Bleach prices 2013

laprjns said:
Hi, first post here. I completely bought into the BBB method. I have my Liquidator up and running and bags of bakeing soda and boxes of Borax in the shed. Been buying my liquid chlorine from Namco in 5 gallon jugs, 12.5%. One draw back is that there is a deposit of $6 for each jug, but you do get that back when you return it. Just bough two jugs at $13.99 each. That was after a 20% discount coupon that I receive via email as a Namco Rewards Club Member. Seems that I get a discount email about once a week.
Any way that works out to be $0.17 per oz if I've calculated correctly.

Also, just want to than you all for the great information on this site.

That is where I used to get mine as well. Unfortunately my Namco store went out of business and is closing on 7/7 :(

brg88tx said:
just picked up a 3 pack box of walmart great value bleach 8.25% (3X121oz) for $6.00. it's usually $7.98 so I don't know if this bleach is older or what.

The Walmart G. Value I get usually has a manufactured date, in small print, on the bottle. Some times on bottom sometimes on side. The one I have today looks like this 13 122 11:41 tx:?? the ?? is smudged but it was made in TX on the 122 day (May 2) just before noon. :)

brg88tx said:
just picked up a 3 pack box of walmart great value bleach 8.25% (3X121oz) for $6.00. it's usually $7.98 so I don't know if this bleach is older or what.

There's a trick I found elsewhere on this forum for determining the age of consumer-grade bleach. This works for Clorox, and possibly other brands as well.

Above the label, there is a number stamped into the bottle that looks something like:

A83105XXXX

Here's how to identify the useful information:
A83105
A8: The plant the bleach was manufactured at
3: The last digit of the year it was manufactured (eg, 2013 = 3)
105: The day of the year it was manufactured (eg, 105th day of 2013, or April 15, 2013)

ggoodwinj3 said:
BJ's in Cary NC has Austin's Shock for $13.99 a case - compared to the local pool supply that sells exactly the same product for $22/case.

Not sure if the product is available in other BJ stores/states.
Same product/price at BJ's in MD. 12.5% Qty. 4 gallons $0.219/oz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
... Daddy - I think you may have forgotten to multiply by the percent of the bleach. Your price will still be very good regardless of the percent (6 to 12) but more like 6 to 12 cents per oz of actual chlorine.

cortlinsdaddy said:
I work a part time job at Lowe's. I bought a pallet, 60 - 182oz jugs of Red Max Bleach for 81.00. Soooo this summer my Bleach is not quite a penny an ounce. Pretty good score.
(81.00/60)/(182*0.06)= $0.124/oz of NaClO...that is a good price. However we generally don't recommend storing too much bleach since it looses concentration over time. Make sure you keep what you got cool as possible (dont' freeze it though) and out of the sun. Also be aware that some of the cheaper brand of bleaches have more lye and instead of bleach being ph neutral, makes it net basic.

Also be aware that some of the cheaper brand of bleaches have more lye and instead of bleach being ph neutral, makes it net basic.

Linen, I've seen that before, is there a way to test your bleach for that? Other than just the effect it has on your pool which could be hard to isolate to just the bleach.

msgtdan said:
Linen, I've seen that before, is there a way to test your bleach for that? Other than just the effect it has on your pool which could be hard to isolate to just the bleach.
That is a good question that I do not know the answer to. I think one could measure the ph of it as chem geek indicates here, but I am not entirely sure what would be good or bad.

I think one could measure the ph of it as chem geek indicates here, but I am not entirely sure what would be good or bad.

So looking at that you want the bleach to stay under 12 PH, anything over would have excess lye. The Tandil I've been using has 12.31 ph so is probably contributing to ph rise. After I use up my current batch I'll try Clorox and see how much less acid I have to use. Then see if it's worth worrying about the cost difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.