Best cover for keeping mom's pool closed long-term

So, if safety is the main factor here because it will be a similar swamp with leaves on top soon enough, what about leaving it be and securing the backyard instead ?

Install keyed deadbolts on the back door and use wood strips secured to the outside window frames so they can't open. Also lock the fence so there's no easy access from the front.

I think that cover may rip and fall in if we get a 3 foot snow pack. Then they will have a much bigger pool cleanup.

That forest growing on the cover must be cleaned off and the cover condition assessed if it will no be replaced..

Reactions: Bperry
So, if safety is the main factor here because it will be a similar swamp with leaves on top soon enough, what about leaving it be and securing the backyard instead ?
Hmm - no, I don't think safety is the main factor because I don't think anybody should be going back there. Locking the fence gate won't be practical though because of the landscaper.

I am concerned about whether waiting will cause the cover to cave in with all the mess that is currently on it, as well as whether that creates any violation with the town. Of course safety is a concern and we don't want anybody to get hurt if somebody was to somehow fall onto the cover.

I think that cover may rip and fall in if we get a 3 foot snow pack. Then they will have a much bigger pool cleanup.

That forest growing on the cover must be cleaned off and the cover condition assessed if it will no be replaced..
Three feet? I can't remember any time we have ever had three feet of snow there. But it sounds like I will need to have it cleaned off regardless. The argument to just replace it now is that the prices will likely only continue to increase, so I'm not sure if there is anything to gain by kicking the can down the road unless it is for more than just a few months.

It really does better then that. The tradeoff is you ingest more tree debris into the pump that clogs it.

I decided to look on the manufacturer's website. Both HD and Amazon are wrong on their specifications. Imagine that. The manufacturer lists the pump coming on at 2.5" of water and off at 1". Tree debris was not a problem at my pool.

no, I don't think safety is the main factor
It is, but hopefully not immediately as it's early Altzheimers. Even if you have full time aides at some point, many cared for persons have still escaped. As it progresses she may find herself out back, confused, possibly in the dark.

She won't until she does. Start thinking of those kind of things now. I'm sorry to make you go there mentally, I only mean to help. :hug:

At that point, you need a secure pool (new cover) or a secure yard. One confused moment is all it would take, even now.
But it sounds like I will need to have it cleaned off regardless
Either way, yes. It's supporting actual dirt with waist high weeds growing on it. And then it will rain/snow and there's only so much even a healthy cover can hold.
so I'm not sure if there is anything to gain by kicking the can down the road unless it is for more than just a few months
One thing the last few years taught us was that a bird in the hand beat twice as expensive birds in the bush. Or bush birds that were backordered for 18 months, and also marked up 100%.

Reactions: lbeachmike
The pool company through a curveball at me today, so I have an additional question about the cover ...

They said if I was going to use a pump that LoopLoc has a solid cover with a pump (for $170 more.) They said there is no drain panel in the cover and it comes with an automatic pump.

I do not think this is what I want. Are any of you familiar with the difference?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They said if I was going to use a pump that LoopLoc has a solid cover with a pump (for $170 more.) They said there is no drain panel in the cover and it comes with an automatic pump.
$5 says its a little giant pump and the original solid cover. :ROFLMAO:

Even if it's a different pump, it will be subject to the same things (Clogs and freezing shortening it's life).

If the pump leaves an inch of water on the cover, what prevents that from being an issue? Getting mucky and growing stuff like what happened with our cover? An inch evaporates quickly enough?
The remaining water isn't distributed evenly across the cover. It gathers in a small area around the pump due to the weight/imprint of the pump on the cover, amounting to less than a half gallon or so.

then just drain the excess water from the pool once each year before winter?
It averages 43 inches of annual rainfall by Moms so many small drains from the cover is probably preferable. You would need to drain under the cover a few times a year and it's sporadic. It might be twice in 3 months than not again for 5 months.

How often will you visit ? Once a month would be enough to keep an eye on it and drain when needed, if you wanted to go mesh or solid with a drain/mesh.

Will that cause stuff to get murky and grow around the pump?
Depends on how long it sits there. I live in a hot desert so it doesn't last more than a day even in winter.

Hard to guess how long it would last for you, but can't imagine it's long enough to cause such an issue. Also, if you remove the pump for a stretch of dry weather, then water will spread and evaporate more quickly.

Last edited:
My pool was closed a month ago. I have not touched my pump or cover in that time with whatever rains we have had. This is the way it looks now.

Once in a while I will move the pump and sweep the crud off the center of the cover with my pool brush.

The cover dips in the middle and that is where you put the pump and where water will pool.

You can also see patches I have put on tears on the 20 year old Meyco cover.

If the pump leaves an inch of water on the cover, what prevents that from being an issue? Getting mucky and growing stuff like what happened with our cover? An inch evaporates quickly enough?
IMG_1790.jpegIMG_1789.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.