Black Algae and High Copper

Black algae is a type of bacteria, which is like a toxic black mold.

If it were black algae, you would be able to scrape some off and it would be blue/green and spongy like mold.

To me, it looks like copper.

If it cannot be scrapped off like mold, then I think that it is probably copper.

The stains are very bad and deep and the plaster might be ruined and the only solution might be to remove the existing plaster and replaster.

You can try the Jack’s product if you want, but do your own research to understand all of the pros and cons as well as the costs and risks.

Maybe contact Jack’s to see what they think since they deal with a lot of copper stain treatments.

Draining to remove the copper will be required to prevent a reoccurrence, however, the pool can pop out of the ground if the water table is high, so you need to verify that it is safe to drain and refill.

Also, the plaster can dry out and delaminate if it gets too hot during the drain and refill, so you have to be very careful.

I would recommend a local professional to advise you before you decide what to do so you can make an informed decision and understand all costs and risks.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I used Kitchen wire brush as I do not have wire brush for pool currently, it looks like I can scrap off some portion of it near the steps as shown in the picture. Is that Copper stain you see in the picture?

Attachments

• 20230509_145417.jpg
    20230509_145417.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 28

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your signature says salt pool, but I do not see a salt system.

Do you have current pictures of the system?

I see a tab feeder, which can cause some really bad chemistry if you are not managing it continuously.

What is the worst that the chemistry ever got?

What are the current chemistry readings?

Pull the filter cartridges and look for turquoise and/or black colors, which would be good evidence of copper.

You can also drain and sand the entire surface to try to remove the copper stains.

Maybe try the Jack’s first and then be prepared to acid wash and/or do a thorough sanding using diamond sanding discs on power sanders.

Get local professional advice before deciding what to do.

Your signature says salt pool, but I do not see a salt system.

Do you have current pictures of the system?

I see a tab feeder, which can cause some really bad chemistry if you are not managing it continuously.

What is the worst that the chemistry ever got?

What are the current chemistry readings?

Pull the filter cartridges and look for turquoise and/or black colors, which would be good evidence of copper.

You can also drain and sand the entire surface to try to remove the copper stains.

Maybe try the Jack’s first and then be prepared to acid wash and/or do a thorough sanding using diamond sanding discs on power sanders.

Get local professional advice before deciding what to do.
attached are the updated picture and latest test of water done today. When I opened the filters one week back it was showing green color all on filters.

Attachments

• 20230509_172025.jpg
    20230509_172025.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230509_173747.jpg
    20230509_173747.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 23
In my opinion, everything points to copper.

You will have to decide about how you want to proceed with trying to remedy the situation.

Maybe see what Jack's says about using their #2 copper and scale treatment.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I agree with @JamesW on this. All signs point to over use of copper minerals. If you have extensive staining like that AND your water is still testing at 1ppm dissolved copper ions, then you had a very excessive high copper concentration that scaled out of solution and stained the plaster.

Jacks Magic sells a Stain ID kit. Before you do anything, I would suggest you use that kit to identify the stains. Throwing more “magic potions” at the pool as per the Leslie’s suggestions is only going to make matters worse. You need to stop, take a break and get more information before you continue spending money. This problem did not develop overnight and it will not be solved in a day. The first step is to positively identify the stain. Copper is the most likely suspect.

Reactions: PoolStored
When I opened the filters one week back it was showing green color all on filters.
If the green was blue/green or turquoise, then that certainly sounds like copper.

If you can show the cartridges, I can get a better idea.

The flapper on the check valve has what looks like copper stains.

1683675073125.png
img_1907-jpg.52213

Last edited:
What are these two things?

Is one the ionizer?

View attachment 490225
Black marked piece is the ionizer, it turns on when pump is on and turn off when pump off. Currently I turned off. Blue marked one is the scale blaster.

Ok, it looks like the system also has silver ions, which can also create bad metal stains like brown etc.

I would see what Jack's recommends and maybe try their #2 copper and scale stuff and then maybe have diamond sanding equipment ready to sand and polish everything when the pool is drained to get rid of anything that the # 2 copper and scale stuff does not remove.

Take all necessary precautions and do your research to understand all costs, risks and potential benefits.

I recommend that you consult with a local professional expert to help you decide what to do and to create a plan that is safe and effective.

1683677746150.png

Ok, it looks like the system also has silver ions, which can also create bad metal stains like brown etc.

I would see what Jack's recommends and maybe try their #2 copper and scale stuff and then maybe have diamond sanding equipment ready to sand and polish everything when the pool is drained to get rid of anything that the # 2 copper and scale stuff does not remove.

Take all necessary precautions and do your research to understand all costs, risks and potential benefits.

I recommend that you consult with a local professional expert to help you decide what to do and to create a plan that is safe and effective.

View attachment 490227
I contacted Jacks' they are sending test kit to me to test. Thank you for taking time to look at the info and making suggestions.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.