Bad pump corrosion

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Have to replace this motor. Been running really loud for a while, getting worse. For some reason there's a lot sand/powder all over the casing that is coroding the pump. Anyone know what would be causing this? Pump is a few years old.

D1856028-_E825-4100-9_AB6-0808_E0_AD730_B.jpg

Probably a seal leak. I think that the metal is aluminum or magnesium, which can corrode pretty quickly under the right conditions.

The motors are made as cheaply as possible using the lowest cost materials and parts.

The bearings are especially susceptible to corrosion if they get wet. Once the bearings begin to corrode, they disintegrate quickly.

Do you have any traces of similar corrosion on ladder sockets?

I don’t have a ladder. But no other similar corrosion.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably a seal leak. I think that the metal is aluminum or magnesium, which can corrode pretty quickly under the right conditions.

The motors are made as cheaply as possible using the lowest cost materials and parts.

The bearings are especially susceptible to corrosion if they get wet. Once the bearings begin to corrode, they disintegrate quickly.

That makes sense. The rest of the motor is fine. If this part is a cheaper metal and there’s a minor leak I can see how that would make it corrode over time. But, isn’t aluminum pretty good in terms of corrosion resistance? Isn’t it used in marine environments. I have a swcg so salt is present.

Just replaced my Hayward Super Pump because of a similar issue. Also SWG - salt & bearings don't play well. In my case, the pump seal was probably weeping for a while but just enough to kill the bearings without any visible signs. I noticed the pump getting louder before I finally saw any leaking late in the summer. I intended to install new seals & bearings however two of the four pump through-bolts snapped off during disassembly - they were obviously seized due to the corrosion. I decided that was enough effort on a nearly 10-year-old pump...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.