Are the SWCG even worth the cost anymore?

My pool is always crystal clear, no algae issues. Relatively low CYA levels for most all of the 9 years this SWCG has been in operation. The only thing I don't do is add hardener, which the pool store always suggests. No issues ever with corrosion.

I am on just my second year. 1000% totally worth it without a doubt. I literally don't need to to anything to maintain my pool anymore, in fact, it's kind of boring now. Of course I keep my other levels in check, but once stable, I rarely ever have to make any adjustments. Best thing I ever did to my pool.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. The SWCG has allowed me to have a relatively "troublefree pool" for most of the 9 years it was in operation.

Reactions: jgofnj
Ok, you're suggesting that pool owners should maintain >3ppm free chlorine? It seems your science goes against the CDC's science.

If you have lower CYA and keep your FC at 2 to 3, you are fine. Free chlorine should be maintained according to your CYA. Link-->FC/CYA Levels

1687274499518.png

If you have lower CYA and keep your FC at 2 to 3, you are fine. Free chlorine should be maintained according to your CYA. Link-->FC/CYA Levels

View attachment 505698
Yes, I always have low CYA because I have a SWCG. There's no reason to have >3ppm unless you have high CYA and an unusually high amount of contamination. Apparently, my pool is magic, LOL, because I can typically read the date on a penny in the bottom of the 8' deep end. <3ppm, no algae, no skin or eye irritation, no corrosion, my SWCG never has scale and lasted 9 years. From my experience I must be doing something right.

Last edited:
Yes, I always have low CYA because I have a SWCG.
You certainly can do that. Having a SWCG doesn't mean you should have a low CYA. They are two different things. The TFP recommendation is to maintain CYA 70-90 with SWCG, because you are adding a little chlorine over a longer period of time, it is easier for the FC to stay in the right range.. And... it helps to keep the sun from burning off the FC too quickly, which allows you to run the cell at a lower output...extending the life of the cell. Higher CYA is not required.

You certainly can do that. Having a SWCG doesn't mean you should have a low CYA. They are two different things. The TFP recommendation is to maintain CYA 70-90 with SWCG, because you are adding a little chlorine over a longer period of time, it is easier for the FC to stay in the right range.. And... it helps to keep the sun from burning off the FC too quickly, which allows you to run the cell at a lower output...extending the life of the cell. Higher CYA is not required.
Yes, I understand what CYA is, I've gone through the pool school here since 2013 as you can see in my profile. I've been using the TFT kit for many years. As the other member posted, his SW pool has been simple to maintain. This is my only fear about going to tablets. My pool has been essentially trouble free for many years. I'm afraid this is going to be the deciding factor to bite the proverbial bullet. I do appreciate the numbers you've provided. It did help make the decision.

Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, you're suggesting that pool owners should maintain >3ppm free chlorine? It seems your science goes against the CDC's science.
The CDC guidelines have not been updated in over 30 years and do NOT follow the current science.

It is recommended to have a higher CYA with a SWG. This is mainly because a higher CYA will better protect the FC from the sun's UV rays. And the SWG will last longer as it doesn't need to work as hard as the FC isn't burning off as fast.

Your pool and your right to maintain it however you wish. TFP does not condone FC levels not in line with the FC/CYA Levels.

Reactions: Newdude
The CDC guidelines have not been updated in over 30 years and do NOT follow the current science.

It is recommended to have a higher CYA with a SWG. This is mainly because a higher CYA will better protect the FC from the sun's UV rays. And the SWG will last longer as it doesn't need to work as hard as the FC isn't burning off as fast.

Your pool and your right to maintain it however you wish. TFP does not condone FC levels not in line with the FC/CYA Levels.
9 years is probably pretty good for a salt cell.

If your math doesn't heavily favor the SWG, you're not comparing apples to apples. Take the FC that the tabs will produce for a set cost, and the FC a SWG will produce for a set cost. Then compare those #s. I don't have tab math because the price is too volatile and you have months to find a clearance sale. But the SWG and LC is a known.

A T15 cell will produce 2833 FC in 26k galloms in its expected lifespan. At today's price of $900, that's $0.32 per FC.

By comparison 1 gallon of 10% gets you 3.8FC.

$5 jug = $1.31 per FC. (Rare find)
$6 jug = $1.57 per FC. (Walmart)
$7 jug = $1.84 per FC
$8 jug = $2.10 per FC. (Lowes)
$10 jug = $2.63 per FC. (Home Depot)

^^^^ tabs will fall somewhere in the LC range and be 5x to 8x what the T15 cost.

*whether you underchlorinate with tabs, or a SWG, you use the same FC and the source doesn't matter.

^^^^^^ equivalent tabs at that price to 2833 FC is $3571.07, plus $314.25 in sales tax.

Or $979.20 out the door for the T15.

Reactions: PoolStored
If your math doesn't heavily favor the SWG, you're not comparing apples to apples. Take the FC that the tabs will produce for a set cost, and the FC a SWG will produce for a set cost. Then compare those #s. I don't have tab math because the price is too volatile and you have months to find a clearance sale. But the SWG and LC is a known.

A T15 cell will produce 2833 FC in 26k galloms in its expected lifespan. At today's price of $900, that's $0.32 per FC.

$7 jug = $1.84 per FC

^^^^ tabs will fall somewhere in the LC range and be 5x to 8x what the T15 cost.

*whether you underchlorinate with tabs, or a SWG, you use the same FC and the source doesn't matter.
Thank you. Your apples to apples comparison makes sense to me. In any case I already ordered the OEM replacement. I hemmed and hawed about the OEM price, but I know you get what you pay for in most cases, so I decided against the generic aftermarket replacement.

Holy Crud, I never knew this was going to be such a hassle. I just want to buy the friggin T-15 OEM cell for $900, but it seems if I buy it locally it's going to take 10 days through Leslie pools, and if I buy it on Amazon, they don't show a warranty period, so that's a bit concerning. All of the other local stores either carry aftermarket junk or the $1150 cell. So, if I buy online and the Dang thing fails, I'm stuck with having to deal with an online warranty, what a friggin hassle.

$7 jug = $1.84 per FC

So, when you’re listing this data, in terms of FC what scale measure are we comparing lbs?
According to the label on the box, it would be comparable to 580lbs of Trichlor of the life of the cell. That equates to about $2600. So, just under 3x the savings. So, still a good deal, but a bit shy of 5-8x the savings. Maybe the replacement cells don’t do as much?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.