Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Is there any harm to backwashing a DE filter before the pressure hits the red line? Right now my pressure is about 17 and the red line is 20. At the pace the pressure is rising I will hit the red line in like 2 weeks when i'm on vacation. So is there any harm in backwashing it early? I doubt it but I wanted to check with the experts :).

No harm. Clean at your earliest convienence when you know it's about time. Or clean early to buy more time.

Also, we recommend 25% psi rise cleanings. It's specific for your situation unlinke the +10 psi factory dials. +10 may be a 300% increase for those with VS pumps. (Unless you dialed it in appropriately at the last cleaning for 25%)

Can you expand on that more? I can't adjust the clean pressure and 'red pressure' (for lack of a better term) differential. It's just a dial on the pressure gauge. My pool guy set it when he opened the pool. The green is at about 10-11 so the red is at 20-21. Are you saying I should backwash and recharge at 25% over 10 PSI which would be about 12-13 PSI?

Resoundingly yes. 10-11 to 20 to 21 is a +10 psi rise and 100% window to the 25% window we recommend.

One size fits all rarely does. (Though theoretically possible your system is ok as such).

Going with a % increase factors your baseline, which is why we do so.

I feel though that I would be backwashing like every two weeks then.
It changes based upon the point in the season.

In the spring and fall, way more crud dumps in the pool needing filtering. Very little filtering is needed mid season. Again, specific to your filter size and your yard. A bigger filter can hold more crud before it needs to be cleaned. . No more, no less. :)

So I did the backwash an my pressure remains at like 16-17 PSI. I backwashed until the water turned clear, then put it back into filter mode and added 3 lbs of DE (this is what my pool guy said to do and matches the TFP recommendation of ~75% of the startup amount). Is this just my normal operating pressure now? Note that everything seems to be working fine. Nice strong flow from the returns, etc.

Edit - I just did the whole process again just to be thorough, but this time flipped back and forth between backwash and rinse a few times. Same result. So I guess this is my new starting pressure.

Last edited: