Baffled ! Water Test Results ???

Ok...that equates to about 1 jug of bleach (91 oz to be precise). If I understand correctly; add the bleach, wait about 1 hour, take the reading and if it's at 10 record the FC. If not add more bleach to get it to 10 then record the FC. Correct ?

Sarah said:
Ok...that equates to about 1 jug of bleach (91 oz to be precise). If I understand correctly; add the bleach, wait about 1 hour, take the reading and if it's at 10 record the FC. If not add more bleach to get it to 10 then record the FC. Correct ?
Getting it to 10 should be done tonight after the sun is off the pool. If it is not quite 10 (but at least 7-8) it should be fine for the OCLT. Make sure you wait 1 hour with the pump running after dosing to get an accurate number.

At 8:00 pm (7/13) the FC = 6.5 (really hot & sunny here).
Added 2 - 96 oz jgs bleach.
9:00 p.m.: FC = 11
(7/14) 7:00 a.m. Reading:
FC: 9.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 100
CH: 280
CYA: 30
Water is crystal clear.

So that was a 1.5 loss.
PC indicated to add 101 oz of liquid stabilizer (which I haven't done, yet, but will after I brush the walls & skim)
So whadaya think ? Problem ?? :hammer: Victory ??? :party:

Sarah said:
9:00 p.m.: FC = 11
(7/14) 7:00 a.m. Reading:
FC: 9.5

So whadaya think ? Problem ?? :hammer: Victory ??? :party:

Gotta have all three of these to pass:
1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm
2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less
3. The water is crystal clear.

So it looks like you need to get it up to shock levels for a while and keep checking. The 1.5ppm loss is > thean the 1.0 max.

This is frustrating !
To date:
7/13:
7:30 a.m FC: 8.5
8:00 p.m. FC: 6.5 (Added 2-96oz bleach)
9:00 p.m. FC: 11
7/14:
8:00 a.m. FC: 9.5
8:00 p.m. FC: 6.5 (Added 3-96 oz bleach)
9:00 p.m. FC: 13
7/15: 8:00 a.m. FC: 9
(Got food poisioning on 7/15 and didn't touch pool until today)
Throughout pH is stable; CC: 0 and water is crystal clear !
7/17: FC: 4.5
pH: 7.5
CC: 0
TA: 100
CH: 290
CYA: 40
Water is crystal clear !
PC indicated the pool was "Balanced" and suggested no additives.
Because I have lost more FC than normal, I am going to go through the shocking process. I will add 6.6 jugs to bring FC up to 15 and do an OCLT tonight. (I have 20 jgs of bleach, hope that's enough to clear up whatever problems I having)
:hammer:

I notice your morning tests are at 8:00 am. I don't know about Va but here in Al the sun has been on the pool an hour or more by that time. Just throwing that out there as a possible reason.

Your numbers don't indicate anything wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because of the tree's in my yard, and the postion of the pool (on the western side of the yard) the sun hit's my pool about 9 - 9:30 a.m. and stays there until 7:30 or 8:00 p.m.. I've been trying to make sure the entire pool is sun free, prior to OCLT; which is normally about 8:00 p.m.
It's normally dark here after 8:45 - 9:00 p.m. I'm up between 6:30 - 7:00 a.m. I can certainely take a 7:00 a.m reading if you think that's a factor.

Re-read your reply, and want to clarify something.
Do you think that there is nothing wrong with the pool ?
Or that I'm taking the reading too late in the day?
Because I thought, that if you did an OCLT and experienced greater than a 1 loss of FC (along with the other factors, which in my case have remained consistent (cc=0 & clear water)), it was an indication of a problem. My numbers support that hypothesis, which is why I'm going to do an OCLT tonight. Just trying to understand.

This is not good. :?
PC indicated 6.6 - 96oz jgs. I added 7 at 7:50 p.m.(7/17)
9:30 p.m. (7/17)
FC: 20.6
CC: 1
Water clear.
6:00 a.m (7/18)
FC: 17.5 (2.5 loss)

pH: 8.2
TA: 90
CSI: 0.62
Water clear

PC went berserk ! (Top read "Balanced"; Bottom: "Scaling Likely". Plus: Add 45 oz muriatic acid; 68 oz baking soda.
I refreshed and calculated again; Same Results ???
PC suggests my shock ppm at 15. I'm going to take a reading at 12:00 pm and keep the ppm at shock value and do another OCLT tonight. I'm not going to add the other recommendations, at this time, until I see what tomorrow's reading is. Thoughts? :idea:, Suggestions? :whip: Alcohol ! :brickwall:

Sarah said:
This is not good. :?

6:00 a.m (7/18)
FC: 17.5 (2.5 loss)

pH: 8.2
TA: 90
CSI: 0.62
Water clear

PC went berserk ! (Top read "Balanced"; Bottom: "Scaling Likely". Plus: Add 45 oz muriatic acid; 68 oz baking soda.
I refreshed and calculated again; Same Results ???

The high PH is a false positive. You cannot accurately measure the PH while you are at FC levels of > 10. Whatever PH you had before going above 10 would be what you would plug in for now. The CSI index is very sensitive to PH.

Wish I had read that before the 12:00 p.m reading, I would have saved myself the pH test.
Anyway, Went to the only shade on the pool (about 3 ft in a corner) and tested.
FC: 12
CC: .5 (so faint, I even may have imagined it)
pH: 8.0
Water clear.
PC indicated to add 1.9 - 96 oz jgs bleach to maintain 15ppm. I'm disregarding the rest since the pH reading is skewed)
After I adjusted the pH the CSI went back to -0.07 (whew ! I didn't even know what "scaling " was; had to go to forum).
Since I lost 5 ppm of FC since 6:00 a.m. I will check every couple of hours to maintain the 15 FC, UNLESS, I hear differently in the next 30 min. (I thought about just raising it tonight but then I wouldn't be in the shocking process)

Sarah said:
Anyway, Went to the only shade on the pool (about 3 ft in a corner) and tested.
FC: 12
CC: .5 (so faint, I even may have imagined it)
pH: 8.0
Water clear.
PC indicated to add 1.9 - 96 oz jgs bleach to maintain 15ppm. I'm disregarding the rest since the pH reading is skewed)
After I adjusted the pH the CSI went back to -0.07 (whew ! I didn't even know what "scaling " was; had to go to forum).
Since I lost 5 ppm of FC since 6:00 a.m. I will check every couple of hours to maintain the 15 FC, UNLESS, I hear differently in the next 30 min. (I thought about just raising it tonight but then I wouldn't be in the shocking process)

It sounds like you are doing it right, every few hours is better than I was able to manage when shocking. Keeping on top of it like that is preferred from what I understand.

All day yesterday was consumed :rant: with shocking.
7/18
12:00 p.m FC: 12, CC: 05, Water: Clear; Added 2 - 96oz jugs.
2:00 p.m FC: 14.5, CC: 0, Water: Clear; Added 3 Cups.
4:00 p.m FC:11.5, CC: 0, Water: Clear; Added 2 - 96 oz jugs.
8:00 p.m FC: 17, CC: 0, Water: Clear; No add
9:00 p.m. FC: 17, CC: 0, Water: Clear; No Add
7/19
6:00 a.m. FC: 15, CC: 0, Water : Clear; OCLT: -2
9:00 a.m. FC: 14.5, CC: 0, Water: Clear, Added 3 cups.

I'm going to continue shocking process, but it has been EXTREMELY hot & Sunny for the past 3 days. (100, 101, 100) Heat Index is 110. The night-time temps are in the upper 80's & low 90's. If I do manage to kill theses "contaminates" how often should I conduct OCLT? I have never seen any indication to do an OCLT (cloudy water, algea, etc). Could it be possible that I'm chasing ghosts :shark: ?

The sun is eating some of your FC during the day but you need to keep it at shock level until you pass the OCLT. Once you've passed it you will return to regular maintenance levels. You won't perform another OCLT unless you suspect something is going on in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.