Bleach Prices 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are three pool stores within ~100 miles of me. two of them are "leslies" one is a local company. All three state they do not sell liquid Chlorine, and the Two Leslies have told friends that "no leslie pool stores sell liquid chlorine"...

So....what do pool owners in your neck of the woods do then? Clear the shelf of bleach at every store, or rely on pucks or something?

Heck, a lot of pool owners don't even realize bleach is chlorine (had someone debate the fact again with me a few weeks back insisting they were not the same thing) so I'm left curious. What DO they sell at pool places if you can't buy liquid chlorine? It just seens totally foreign to me...like I said, every pool company sells the yellow tote juge (2 and 5 gallon usually) and refills them for a few bucks. WAY more convenient than buying jugs of bleach - it never made sense to me why so many people here seemed to fanatical about buying weak bleach vs strong pool chlorine, but I guess it's becoming clearer to me now.

I called Univar in OKC and their minimum size is 55 Gal. I was quoted:

55 Gallon barrel:
10.0 to 12.5%: $2.91 per gallon ($0.182 - $0.227 / oz CL)
12.5 to 15.0%: $3.03 per gallon ($0.189 - $0.237 / oz CL)

Pallet (4 x 55 Gallon barrels):
10.0 to 12.5%: $2.70 per gallon ($0.169 - $0.211 / oz CL)
12.5 to 15.0%: $2.82 per gallon ($0.176 - $0.220 / oz CL)

They also charge a $40 deposit for each barrel on top of the quoted price and won't sell to individuals w/o a tax ID. When quizzed about why it was cheaper in Texas, they said they were just a distributor and get it from another place in Dallas, TX. I should have asked her to repeat the name of the MFG but I think she said "Petro Chemical" or something similar.

Finding a good price on bleach in the OKC area is a real PITA. I'd rather wait for Ace's Memorial Day sale and buy 56 gallons for $140 than drive further, pay $160.05 and a $40 deposit, and also have to figure out how to unload the barrel safely.

You sir are a lucky guy!

thanks for posting that Daniel, I appreciate it. That barrel would be about 330+ lbs too!!!! Yup, it is a PITA to find good prices on bleach around here. 8.25% at Wally World is the best bang for the buck right now, however, im gonna call the Ace Hardware store nearby and find out if they too will have the 12% HTC chlorine on sale as thats a real good deal.

Just a reminder for anyone within reach of a Menard's - BOGO on 12%, net price is $2 a gallon. Julian date on the box shows mid-April manufacture. No real limit, and two stores I visited recently have multiple pallet-fulls remaining. Sale ends on 5/11/2014............

Last edited:
I called Univar in OKC and their minimum size is 55 Gal. I was quoted:

55 Gallon barrel:
10.0 to 12.5%: $2.91 per gallon ($0.182 - $0.227 / oz CL)
12.5 to 15.0%: $3.03 per gallon ($0.189 - $0.237 / oz CL)

Pallet (4 x 55 Gallon barrels):
10.0 to 12.5%: $2.70 per gallon ($0.169 - $0.211 / oz CL)
12.5 to 15.0%: $2.82 per gallon ($0.176 - $0.220 / oz CL)

They also charge a $40 deposit for each barrel on top of the quoted price and won't sell to individuals w/o a tax ID. When quizzed about why it was cheaper in Texas, they said they were just a distributor and get it from another place in Dallas, TX. I should have asked her to repeat the name of the MFG but I think she said "Petro Chemical" or something similar.

Finding a good price on bleach in the OKC area is a real PITA. I'd rather wait for Ace's Memorial Day sale and buy 56 gallons for $140 than drive further, pay $160.05 and a $40 deposit, and also have to figure out how to unload the barrel safely.

You sir are a lucky guy!

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that.

So....what do pool owners in your neck of the woods do then? Clear the shelf of bleach at every store, or rely on pucks or something?

Heck, a lot of pool owners don't even realize bleach is chlorine (had someone debate the fact again with me a few weeks back insisting they were not the same thing) so I'm left curious. What DO they sell at pool places if you can't buy liquid chlorine? It just seens totally foreign to me...like I said, every pool company sells the yellow tote juge (2 and 5 gallon usually) and refills them for a few bucks. WAY more convenient than buying jugs of bleach - it never made sense to me why so many people here seemed to fanatical about buying weak bleach vs strong pool chlorine, but I guess it's becoming clearer to me now.

I would say that probably 95% of the pools here are Trichlor "managed" Pucks/Granules. the other 4.5% are SWG, and then there's the few who have seen the light and use liquid chlorine. I know exactly one person who uses liquid chlorine out here, and his name is Brushpup..

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that.

I would say that probably 95% of the pools here are Trichlor "managed" Pucks/Granules. the other 4.5% are SWG, and then there's the few who have seen the light and use liquid chlorine. I know exactly one person who uses liquid chlorine out here, and his name is Brushpup..

It's the same around here. When I tell people I'm using bleach/liquid chlorine to sanitize my pool, they give me a look like I'm speaking Cantonese.

I thought it was perhaps that our seasons were so short for pool use. Most people have to drain 10-20% of their pool volume every winter to drop below returns. You can get away with CYA rise for most of the summer and not really knowing the chemistry of your pool.

This thread reminded me to call up LPS and ask if they have liquid chlorine. They don't. I'm in the South, I guess everyone just has super-high CYA levels or maybe the amount of rain we get possibly keeps it in check?

I'm in Memphis, TN and none of the Leslie's sell liquid chlorine. I did call up a Janitor supply center and they said they would sell me a case (4 128oz bottles) for $8.07. That works out to .26 per oz for 6%. Or I can stick with the Costco stuff (3 121oz bottles) for $8.39 which is .28 per oz for 8.25%. So my question is, which is the better deal? Does it just kind of equal itself out since the cheaper one is 6%?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This thread reminded me to call up LPS and ask if they have liquid chlorine. They don't. I'm in the South, I guess everyone just has super-high CYA levels or maybe the amount of rain we get possibly keeps it in check?

I started reading TFP the minute we put an offer on a house with a pool. I didn't have a test kit the first two weeks we were in the house, so I was taking samples to the pool store nearby to have them tested. While waiting in line with a gigantic bag of Calcium (which I just finished THIS YEAR) I heard the girl running the testing machine say "well.. as you know - if I left the sample in the machine for another hour -- your CYA# would continue to rise. That number NEVER settled. It's ok though because you're chlorine was at a 5. You're perfectly fine!".

For real. I never went back into them. I don't understand how you can work in the pool industry and not know anything about how the "pool" chemicals are related!! All I could think about is how ticked off I'd be if I was that customer and I eventually found out that "no.. my CYA was NOT ok".

Our current pool company LOATHES me because I tell them not to add ANYTHING to my pool when they come close/open. The only reason I can't close/open the darn thing myself is because of the way the previous owners plumbed the whole setup (no access points). I'll fix that when we install a new pump or a SWG -- likely on next years wish list.

I'm in Memphis, TN and none of the Leslie's sell liquid chlorine. I did call up a Janitor supply center and they said they would sell me a case (4 128oz bottles) for $8.07. That works out to .26 per oz for 6%. Or I can stick with the Costco stuff (3 121oz bottles) for $8.39 which is .28 per oz for 8.25%. So my question is, which is the better deal? Does it just kind of equal itself out since the cheaper one is 6%?

The cost per oz of chlorine is the cost you compare to get the better deal. Other factors to consider is the age of the bleach and if you feel it's worth the extra effort to carry 13 bottles of 6% as opposed to 10 bottles of 8.25%. Just buy a week supply at a time and wait for a bargain like the Ace Memorial Day sale to get a 1-2 month supply.

Yeah, I found that a few days ago which is how I got my numbers. I was just curious how 6% compared to 8.25%. Now I see it's just how much I wanna store which makes no difference to me. I still miss the old Sam's Club days when they sold 4 gallons of Pro Force 6% bleach for like $5.95!!!!!!

Hopefully someone else in the Memphis area uses this site and can share the prices they find. It seems us folks down south have a tough time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just found the local restaurant supply store (kind of like Costco size stuff of every thing you need for a restaurant) has 6% gallons for $1.59, about 20¢ oz! After shopping EVERYWHERE and never beating 30¢, I am in tightwad heaven! They're called Cash and Carry (part of United Grocers I think) and if they exist in small town Oregon, they gotta be everywhere! And by the way, the date code was March 2014.

Just a reminder for anyone within reach of a Menard's - BOGO on 12%, net price is $2 a gallon. Julian date on the box shows mid-April manufacture. No real limit, and two stores I visited recently have multiple pallet-fulls remaining. Sale ends on 5/11/2014............

I was just at a Menard's today (5/12/2014), and they still had this BOGO sale going, so I would guess it's probably going to be going for at least another week or two. Unfortunately for me, I had just stocked up at Fleet Farm where they are selling the gallons of 12.5% for $2.50 (compared to $2 at Menard's).

Yeah, I found that a few days ago which is how I got my numbers. I was just curious how 6% compared to 8.25%. Now I see it's just how much I wanna store which makes no difference to me. I still miss the old Sam's Club days when they sold 4 gallons of Pro Force 6% bleach for like $5.95!!!!!!

Hopefully someone else in the Memphis area uses this site and can share the prices they find. It seems us folks down south have a tough time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm an hour South of you in Oxford and currently buying the Great Value unscented. Google says there's a few 'cash and carry' restaurant supply places mentioned below.

Does Ace have their own brand of bleach or do they just sell clorox at a super discounted rate on memorial weekend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.