Borax did not dissolve

Well... I added a gallon of LC and a 4 lb box of 20 mule borax before going out to buy the stabilizer. Thanks for the warning--it would have been a shame to get an algae bloom right after the purification.

Added 4 lb of stabilizer about an hour ago in a skimmer sock and it's almost entirely dissolved. (I used Chlorox brand.) I'll try measuring CYA tomorrow afternoon and then again in a couple of days. Between the stabilizer and the pucks should get CYA to around 30 ppm. Hoping that's high enough that my chlorine doesn't burn off too fast in the 100 degree weather. I need to leave the pool for a few days next week so, conveniently, I plan to leave a dispenser with some trichlor tabs and FC high. Now that my CYA is down, any thoughts on the maximum FC level that we should be swimming in? I would still like to keep FC on the high side while the weather is hot, to ensure the algae doesn't come back.

Below are latest test results with my Taylor kit:

FC 7.5
pH 7.2
TA 60
Just wondering, how did you get your boraxo to dissolve?

Just a comment in case that wasn’t a typo - NEVER use Boraxo! It is mostly a detergent and I’m not sure it even contains borax.

Use ONLY 20 Mule Team brand BORAX or buy boric acid and use that.

If it really is 20 mule team borax, not ‘Boraxo’, I use it to raise pH, minimizes TA increase.
I fill a 5 gallon bucket about 2/3 full and mix in a couple of shakes, say a quarter of the box or so. Stir it up for a few seconds, breaking up lumps, then pour it in front of the return, including the undissolved sludgy stuff in the bottom. Most of it dissolves right in the water within seconds, just a bit falls to the bottom. Repeat for the rest of the box. What little falls to the bottom is gone in a few minutes. It’s just that 4 pounds can’t dissolve in 4 or 5 gallons of water, but it will quickly in a few thousand gallons. I usually check pH and TA the next day, give it time to thoroughly mix and the pool chemistry settles. One box a day until I get it where I want it.

What are you hoping to achieve by adding Borax?

Just noticed that my post is still active. I did use 20 mule team borax, not anything else. Easy to find in the laundry section of the grocery store or Walmart. I put some of the borax in my skimmer but became concerned that it was not dissolving and since I only have 1 skimmer that it would strain my pump. So I put the rest into a skimmer sock tied it with string to a piece of wood which I anchored and hung the stocking over the edge of the pool in front of a return jet in the deep end of the pool. It was gone in an hour. I think I squeezed it a couple of times. The reason I used the Borax was because I needed to raise my pH without raising TA.

In case anyone else finds this thread:
I added 26 boxes of Borax to my pool a couple weeks ago (it had none prior). I used a 5 gallon bucket, and a large (5 gallon sized) paint stirrer on my drill. I scooped up about 2/3 of a bucket of pool water and dumped in a box, used the paint stirrer to mix it up real well, and tossed the water in the pool. There was only very minimal brushing needed at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.