Black Algae take over! New home owner/first time pool owner struggles against invasion!

@JamesW @jesse-99
Hey Guys, i have an update. the heater definitely does not work as water was spraying all over the place. then the vitamin C Tablets did nothing after sitting on a step for a few minutes. What's next?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 24
Read through these threads for more information about copper stains.

Hey everyone! Wanted to reach out for some advice/ comments on my current process. I am a new pool owner 3 weeks in! Pool was stagnant for a few months prior to moving in (a lot of issues with closing but they cancelled all their maintenance services at original date). We moved in with a swamp in the back yard.

After using the pool stores advice for 2 weeks, I decided to reach out online. I got tons of helpful advice but everyone directs me to TFP so I finally decided to try here for a progress review/advice.

I have a 35,000 gal gunite chlorine pool with sand filter. It’s currently sitting at 10.5 FC, .5 CC, and 0 CYA (using k-2006). I’ve been running pump 24/7, and back flushing filter every morning. There is a pretty bad black algae invasion that I just started scrubbing with a stainless brush (against the pool stores opinion). One day after it’s definitely cleared up some, maybe 5-10%, primarily on the walls as the floor seems more difficult to scrub. I am trying to maintain 12 FC just to kill the algae but I am not sure if that’s the right thing to do. Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Also is it safe for me to swim in to scrub the floors better? Thank you all!
You need an iron cobalt remover. We would try that first and worst case scenario, drain pool and acid wash it.
1687732966487.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need an iron cobalt remover. We would try that first and worst case scenario, drain pool and acid wash it.
Sodium Erythorbate or Erythorbic acid is a stereoisomer of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

So, it is basically equivalent to ascorbic acid.

The main products to remove metal stains are Ascorbic acid, Citric acid, Oxalic acid and Sulfamic acid.

In my opinion, sulfamic acid is the most effective on copper stains.

1687743381175.png

Hey All,

So the Stain Test did not reveal any winners. Meaning none of them removed the discoloration. The first step on the test though was to rub a chlorine tablet on the wall (which i did in the photo by spelling "but". it seems this is organic and not a stain. My plan is to make a rig to hold a number of tablets and scrub the entire interior. Is there any concern with me being in the water during this? I have a FV level of 5 right now. any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 70981725996__A5F05E0F-A264-4F6D-B971-E1042F7322D4 (002).jpeg
    70981725996__A5F05E0F-A264-4F6D-B971-E1042F7322D4 (002).jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 11
It might be organic based on the tests, but I really don't know what it is.

I would do a SLAM with lots of brushing to see what happens.

If you have copper and black algae, the stains will probably get worse and better.

A SLAM will clear black algae (eventually) but it will make copper stains worse.

Overall, they left you with a mess that will be difficult to deal with.

Using my fingernail I cannot scrape anthing off. Sorry, i dont really have a reference. When you mention scrape im thinking it should come off like peeling up moss from the ground. if i take the stainless brush to it, it clouds up but doesnt necessarily come off. It has a waxy texture to it prior to brushing. I scrubbed my first 4x4 section today. will share what happens.

It does not look like black algae exactly but not exactly like copper either, so I really do not know what you have.

The scrape test does not indicate black algae and the stain ID does not indicate copper.

You might need someone to come out and take a look.

Maybe an acid wash will work.

You can try a SLAM or maybe a sulfamic acid treatment or a zero alkalinity treatment to see if something works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.