Brand new...help!

Is that cc 5 or .5?

Yeah, please verify. 5 is really high but not impossible. You are losing chlorine quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

OK...using 100 test kit...FC between 1 and 1.5, CC at 5...using standard 96 oz. jugs (Clorox) and "equivalent" concentrated at 8.25% in 64 ox containers; total of 1300 ounces at 6% concentration as per Pool Calculator...

Put more bleach now?

Yes, you need more bleach (Check Pool Math for exact amount and post here and we will verify)

cc 5....

- - - Updated - - -

Plus, put in another 1300 ounces....see a little bit of white foam coming out of pool cleaner return...will test in half hour

Yes, you need more bleach (Check Pool Math for exact amount and post here and we will verify)
You are going to need a lot of chlorine. Anyway you can get some 12.5% solution. It would be a lot less jugs to handle. Where are you located?

I think you may have an ammonia situation on your hands. Gonna re-read your thread BRB
was wondering the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

cc 5....

- - - Updated - - -

Plus, put in another 1300 ounces....see a little bit of white foam coming out of pool cleaner return...will test in half hour

It won't matter much at this point, but to be sure to set % of bleach correctly in Pool Math to get the right amount to add. You said 1300 oz, but if you were using 8.25% bleach, then Pool Math should have been 921 oz.
It was 1300 for 6%.

The way your chlorine is getting used up, it won't matter, but it will help you add the correct amounts from here on out.

New Jersey...if no movement after this, am thinking of a partial drain to reduce CYA (****** off becuase my original CYA was low when I opened but the pool store told me to dump dichlor shock in heaps until I found this forum last week!) and then start SLAM once I refill and test. Am thinking I will need less bleach to get to shock FC level?

Ya, sounds like it. Can you get the 12.5%?
In inground pools, soil bacteria can enter the pool through rain water runoff and convert CYA to ammonia. This results in extreme chlorine demand and shows up as very high CCs. So the 5 result is a red flag. It's not impossible to see it in clear water too, just treated a pool that was clear but had an ammonia of 8ppm and had CYA from the Dichlor the pool guy that came a few days before me used to try and fix the problem.

You'll need to test and add chlorine up to every 30 minutes. Don't bother testing the CC during this process to save reagents. Test the FC with the FAS-DPD. When the FC is holding at your shock level for more than 1 hour then you can test CC and see if your making progress. When the ammonia has been almost oxidized you'll see the CC start to drop fairly quickly.

Additionally if you want to confirm you can go to a local petshop and purchase a fish tank ammonia test kit.

Here's an article to test the extreme chlorine demand, another hint if your dealing with ammonia:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/post56824.html#p56824

Did combo of both to total an effective 1300 ounce at 6%...the concentrates were each 64 ounce which "equals" 96oz of 6%...hope that makes sense?

- - - Updated - - -

Ya, sounds like it. Can you get the 12.5%?
In inground pools, soil bacteria can enter the pool through rain water runoff and convert CYA to ammonia. This results in extreme chlorine demand and shows up as very high CCs. So the 5 result is a red flag. It's not impossible to see it in clear water too, just treated a pool that was clear but had an ammonia of 8ppm and had CYA from the Dichlor the pool guy that came a few days before me used to try and fix the problem.

You'll need to test and add chlorine up to every 30 minutes. Don't bother testing the CC during this process to save reagents. Test the FC with the FAS-DPD. When the FC is holding at your shock level for more than 1 hour then you can test CC and see if your making progress. When the ammonia has been almost oxidized you'll see the CC start to drop fairly quickly.

Additionally if you want to confirm you can go to a local petshop and purchase a fish tank ammonia test kit.

Here's an article to test the extreme chlorine demand, another hint if your dealing with ammonia:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/post56824.html#p56824

Please comment on my drain/refill idea in post above...thx!

New Jersey...if no movement after this, am thinking of a partial drain to reduce CYA (****** off becuase my original CYA was low when I opened but the pool store told me to dump dichlor shock in heaps until I found this forum last week!) and then start SLAM once I refill and test. Am thinking I will need less bleach to get to shock FC level?

Yes, you are exactly right. A partial drain and refill will lower the CYA and reduce the ammonia concentration. A lower CYA will lower the shock level which will reduce your chlorine usage.
Don't worry, I know it seems like this is a hopeless task, but if you keep at it, you will fix the problem and truly have a Trouble Free Pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it looks like you have Ollie's in your area. They have inexpensive 12.5% "shock" in my area which I use for my pool. I would call first and see if they carry it if it's not too far from you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you are exactly right. A partial drain and refill will lower the CYA and reduce the ammonia concentration. A lower CYA will lower the shock level which will reduce your chlorine usage.
Don't worry, I know it seems like this is a hopeless task, but if you keep at it, you will fix the problem and truly have a Trouble Free Pool.

OK...FC 1.5 and CC is 9! (not .9, but 9)...so unless someone tells me otherwise, time to drain and start refill! Also, forecast for rain to help refill...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it looks like you have Ollie's in your area. They have inexpensive 12.5% "shock" in my area which I use for my pool. I would call first and see if they carry it if it's not too far from you.

Still waiting for pool to fill...Are you referring to liquid or hth granular? It appears the liquid is $2.99 for 1 gallon at 12.5%? I can get regular bleach for $2 per 96 oz. I think the Ollie's is more expensive?

Still waiting for pool to fill...Are you referring to liquid or hth granular? It appears the liquid is $2.99 for 1 gallon at 12.5%? I can get regular bleach for $2 per 96 oz. I think the Ollie's is more expensive?

96 oz @ 8.25% = 7.92 oz pure hypochlorite $2.00/7.92 = $.253 per ounce of pure hypochlorite
128 oz @ 12.5% = 16 oz pure hypochlorite $2.99/16 = $.187 per ounce of pure hypochlorite

Depends on the strength of your regular bleach. Some of the bargain bleaches can be as low as 3%.

Regular bleach at 3% - $2 for 96oz at 3%, $2.00/96/.03 = $0.69 per oz
Regular bleach at 6% - $2 for 96oz at 6%, $2.00/96/.06 = $0.35 per oz
Regular bleach at 8.25% - $2 for 96oz at 8.25%, $2.00/96/.0825 = $0.25 per oz
Oliie's "shock" at 12.5% - $2.99 for 128oz at 12.5%, $2.99/128/.125 = $0.19 per oz

Either way Ollie's is cheaper than the $2 for 96oz regardless of the strength. Also Ollies will send you coupons periodically for 15% off which will lower the cost even further.

Plus it is less jugs to handle. Just check the manufacture date, if it is old, it will be less potent. Don't but supply for 6 months, a few months would be fine.

Depends on the strength of your regular bleach. Some of the bargain bleaches can be as low as 3%.

Regular bleach at 3% - $2 for 96oz at 3%, $2.00/96/.03 = $0.69 per oz
Regular bleach at 6% - $2 for 96oz at 6%, $2.00/96/.06 = $0.35 per oz
Regular bleach at 8.25% - $2 for 96oz at 8.25%, $2.00/96/.0825 = $0.25 per oz
Oliie's "shock" at 12.5% - $2.99 for 128oz at 12.5%, $2.99/128/.125 = $0.19 per oz

Either way Ollie's is cheaper than the $2 for 96oz regardless of the strength. Also Ollies will send you coupons periodically for 15% off which will lower the cost even further.

Plus it is less jugs to handle. Just check the manufacture date, if it is old, it will be less potent. Don't but supply for 6 months, a few months would be fine.

Sorry all!! You are right, i am pooled out...I was thinking 64oz. is a gallon! Duh!!!

Just finished draining and filling pool and here's what I got ready to SLAM:

FC 0-0.5
CC 1.0
TA 110
pH 7.0-7.2
CYA 50
CH 175

Is it ok to SLAM or should I get CH back on track first? Thx!!

If so, I have to go get chemical in the AM...any recommended "no frill" version vs. pool store "Hardness Control"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.