velezfamily8

Jun 19, 2023
New Jersey
After my pool and spa were opened, I noticed my in-ground WhiteWave spillover spa wasn’t working correctly. After reviewing this forum, I figured out it was because my pool guy likely didn’t screw one of the jets in all the way. I got in and proceeded to screw them all in with the jet tool. Unfortunately, I was a tad too strong with one of the jets and proceeded to break all four tabs off. I know it will have to come off before I winterize it in the fall, but I’d like to game plan a solution now. You can see the picture below of what the housing looks like and what a brand new jet with all four tabs looks like. I was thinking of drilling two small holes along the perimeter of the jet and screwing in two long screws. From there I could clamp them down with two pieces of wood, maybe a 1x2, and screw the jet off that way, assuming the screws hold in place. My other thought was to use the Waterway Poly Jet Wrench (pic attached) to remove the jet face plate, but that makes me nervous. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_7674.jpeg
    IMG_7674.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7675.jpeg
    IMG_7675.jpeg
    503.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7676.jpeg
    IMG_7676.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7678.jpeg
    IMG_7678.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 13
Do not remove the flange. And make sure you do not remove the flange. Be careful not to remove the flange while you're busy not removing the flange. Questions?
I have had success running 2 long screws through a 2x4 to create a tool to insert into holes I drilled in the retaining ring. By screwing them into the retaining ring as you suggest you would only further lock the threads from expanding the plastic with the screw. I have also used needle-nose pliers as a tool.
In older tubs I have had success gripping the nozzle with vice grips and just pulling it out. This will damage the threads a bit if it lets go but a new one will still catch, in my experience. This only works if they are old and brittle.
Those jets do not have to be super tight, and overtightening can lead to more broken tabs when you go to remove them. I snug them down lightly then back off a hair.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Appreciate some pics along the way if you create the tool and drill holes as described.

Do not remove the flange. And make sure you do not remove the flange. Be careful not to remove the flange while you're busy not removing the flange. Questions?
I have had success running 2 long screws through a 2x4 to create a tool to insert into holes I drilled in the retaining ring. By screwing them into the retaining ring as you suggest you would only further lock the threads from expanding the plastic with the screw. I have also used needle-nose pliers as a tool.
In older tubs I have had success gripping the nozzle with vice grips and just pulling it out. This will damage the threads a bit if it lets go but a new one will still catch, in my experience. This only works if they are old and brittle.
Those jets do not have to be super tight, and overtightening can lead to more broken tabs when you go to remove them. I snug them down lightly then back off a hair.
Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: RDspaguy
We got to the end of pool season here in the northeast, so I decided to finally try and remove the damaged jet with the broken/missing tabs. I did some trial and error, but luckily after thinking about the situation, I was able to figure it out before I caused any further damage. It was actually quite simple. First, I needed to shut off the pool filter and then drop in my water pump to drain the spillover spa almost to the bottom, so that I could use my drill without fear of it getting wet. I drilled two holes using a 9/64 drill bit. However, the key was to drill them exactly where the broken tabs once were. I then took a screw that came with a 1/8” x 2” toggle bolt and cut two pieces, each 7/8” long using my Dremel tool. No need for the screw head. I then used needle-nose pliers to insert each of these pieces into the holes I drilled on the jet. Voila, I created my own replacement tabs. From there I used my Waterway Poly Jet Wrench. I inserted it into the jet housing, lining it up with the new tabs I created and unscrewed the jet. Just that simple. I screwed my new jet on, and I was done. I can’t tell you how relieved I was after this solution worked. I was worried this was going to turn into a major and costly repair job before we could winterize the pool. Check out the attached pics.

Some detail on where I got some parts:
Amazon for the Waterway Poly Jet Wrench and for the Waterway Internal Adjustable gray spa jet part #210-6047.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_8140.jpeg
    IMG_8140.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8139.jpeg
    IMG_8139.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8136.jpeg
    IMG_8136.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8134.jpeg
    IMG_8134.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8132.jpeg
    IMG_8132.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8131.jpeg
    IMG_8131.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8130.jpeg
    IMG_8130.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8142.jpeg
    IMG_8142.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.