Anything wrong with my filter, or this is normal?

I opened the pool for 1 1/2 days, and have been SLAMing it. The water turns from dark green to light green now, with some foam on the surface. Now my question is that I do have to do backwash almost every 3 hours (keeping the pump run at highest RPM.) In other words, every 3 hours, the PSI increases from 20 to 30, and if I leave the way it is, there would be no flow at all, (e.g. early in the morning, the PSI became 30 and there was no flow at all until I backwashed it.)

Another strange thing is that, when I backwash it, the color of the water in the spider multiport eye is milk white. (I remember it used to be green when I backwashed it last year.) Does it mean something not right with my filter and it needs to be opened and cleaned thoroughly?

thank you.

Yes, the algae will fill up a filter very quickly. Continue what you are doing with the backwashing. You could even take it apart completely and hose off the grids and recharge it with DE. That will clean it up even more. You need to keep that water flowing so your filter can do it's job and clear your pool.

I believe that when you backwash, once the water is clear you are done and can add some DE back. Did you remember to add some DE back after backwashing? That's very important because you will lose some during the backwash.

Doing a SLAM of a swamp with a DE filter is challenging. You really should be backwashing when you see a 25% rise in filter pressure over clean. You should leave the filter on recirculate overnight with the pump running at a low speed. No real reason to pump at high rates.

No idea on the color of the backwash. Hopefully another member can help you there.

You are VERY early in the SLAM process.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.