11.5, CC was 0... Put in 9 oz. bleach. Would that constitute a passing OLCT even though last night I added bleach?
When I regenerated the filter this morning (psi was 22, normal being 18... I did it because I knew I'd get a better return pressure), I noticed a plume of dirt come into the pool from the return... Not much, but still a good puff. Reason for concern?? I'm still tossing the idea around... To open up and clean the filte one last time.
Is the consensus that I keep shock level for one more day before moving forward with other checks and balances?

Pool pics as of 8:30 am today. Looks clear, but it still looks the tiniest bit cloudy towards the bottom. Would this constitute clear for passing the test??
http://rs577.pbsrc.com/albums/ss215/bobcat291/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG3950_zpsg8aymct3.jpg~c100
http://rs577.pbsrc.com/albums/ss215/bobcat291/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG3948_zpsm42i8o3j.jpg~c100

As far as the OCLT what was 72oz of bleach supposed to bring your FC up to? If it was 12 then you could say it passed the OCLT.
The only problem with that is you aren't sure if it did bring it up to 12. What I would suggest is taking your reading and adding bleach if needed, then test 30mins later to make sure you reached the level you were looking for. If so then use that as your pre OCLT level and test again in the AM to see how much you lost.
For the OCLT you really need to know exactly what the reading is before the overnight portion.
Either way you look at it you are REALLY close to being done. Thy dirt stuff you saw coming out of the return could be the problems you think you have with holes in your filter.

Water boatman... Back swimmers... That's what they are! Gotta love the Internet.
Natural remedy is dish soap. Anyone ever try it?
I don't have that many, so I may try just fishing them out... but would be good to know if they become a nuisance.

More importantly... Any comments/advice on my previous post Q's?? I'm thinking I should add what pool math says to add, but want to hear from your expertise first :D;)

Adding borates, after your SLAM and everything is under control, can help with the water bugs. Here is how, Borates - Why and How

As far as the OCLT what was 72oz of bleach supposed to bring your FC up to? If it was 12 then you could say it passed the OCLT.
The only problem with that is you aren't sure if it did bring it up to 12. What I would suggest is taking your reading and adding bleach if needed, then test 30mins later to make sure you reached the level you were looking for. If so then use that as your pre OCLT level and test again in the AM to see how much you lost.
For the OCLT you really need to know exactly what the reading is before the overnight portion.
Either way you look at it you are REALLY close to being done. Thy dirt stuff you saw coming out of the return could be the problems you think you have with holes in your filter.

Yes, it was to bring it back to 12. Noted on testing again after adding bleach. It makes sense.
I just checked (at 1:00 pm) and I was at FC of 9.5, CC of 0, so I added 45 oz. bleach. I'll check again tonight and adjust accordingly. Hoping for all parameters to be in line to be done slammin by morning.

I think you are on the money. The clarity will get even better as time goes on. At least mine has. It is clearer now than when I finished my SLAM.
As far as your grids go maybe you could take them to the pool store and have them just look em over. They will probably tell you they are toast but make them show you why they think that. If they can't show you anything obvious then I would keep doing what you're doing. It seems to be working.

If you are seeing something puff into the pool, it is no doubt DE. As long as you are leaking DE back into the pool it won't clear up. Sooner or later you need to replace the filter or grids or fix whatever is causing the problem. I'm not familiar with your particular filter, but sometimes it's the manifold not the grids leaking.

First and foremost... I want to thank the many on this forum that have "held my hand" through this learning curve. Because of your help and cheering on... I can consider myself "schooled" on pool basics and beyond!!
I'm glad to report that my pool is a sparkling gem once again. I did open up my filter a few days ago (for the fourth time) and upon inspection, found many small tears in the grid. Instead of reworking with different equipment, I just bought a new grid element... WOW... The pool sparkles like a diamond...Thanks to all of you (did I mention that ;))!

My kids have already enjoyed swimming for hours. It's been rainy the past couple of days, so I've just left the filter running 24/7, and also started my SWG on boost mode initially. I'll do a full suite of tests tomorrow to see where I am... and also post an updated pic of the end results.
I'm sure I'll be back asking more Q's to better understand the nuance of balancing the chems... but I'm definitely off to a great start. :party::swim::snorkle::lovetfp::salut:

So here are my results...
FC = 0.5
CC = 0
pH = 7.5
TA = 60
CH = 100
CYA = 30-40 (I wanna say 40, but I think I can still see the black dot. This one will take me a while to get comfy with)
Cl, Br = .5, 1
My SWG does not report low salt or any error codes, so I'm gathering my salt is still good. I'm also kinda questioning that since I did pump out some water. Will have to get a test for salt. What do you think of the Aqua Check salt test strips??

Pool school says to have FC between 4-6, so I will need to add bleach...?
What about CYA... my SWG instructions say to have it at 30 ppm based on 12000 gallons, but pool school says 70-80, so I'll add to get to 70 initially. Looks like TA and CH are fine for my setup.
Anything I've missed other than checking for salt level? I've cleaned the swamp. Now I have to just maintain it. I'm sure I still have lessons to be had :geek::cool:

Here's my sparkling pool. Been like this for the past 4 days. Ahhh!!!

Just as a recap from where I started... to where I've arrived...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.