Aqua Logic PS_4Control Board Repair Undertaking

If you call Hayward, they will confirm that the AquaLogic v 2.86 has a 180 min. At least the tech I queried said that and testing of my unit confirms it.

If I set the output to 100% and the temp is above 60F it runs for 180 min. If it is below 60F, it runs for 144 min.

But I am going to do my test at 5% so it runs faster. 80% of 5% should be the equivalent of 4% or 7.2 min.

Note: Not everything you read on the internet is true. ;)

If it is below 60F, it runs for 144 min.
Can you try this to be sure?

What is the current temperature?

If the setting is below 20%, it might be the actual percent or 20% of the setting.

For example, 10% might be 10% or 2%.

In any case, @Jaimslaw seems to be reporting that their unit is following the 20% of 120 minutes at 100% =24 minutes.

They can also try 50% and it should shut off at 12 minutes.

It had been timing out (ie all zeros) at the 20 min mark, but now its doing it after 10 minutes (all at 100%). 17 years of monitoring my winter cell/ppm levels in 56 degree water with this board and never experienced this issue. Discovered it when chlorine levels went to zero. Water chem was tested and is optimal.

Others have had this problem, as I found in the comment section of youtube videos on how to repair these boards (when the issue being addressed is a “no salt” error readout). Those comments were ppl wondering if the repair will fix their all zeros readout. Sadly, no replies. And to date, no video or article from web and forums search has delved into this problem or a remedy for it.

It had been timing out (ie all zeros) at the 20 min mark, but now its doing it after 10 minutes (all at 100%). 17 years of monitoring my winter cell/ppm levels in 56 degree water with this board and never experienced this issue.
Maybe a clock issue?

Is the clock working correctly?

Is the board original?

What is the software revision?

Can you show pictures of both sides of the board?

Maybe wait until the water gets above 60 degrees to see if the timing goes back to normal?

You could bypass the temperature sensor with a 14.5K ohm resister to make it read 62 degrees.

10K_thermistor_chart.png

Last edited:
If it was made after 5/8/2009, then it should be 180 minutes.
I bought it a couple years after that date. But from what I understand, the time period change occured at the same time VS pumps were introduced in the AquaLogic which was version 2.65.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other falicy that I often see is that the AquaLogic units shut off at 55F which is also not true. They shut off below 50F.

But here is a video of the first test at 5% setting:

It ran for 9 min which does indicate that the 20% reduction is ignored at low settings. but it does confirm a 180 min cycle.

I may run a 25% because I can't run a 100% right now due to upcoming timer schedules that I really don't want to reprogram.

So at 25%, the SWG ran about 36 min which is 80% of 25% of 180 min. So that means it reduces the run time by 20%, not "to" 20%. I think there is a typo in the manual which is not uncommon. Video is posted in above link.

I ran two more tests, one at 35% and one a 100% and both stopped at 36 min. So it appears as though any setting from 20% to 100% is capped at 20% for temps < 60F and not a constant reduction from the original setting.

Thinking back to my previous testing, I may have tested only at a setting of 25% since is my normal spa setting. While I saw a 20% reduction in output, it did not rule out that a cap was being used rather than a constant reduction. I know had repeated this test several times to confirm but I must have used the same 25% setting each time which was clearly a mistake.

Once the pool temperature gets above 50F, I may repeat some of these tests just to make sure there is not a difference between pool mode and spa mode but I doubt there is.

17 years of monitoring my winter cell/ppm levels in 56 degree water with this board and never experienced this issue.
If the unit is from 2006, then the time should be capped to 24 minutes.

Maybe the clock is going bad?

Is the time accurate?

Maybe the cell has a separate timer?

Maybe the unit is faulting out for a different reason?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.