Baffled ! Water Test Results ???

I'm not sure what you mean by "shocking process".
I shocked it on 6/24 (7 jgs) FC=1, CC=1; on 6/25 FC=13, CC=0.
Performed OCLT evening of 6/25 and 6/26 (today) posted results above.
Throughout all the drastic levels, and the bleach, baking soda & muriatic acid that has been added the pool has remained and is crystal clear. The question is: should I add the 12 bx of baking soda and leave home ? I'm going to put 2 - 3" tabs in both my skimmers; hopefully it will be fine when I return. :cry:

Sarah said:
I shocked it on 6/24 (7 jgs) FC=1, CC=1; on 6/25 FC=13, CC=0.
The way you wrote that makes me think you have not read or have not understood the shocking process ( linked too in my previous post). It is a process and not a one time application of chlorine. You hold your FC above your pools shock level until you pass all three criteria simultaneously.

What was your OCLT?

What was you CC level at the morning OCLT measurement?

The third criteria you have passed, since you water is crystal clear (and I am assuming no signs of anything on floor or walls).

Sarah said:
The question is: should I add the 12 bx of baking soda and leave home ? I'm going to put 2 - 3" tabs in both my skimmers; hopefully it will be fine when I return.
Until we know where you pool is in relation to the shocking process, it is hard to say. Since your TA is at 70 ppm, I wouldn't add the baking soda, until you know if you need it...our recommended range is 70-90+.

The way you wrote that makes me think you have not read or have not understood the shocking process ( linked too in my previous post).
I read & "thought" I understood the shocking process; it appears my terminology is not succint enough, but I thought you had read the previous posts.
When the CC = 1 & the FC = 1. the pool calc indicated to bring the FC up to 13 (which is "Shock Level"). I did that.

What was you CC level at the morning OCLT measurement?
CC = 0 (today's post)
Overnight FC loss was 3.5, and the water was clear. My filter is running at 12 psi so I haven't had to backwash in a few days.

We have had some nasty thunderstorms (6/23 3 1/2 " rain)
and yesterday (6/24 1 1/2" rain) which could attribute to the decrease in chlorine.

Thanks for the advice on the baking soda; I was worried about bringing the pH level so low while aI was away.

I am new to this forum, and I'm trying really hard to understand all the methodology. My original pool lasted 30 yrs; and I really wanted to convert to the BBB method and take advantage of all the expertise available (like yours) I'm just getting frustrated; I know that after I "balance" my pool, it will be much easier. Bear with me :slidehalo: .

Rain water shouldn't have caused that much drop in FC. Being that you lost 3.5 FC you need to continue the shock process. Test and adjust the FC as often as every hour. Do that until you pass all three criteria.
1. You lose 1 ppm or less FC overnight.
2. You have 0.5 ppm CC or less.
3. Your water is clear.

I think you've passed 2 of the 3, you just have to work on the FC loss.

Today's test results are looking better, to me !
FC: 2 (pool Calc goal = 2-6; MY goal set to 4)*
CC: 1 **
TC: 30
TA: 80
CH: 260
CYA: 30
pH: 7.5
*Pool calc indicates to add 121 oz bleach to raise it to 4.
However, I'm leaving for a couple weeks (in about 2 hours) so I will add the 3" tabs instead.
**Not sure why the CC elevated, but confused about WHY this isn't included in the Pool Calculator (is it derived somewhere else ? Not an important factor ?)
Pool Calc does NOT reccommend anything else except 101 oz of stablizer (which I'll add when I put in to tabs)
Pool is still crystal clear :party:
Hopefully I won't have to start ALL over again, when I return home. :wave:

Sarah, you need to follow the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool until you pass all three criteria simultaneously:

1. You lose 1 ppm or less FC overnight.
2. You have 0.5 ppm CC or less.
3. Your water is clear.

This means keep your FC level at (or even slightly above) your shocking FC level ALL THE TIME until you pass the three tests above. Your shocking FC level is 14 ppm (from poolcalculator and 30 ppm cya)...so yo should not be down at 2 right now.

CC does not show up on the pool calculator since it is a byproduct of chlorine in the pool and an indicator that you are fighting algae. When it is above 0.5 ppm, that is a bad thing and you need the shocking process to get it below 0.5 ppm.

Linen is giving you excellent advice. You need to follow it.

You need to adjust the pool calc targets to 14 FC, 7.5 pH, 80 TA, 260 CH, 30 CYA, No salt and no borates.

The pool calc suggested goals are for normal maintenance and doesn't take into account that you're shocking your pool. Once you've passed the OCLT as outlined above by both myself and Linen (and it's in both our sigs) you can return the goals to normal maintenance levels BUT not until you've absolutely passed.

Once you get back we can start the process over and hopefully then you'll have time to devote to getting it clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, got it. I understand what I did wrong. I just have too many balls in the air and interpreted the Shock Your Pool Instructions in error (Mea Culpa !). When I first joined I printed many of the topics out and read them; but with all the new acronymns & terminology I was digesting, it wasn't intuitive, to me, that shock level must be maintained until an OCLT was 1 or less (I think the wording in # 3 threw me). :oops:
Anyway, I'm leaving in 20 min, so I'll just have to start over when I get home. Thanks for all the support (& patience); I'm sure I'll need more in 2 weeks ! :cheers:
I really DO appreciate all the help :bowdown:

She's baaaaack !
Got back yesterday morning and took my first reading in the afternoon.
Before I left, I put in 4-3" Chlorinating tabs (Aqua Kem),While I was gone, my neighbor put in 8 (4 each week).
Yesterday (7/12): FC: 8.0; CC: 0; TA:60; CH: 270; CYA: 30
Recorded in Pool calculator (PC). Even though I suspected I would have to start the shocking process, I adhered to PC suggestions to add 273 oz baking soda (17 - 16oz bx).
Today (7/13): FC: 8.5; CC: 0; TA: 110; CH: 270; CYA: 40.
Recorded in PC and OMG !!!! Headline read "Balanced" !!! I quadruple checked my input, and all the fields indicated 0 additives. The only negative was the CSI at 0.08 (Not sure that the Temp is recorded correctly; am going to put a thermomenter in today).
I'm a little confused on how this could occur, given that our area had severe storms while I was gone. Also, if the FC is 8.5 and the calculated goal is 4 how could the pool be "Balanced" ?
Soooo now what ? Continue taking readings, and follow PC recommendations ? (BTW...HE ROCKS ! :goodjob: )
I actually was looking forward to doing the shocking process (now that I fully comprehend it)
I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, just trying to understand. Should I be concerened on the CSI reading ?

How does your water look?

What is your ph?

Our recommended level for TA if your a not going to use the pucks long term is 70-90+ ppm TA. I wouldn't worry about it, it should come down with additional lower of the ph you will likely need to do.

Water is cyrstal clear; pH was 7.5 today & 7.2 yesterday (ooops ! forgot to include that).
All in all, life is good !! Ducks are gone (neighbor squirted them with a water hose and brought his lab over)...water is balanced...polaris is working (had to replace all the bearings). Whoo Hoo !
Now about that CSI ? Should I get an accurate reading or just ignore PC warning ?

Thanks for the link. I will get an accurate reading and go from there.
THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP, PATIENCE AND ADVICE !!!
I'm equally "Baffled" by this sudden change, but I feel more confident that I can assess (and execute) the required actions needed to maintain a balanced pool.
Again, Thank You for all your help ! :bowdown:

Since your pool history suggests algae, before declaring victory, I would do a OCLT tonight, just in case you are still fighting something...it will be easier to catch it now then later. To do the OCLT I would raise you FC at least up to the top of the normal FC level for your cya level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.