Borates newbie! The unspoken secret chemical?!

brenmac03

Jul 22, 2023
Detroit
Hello! Year 3 of my pool ownership. Have become savvy on chemistry but have NOT tried borates yet. Have a 13,600 gal salt pool and ph keeps rising all the time. Southeast Michigan. Would like to add boric acid so I don’t have to add a ton of muriatic acid after. Pool calculators online say I would need 45 lbs of boric acid! Is this legit..45 pounds??? That’s like 12ea $20 bags for $240. I just need a sanity check that this is legit??? Benefits seems amazing. If I don’t have to add acid every week to keep ph in check, and also get sparkling looking water I am down. But want to make sure I am making a good investment. Thanks!

Hello! Year 3 of my pool ownership. Have become savvy on chemistry but have NOT tried borates yet. Have a 13,600 gal salt pool and ph keeps rising all the time. Southeast Michigan. Would like to add boric acid so I don’t have to add a ton of muriatic acid after. Pool calculators online say I would need 45 lbs of boric acid! Is this legit..45 pounds??? That’s like 12ea $20 bags for $240. I just need a sanity check that this is legit??? Benefits seems amazing. If I don’t have to add acid every week to keep ph in check, and also get sparkling looking water I am down. But want to make sure I am making a good investment. Thanks!
Read it again to make sure you understand that the amount of acid you use will be the same, it’ll just be using more less frequently. I didn’t find that borates made much of a difference.

Welcome to TFP.

With borates you will need to add MORE acid when you need to lower your pH.

I had borates and prefer just adding a splash of acid every few days to a week then the close to a gallon before. I find I am going through less acid without borates.

Reactions: Mdragger88
My experience with borates has been positive. I've been using them for the past two seasons. I have the same size pool as you, and looking back at my logs I'm adding ~40 oz MA every 10 days. I'm also running a fountain 24/7 to combat the 100+ temperatures we're having in San Antonio. I bought boric acid from Duda Disease (boric granular | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store) - the current price is $75 for a 55 lb bag.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.