Best Way to Remove Silt After Opening

Woody007

Aug 20, 2020
Midwest US
I have a mesh cover that lets fine material through during the winter. Water was very clear at opening but had a layer of fine silt all over the bottom.
Pumping to waste is hard for me to do by myself because I have a hard time with the adapter plate staying on the skimmer.
The bag on my pressure side cleaner isn't fine enough to trap it either.
What about those battery-operated vacuums that go on a pole? Will they trap the ultra-fine stuff, or will it blow through them too?
Is there a better adapter for the skimmer that will stay on?
I end up sweeping it towards the bottom drain and eventually it's all gone, but is there a better way?

My robot cleaner has an optional fine silt container which gets everything. Perhaps consider a robot cleaner. Not battery the plug-in kind.

The bag on my pressure side cleaner isn't fine enough to trap it either.

What cleaner do you have with what bag?

I end up sweeping it towards the bottom drain and eventually it's all gone, but is there a better way?

Nope.

I pay my pool service to bring out their standalone vacuum rig and do a cleanup at pool opening.

full

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I have a hard time with the adapter plate staying on the skimmer.
Is it the right plate ? They make a few sizes.
Or you need to turn off all other suction legs to have enough flow on the vac plate.

Or stick the hose directly in the skimmer hole and rely on the pump basket to catch any larger debris.

Your choice if you vac to waste or use the filter and then clean the filter.

I brushed my shallow end clean, then was real gentle with the slope and walls to get most the silt in the deep end. It took 3 attempts once a day so it could settle and now I will only need to vac a small area to waste.

Reactions: Woody007
I vacuum very slowly by hand so that I don't stir up the fine dirt. On my last pool, I had a Polaris pressure side cleaner. I wouldn't use it for the first cleaning not so much for the fine dirt going through the bag. I didn't use it because the tail sweeping back and forth would stir up the fine dirt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has more flow then you need. You may be able to put a valve on the suction pipe to lower it.

Make then a $50 offer and haggle.
Does it matter if the pump is designed for above ground pool? Will they all self-prime and pull from the pool bottom or does it need to be for in-ground pool?
I never heard back from the seller on the one above so I'm still shopping.

On a good note, the pool is crystal clear and clean now.
It took a couple of days of brushing and running the 280 with a fine mesh bag but the silt is gone, and I didn't have to backwash the DE filter either.

That is a 1HP Hayward Superflo pump. It will draw 15 amps which can overload a normal respectable.

The 3/4HP in post #3 only draws 11amps at 120V which can work with a 15amp 120V outlet.

That is a 1HP Hayward Superflo pump. It will draw 15 amps which can overload a normal respectable.

The 3/4HP in post #3 only draws 11amps at 120V which can work with a 15amp 120V outlet.
Darn, I didn't think about that current draw on 110v.
It was only $50 so I thought I'd give it a try. I haven't seen any other pumps with lower HP.
I'm planning on using threaded barb fittings that are snug on pool vacuum hose. Probably a 90 on exit. That will work, won't it?
Thanks

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support