Denali2011

May 23, 2023
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am new here and have questions about my pH and Alk. Pool came with house we just bought in Dec. It is 14000 gal plaster. Looks like it was not maintained well in past. Minimal staining on bottom, considerable paint loss on bottom, beige build up on sides that will not brush off even with metal bristles. Treated twice for yellow algae, hope I have it under control now. Currently using cal hypo, will switch to beach when I run out of my current stock. Removed floating tab duckies 2 months ago. Partial draining is not really an option so I am riding out the 90 CYA until fall when we plan to have pool resurfaced.My alk is consistently 110, pH is constantly 8. Keeping FC at 7 and above, I shoot for 11. CH 280. Water temp 88. I use pool math to calculate. I do my own testing but do confirm these numbers at the pool store. I live in Texas. My questions are as follows:
Is it normal to add 1 qt muratic acid everyday? pH comes down but by next day it is always back to 8
Is it normal to add 2 lbs shock every other day?
When using Pool Math calculator should I be using the true alk number of 110 or the cya corrected number of 80?
Why will my pH not stay down in the recommended range for any length of time?

Thanks for any help provided.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The PoolMath APP takes into account all TA parameters so you don't have to do anything else but enter your valid test result from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. To help control the rate of pH rising, use enough muriatic acid to lower the pH from 8.0 to about 7.0-7.2. That larger amount of acid will chip away at the TA. Once the pH hits 8.0, repeat. Keep doing that until the TA gets down to about 50-60. That should help quite a bit.

As for the FC, you'll need to add chlorine each day. It's what we do as pool owners. Refer to the FC/CYA Levels to ensure your FC is in the proper range. Perhaps in the future you can get a salt water generator to break away from liquid dumping.

Also be sure to see our Pool Care Basics page. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Welcome to TFP! Denali, Yes adding muriatic acid will be ongoing until you can get your TA down. Then you’ll still be adding MA just not as often.

What is your fill water pH, TA and CH? You are adding water either through an auto fill or manual long via the hose. It’s good to know what those values are. If your fill TA is high it will keep driving your pH up.

Last question, what test kit are you using? Add it to your signature. Which displays at the bottom of each of your posts.

Thanks so much Texas Splash, I will keep at it with the muratic acid. Just thought I might be missing something important that was causing the high pH. Also think I will switch adding chlorine to 1 lb daily instead of 2 lbs every other day. Might keep chlorine numbers more level.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Welcome to TFP! Denali, Yes adding muriatic acid will be ongoing until you can get your TA down. Then you’ll still be adding MA just not as often.

What is your fill water pH, TA and CH? You are adding water either through an auto fill or manual long via the hose. It’s good to know what those values are. If your fill TA is high it will keep driving your pH up.

Last question, what test kit are you using? Add it to your signature. Which displays at the bottom of each of your posts.
Thanks Brad, adding water via the hose, Embarrassed to say that I never thought to test my fill water, will do this today but I bet that's part of the reason. Got my signature squared away as well. Glad to be part of TFP community.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.