Best, most inexpensive heater?

foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
Hey all !

I've read the article on how to heat pools and now jumping in to the forums I don't see any posts about what's the most inexpensive heater? It sounds like a propane fed heater is the way to go, so is there a general consensus? I have an 18' above ground Bestway, so I don't have a lot of water to heat. Hoping to heat this cold northern water up before my little girl's birthday in a week! Thanks!

Hey all !

I've read the article on how to heat pools and now jumping in to the forums I don't see any posts about what's the most inexpensive heater? It sounds like a propane fed heater is the way to go, so is there a general consensus? I have an 18' above ground Bestway, so I don't have a lot of water to heat. Hoping to heat this cold northern water up before my little girl's birthday in a week! Thanks!
reggie is right, there is no cheap heat. Also 18ft pool is indeed a lot of water to heat. You're best option is redneck pool heater. Google it and be amazed. Also be careful.

lol

Cheapest real propane pool heater is a Raypack 106a for $1500 + complicated install.

Cheapest practical heater is a Fafco Solar Bear + semi complicated install.

The absolute cheapest way to get that pool warm immediately is 3 1500w immersion heaters off amazon and extension cords 3x 1500w makes 15k BTU. Plenty of hazards abound, don't touch the water while they're in, and only run them under supervision.

Running hot water slowly from your water heater so it can keep up might be as good of a plan as the immersion heaters though.

Last edited:
I would also recommend a solar cover so that you can retain as much heat as possible over night.

Edit:
Found this, not sure if there is a US version?

Edit:
Also you can look for "Inline Bath Heater" We have a Jacuzzi tub in our bathroom that uses this.

Last edited:
I just installed a Raypak 30-i heat pump in my 9 x 18 above ground pool. It was $1,350 and works great! You do have to run 240 v power to it, but otherwise install is simple and easy. It raises the temp in my pool around 4 - 8 degrees per day, running about 8 - 12 hours.

I have a Fibropool FH120. More info in this thread. It works great for me in Minnesota. My 18' pool has been 80 degrees since early May. We do use a solar cover when we aren't using it. I loved the fact that I didn't have to run a 220 line. I just use a regular old extension cord to power it. Unfortunately, prices have risen a ton since 2021 when I bought it for $1k. They also have a better, more efficient 120 volt option now ... Fibropool FH135 but it is $1700.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.