Bleach prices 2013

Okay, my local Walmart has 2 gallons HTH 10% liquid chlorine for $6.47, or $0.253 / oz NaClO. Walmart's prices definitely vary from store to store.
This is just a hair under what Home Depot sells it for.

The best I've found locally is a small hole-in-the-wall independent pool store I just found this weekend. They have $14.65 for 4 gallons 12.5% (HASA brand), or $0.229 / oz NaClO.

thehowheels said:
Okay, my local Walmart has 2 gallons HTH 10% liquid chlorine for $6.47, or $0.253 / oz NaClO. Walmart's prices definitely vary from store to store.
This is just a hair under what Home Depot sells it for.

$6.47 is the same price for the 10% HTH chlorine at my local Walmart in Phoenix AZ. I checked Lowes and Home Depot around where I live over the weekend as well and though I don't remember the exact price, I do remember it wasn't better than Walmart.

Price per container/#oz in container x %bleach

So, if a gallon which = 128 oz. is 12% bleach 128 x .12 = 15.36 oz. of bleach in that gallon.

$2.75 / 15.36 oz. = $.179 per oz.

fritz614 said:
I have punched the numbers in from the various prices and I am not able to grasp how you are coming up with the price per ounce price. Can someone spell it out for me?

I'll take 1 gallon of 8.25% bleach as an example at a cost of $3.49 per gallon.

Multiply the bottle oz by the percentage/strength of the bleach then device into the dollar amount.

$3.49 / (128 oz * .0825) =

$3.49 / 10.56 =

$0.3304924 (33 cents) per ounce

I think its generally accepted that closer to 20 cents per ounce is considered a good price.

EDIT: Look likes others beat me too it.

Fancypants said:
duraleigh said:
the 12% I get here in NC is $13.75 per 5 gallon container....up only 25 cents from $13.50 last year.

Where do you get yours? I work/live around Burlington/Greensboro NC and am having a hard time finding anything stronger than 6%.

Since Walmart is a national chain, have looked there? I found they actually have liquid chlorine cheaper than bleach. At my local Walmart in Phoenix AZ they have a 2 gallon bundle of 10% liquid chlorine for $6.47 (plus or minus a few cents).

equates to:

$6.47 / (256 oz * .10 [10% strength]) = 25 cents per ounce. Its about middle of the road as far as value.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thykon said:
Menards stores in Wisconsin are also doing the BOGO deal on 12.5% in 128 ounce bottles. Just picked up 7 cases

256 ounces for $4 ~ 12.5 cents an ounce

Sale runs a few more days yet, may make a return trip for more.

Want to ship some to California for me? I'll trade you some sunlight :sunny:

thehowheels said:
Thykon said:
Menards stores in Wisconsin are also doing the BOGO deal on 12.5% in 128 ounce bottles. Just picked up 7 cases

256 ounces for $4 ~ 12.5 cents an ounce

Sale runs a few more days yet, may make a return trip for more.

Want to ship some to California for me? I'll trade you some sunlight :sunny:

Seriously, best I have come up with is about $0.21 at a place on the opposite side of town. Although just the Lowes/HD stuff is $0.26, so not really worth the fuel to go get it.

I don't know about Walmarts around everyone else, but my Walmart price matches. I know Menards in Angola Indiana has the sale a case of 4, 1 gallon containers of 12% for $8 and then Rural King has a case of 4, 1 gallon 10% for 9.99. I've bought from all of these places, but when I can't get to Rual King or Menards I'll just go to Walmart and they will price match the Rural King Price for me. Worth a try.

$15.98 for 4gal case of 10% at Leslie's in Houston (43rd and 290). Went in for a light gasket ... first time I've seen Liquid in there.

I keep coming up with .31 per oz ??

The local HD has thier 8.25 at $2.99 That would make the .29 per oz the way to go

Went to Walmart, and they are sold out of their GV Bleach which is 8.25%. I think the price was $2.49 for 121 oz.

They had plenty of Clorox Ultra which was 121 oz for $3.50.

Stopped at my local Leslie's Pool Supplies, and they have 2 bottles of 12% Liquid Chlorine for $11.99.

I guess I'm waiting until Walmart gets their store brand back in stock. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.