Before I buy first above ground pool...

Hi. I'm planning on buying my first pool ever; INTEX 26711EH As you can see I'm on a budget.
I don't like chlorine pools much, so I thought I would buy a saltwater chlorinator system and add it to the pool. I'm considering INTEX 26661EG QS200. I see I need a sand filter to go with that. Maybe Bestway Flowclear or BLUBERY 13".

Am I on the right track? Would I be better off with a kit that includes multiple items, if that exits?

My plan is to build a level pad and have the pool rest on a 2" top layer of pea gravel. Is that acceptable?

What am I missing? Thanks

Welcome to TFP,
the Intex SWG is very popular and effective chlorination that has been used by many members. Sometimes you can find the pool in the size you want in a package that comes with the SWG, you may have to try other retailers. Read up on the articles below and watch the videos.

once you get your pool, buy a good test kit

A sand filter is good idea but you can use the Intex cartridge filters and rinse them, when I had my first ring pool Intex, I had 2 spare intex cartridges that I would replace and then clean them and re-use.

building a good stable base is key to a level pool which is a must, pea gravel will work. If you search Intex builds you will see allot,of our members build with pictures with different ideas. Here was mine when I did an 18 foot Intex a few years ago …

Last edited:
I don't like chlorine pools much, so I thought I would buy a saltwater chlorinator system
Saltwater pools are chlorine pools. Just a different way to deliver the chlorine. Also, most chlorine pools are salt pools, too, because every time you add chlorine, you add some salt, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.