Bead blasting tile to remove calcium stains?

jamieSATX

Nov 1, 2022
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have some calcium stains on the tile of our pool/spa combo. The tile is original from when the pool was built in 2010 (we just moved into the house and took over the pool earlier this year).

A local pool company sent an e-mail advertisement for a bead blasting service which they claim "will remove the white, crusty build up on your pool tile and make your tile look good as new." Their quote for our pool/spa is $1,300.

I was wondering what anyone thinks of using bead blasting to clean the tile? Are there any risks that the bead blasting could hurt the tile? Would this help extend the life of the tile so can wait some more time before replacing it? Are there alternatives to bead blasting that we should consider?

I'm attaching some pics of the calcium buildup on the tile, plus the whole pool/spa setup.

Thanks for any advice that you have!

Attachments

• IMG_6715.jpg
    IMG_6715.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6716.jpg
    IMG_6716.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6719.jpg
    IMG_6719.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 30
We have some calcium stains on the tile of our pool/spa combo. The tile is original from when the pool was built in 2010 (we just moved into the house and took over the pool earlier this year).

A local pool company sent an e-mail advertisement for a bead blasting service which they claim "will remove the white, crusty build up on your pool tile and make your tile look good as new." Their quote for our pool/spa is $1,300.

I was wondering what anyone thinks of using bead blasting to clean the tile? Are there any risks that the bead blasting could hurt the tile? Would this help extend the life of the tile so can wait some more time before replacing it? Are there alternatives to bead blasting that we should consider?

I'm attaching some pics of the calcium buildup on the tile, plus the whole pool/spa setup.

Thanks for any advice that you have!
Is it actual bead blasting or is it soda blasting? In might want to figure out why the scale is there before spending money removing it since it might just come back. You can try using the poolmath app to track you water testing and that’ll give people here a way to see what might be going on.

Is it actual bead blasting or is it soda blasting? In might want to figure out why the scale is there before spending money removing it since it might just come back. You can try using the poolmath app to track you water testing and that’ll give people here a way to see what might be going on.
Thanks for your response! It's bead blasting, though I need to check which kind of beads they would be using.

You're right that we should figure out the origin of the scale. My guess is that it's because of the previous owners who didn't maintain good pool chemistry, as the scale was already there when we moved in and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. We have hard water here in San Antonio, so CH levels can definitely creep up.

Since we moved in, I've been testing the water multiple times a week. CH is around 350, which seems okay (and I don't use cal hypo products; only liquid chlorine and non-chlorine shock). The FC is usually around 4, the pH around 7.8, adjusted TA around 100, and CYA around 65.

Thanks for your response! It's bead blasting, though I need to check which kind of beads they would be using.

You're right that we should figure out the origin of the scale. My guess is that it's because of the previous owners who didn't maintain good pool chemistry, as the scale was already there when we moved in and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. We have hard water here in San Antonio, so CH levels can definitely creep up.

Since we moved in, I've been testing the water multiple times a week. CH is around 350, which seems okay (and I don't use cal hypo products; only liquid chlorine and non-chlorine shock). The FC is usually around 4, the pH around 7.8, adjusted TA around 100, and CYA around 65.
Depending on which kit you used to measure those numbers that puts your CSI around .23 which is on the positive “scaling” side of zero (but still a decent range) You might consider getting it below zero and see if that help or even removes the scale for free over time.

Here's what you can do:

First, lower you TA to about 55-65, lower CYA to 50 and lower your pH to around 7-7.2 for about 3-4 days. Keep the water filled enough that it will be right at the water line, allowing the scale to be covered.

After 3 days, lower the water line to about 1/2" below scale line. get some 3M scour pads, dip it in vinegar, then put a pinch of baking soda on the pad [it will foam] and quickly hit your scale line. Rub in a circular pattern w a fair amt of pressure, then move horizontally w the scale line...that should break up and remove that scale. NOTE: Hopefully you have some spare tile in the garage. Try the above on a new, exact same tile as yours and she what, if anything, it does to the finish. Scales are removed by acid based products....you can do this on tile and glasses, but not softer more lime-based stones like travertine &, slate.

Also, if you have a power washer in excess of 3000psi, you can try this too w it set on the most narrow [highest PSI] setting. Be careful not to hit the grout lines bc it could remove portions w a direct hit at close distance. This technique will of course require that the scale line be soaked in a 7.0 - 7,2 pH water as above. Unless you are not a DIY or have no kids in college, then handing out $1300 might better fix your portfolio....good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.