Bleach Prices 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ace carries HTH 10% liquid bleach, but it rarely goes on sale, regular price $4.50 for 128 Oz jug.

I asked my local Ace Hardware if they were going to have hth on sale on Memorial Day weekend like last year. He got on his computer and pulled the non-public Memorial Sales ad and it shows it will be $5 for 2 gallons of Hth 10% again this year. That's $0.195 / oz chlorine.

I have been buying Great Value 8.25% Bleach at Walmart for about $2.99 for 121 oz. The other day I saw Clorox Pool and Spa 10% liquid chlorine at my local grocery store for $3.99 for 128 oz. I am terrible at math :scratch: Anyone know which is the better value?

I have been buying Great Value 8.25% Bleach at Walmart for about $2.99 for 121 oz. The other day I saw Clorox Pool and Spa 10% liquid chlorine at my local grocery store for $3.99 for 128 oz. I am terrible at math :scratch: Anyone know which is the better value?

its hard to beat the price of GV 8.25%. And what is nice (at least for me) is my wife and I grocery shop at our local walmart, so we just grab a few gallons every time we are in there and stay stocked up. ;)

i went into our walmart last year and they had it on rollback for $2.69 per gallon. I grabbed a cart and cleared the shelf. bought 32 gallons. Lasted the rest of the season.:cool:

cashier lady looked at me like she thought I was building some type of beach bomb... surprised she didnt call the cops.....:p

The formula to use is [Sale Price] / [# of Units] / [Ounces per unit] / [% chlorine in decimal format (8.25% is 0.0825)]. This is an easier formula to use than another method that requires parentheses and will come up with the same answer to the 12th decimal place or so.

Also, for a quick estimate of the jugs that are exactly 121 oz and 8.25%, just move the decimal on the price to the left once to get the ballpark price per ounce of chlorine. This only works for that size and concentration combination and is only accurate to a 1/4th of a penny or so, but it is close enough that you'll know whether or not to bother doing the full calculation on it or to put the jug down and move on to the next.

I am attempting to do this for the first time this year. My pool store ****** me off. When you say "stock" up. How many gallons do you typically buy?

if its a good deal on good bleach (8% or better) and this early in the season, Ill clean the store out and get a season supply. If I wipe the shelf out and dont feel I have enough I have no problem grabbing a walmart associate and telling them to go to the back and bring me more bleach..... :p

as a rule, I wouldnt buy more than you can store in a dark cool place and no more than a year supply as it does lose strength over time.

I have roughly 30 gallons of 12.5% bleach on hand. Got some great deals at Fleet Farm and Menards in my area. However, I know I have an ammonia issue to deal with. I also did not manage the pool myself last year. I have plenty of sediment and dead algae to deal with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Filled my ~20Litre (5 gallon) chlorine tote 2 days ago for $9.99 at the local pool place. 12.5%.

I'm guessing based on all the pricing and hunt for deals I read about here our chlorine must be cheap up here. ;)

Thanks for the info Lummy.
I actually work in Fremont so depending on how far in the east bay the local pool supply is located it might be worth it to haul chlorine on my commute back home.
Would you please post the name/location of the pool supply store?

Thanks
They're Aquapro Pool in Pacheco. They get their chlorine direct from the supplier in Pittsburg

I never thought much of it...I've never paid more than $12 to fill the tote with the 12.5% which is standard at the pool places up here. What would you guys pay for that sized jug of 12%?

Well. Here I have to buy at least 15 gals at a time. it's around 2.00/gal when I buy 15 gals at a time. It drops to 1.86 or so if I buy 55 gals at a time.

Pool stores here don't carry liquid Chlorine.

Well. Here I have to buy at least 15 gals at a time. it's around 2.00/gal when I buy 15 gals at a time. It drops to 1.86 or so if I buy 55 gals at a time.

Pool stores here don't carry liquid Chlorine.

where do you buy that at? is there a place in Oklahoma that you know of? 15 gallons of 12% at 2 bucks a gallon.... thats a lot of bleach for 30 bucks. that would dang near cover me all season as I average 20oz of 8% per day....

I hit a pool store yesterday for liquid chlorine. I hadn't tried that before. Gallon jugs of 10% are nicer than 121 oz jugs of 8.25%, but still a tiny bit more expensive per chlorine than Great Value from Walmart. When I got home I checked the freshness. It was almost a year old. One jug wasn't full. So, I wasted a few bucks, but it was fun to explore a new place and get more information. Maybe someday Great Value Bleach will go on sale again.

Reasoning? That just seems weird to me, even the rinky-dink pool places across the countryside here has liquid chlorine - it's a staple.

There are three pool stores within ~100 miles of me. two of them are "leslies" one is a local company. All three state they do not sell liquid Chlorine, and the Two Leslies have told friends that "no leslie pool stores sell liquid chlorine"...

where do you buy that at? is there a place in Oklahoma that you know of? 15 gallons of 12% at 2 bucks a gallon.... thats a lot of bleach for 30 bucks. that would dang near cover me all season as I average 20oz of 8% per day....

The Company is Univar. They have a large plant or warehouse or something here, I assume due to the massive amounts of oilfield in this area. Big thing with buying more than you need is to remember it decays over time. Heat significantly increases the speed of this decay based on my understanding. I'm working with BrushPup for us to split a 55 gal so that we use it quick enough to get our moneys worth and still get the best possible price. A Wise man once told me to expect 12.5% to drop to ~6% over 4 months @ 80 degree avg temp.

mrcarcrazy said:
The Company is Univar. They have a large plant or warehouse or something here, I assume due to the massive amounts of oilfield in this area. Big thing with buying more than you need is to remember it decays over time. Heat significantly increases the speed of this decay based on my understanding. I'm working with BrushPup for us to split a 55 gal so that we use it quick enough to get our moneys worth and still get the best possible price. A Wise man once told me to expect 12.5% to drop to ~6% over 4 months @ 80 degree avg temp.

I called Univar in OKC and their minimum size is 55 Gal. I was quoted:

55 Gallon barrel:
10.0 to 12.5%: $2.91 per gallon ($0.182 - $0.227 / oz CL)
12.5 to 15.0%: $3.03 per gallon ($0.189 - $0.237 / oz CL)

Pallet (4 x 55 Gallon barrels):
10.0 to 12.5%: $2.70 per gallon ($0.169 - $0.211 / oz CL)
12.5 to 15.0%: $2.82 per gallon ($0.176 - $0.220 / oz CL)

They also charge a $40 deposit for each barrel on top of the quoted price and won't sell to individuals w/o a tax ID. When quizzed about why it was cheaper in Texas, they said they were just a distributor and get it from another place in Dallas, TX. I should have asked her to repeat the name of the MFG but I think she said "Petro Chemical" or something similar.

Finding a good price on bleach in the OKC area is a real PITA. I'd rather wait for Ace's Memorial Day sale and buy 56 gallons for $140 than drive further, pay $160.05 and a $40 deposit, and also have to figure out how to unload the barrel safely.

You sir are a lucky guy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.