Anyone add Abalone shells to PT ONLY on Tanning Ledge and Spa?

My pool was just plastered this week and we added a lot of abalone shells to the entire pool for only $100. It looks great and my wife loves it. I would still do the entire pool even if it cost me $600. You can't go back and add them once the plaster is in so might as well just do it.

Now I have only had mine for a week - BUT - in my opinion - I LOVE them - the deeper parts they put them on - don't show up as well - so I wouldn't allocate money to the entire pool unless you just have the money to spend. BUT I am so glad I did it on the shallow spots! I wish I would have done it on the bench - I forgot to tell them to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good to know that you love them. Are they rougher than the pebbles at all?

PB is charging me for the bag so I don't have to budget different for the shallow vs deeper. My pool is only going to 5ft can you see yours at that depth or should I have them go heavy on the shallow and not worry about the deeper?

You can't really tell any difference in the way they feel. My pool is only 5' also. Even the ones that are on the stairs - the lowest part I think would be around 3' - they loose a little of the sparkle. If it were me - I would do the majority on all the shallow and then do it lightly everywhere else (if you have enough). The ones on my tanning ledge - everyone just ooos and ahhhs over - but in the spa - you really only notice them on the steps going in - unless you really look.

Hi!
I am looking at Primera Stone with the shells, any concern it would be a waste of money? Will they get buffed off?

I'll give you my personal viewpoint. I added the shells to my plaster last July. I love them - absolutely love them, and I'm cheap, cheap, cheap! If I were to do it over, I would have added a second bag. And I've read from some that it's better to use them primarily on the shallow areas. I had planned to do that but was so excited the day they plastered I forgot to ask. So I have them all over and am very glad it worked out that way. We have Blue Granite Sheen, and I can see the shells in the deep end from my living room (on a sunny day). My sunshelf and upper steps look very gray - the shells there don't show up as well as in the deeper areas. Maybe it's the darker look of the plaster in those places giving more contrast.

The plaster guys did come back the next day to buff and do the acid wash. I have no idea if some of the shells were buffed off - seems like they could be. If so, it wasn't enough for me to realize.

Yes, I've read that over time the shells wear down or degrade. Still, I enjoy them so very much now it doesn't matter to me. Maybe by then (if I'm still kickin') they will have found a way to add shells or sparkle on existing plaster! You never know. Keep in mind - I love anything sparkly! If that doesn't float your boat, then the shells may not be worth it.

When spending money on the pool, since it's my one and only pool, I decided to have fun. That was the whole point for me getting a pool. It wasn't about some boring appliance where I had to be practical. As best as I could afford, I put my cheap side in the vault and locked it away. No regrets!

Suz :)

[Kim! We need some sort of sparkly emoji, right?!]

Thanks Kim! I must have skipped over that one!

Sheree, that's a great option using them on one focal point! That could really draw your attention to a special place in the pool. And save money, too - always good, right?!
Suz

Suz,
Thank you for the feedback on the shells. I love sparkle too. Just redid my kitchen last year and there is some serious sparkle! Would love to see the final pictures of your pool. I looked through the ones in your signature but it ended with gunite.

Sounds like you got the pebbles and had them sanded, is that right? I am planning to do that as well but so worried the price is going to be $5k more than the bid shows now.

Kate

Kate, try my pool build link again. I just checked it. It looks like it stops at p. 51, but hit 'Last' after the page numbers. That will skip ahead to the end of the thread. Let me know if that doesn't work.
Suz :sunny:

Suz,
Thank you for the feedback on the shells. I love sparkle too. Just redid my kitchen last year and there is some serious sparkle! Would love to see the final pictures of your pool. I looked through the ones in your signature but it ended with gunite.

Sounds like you got the pebbles and had them sanded, is that right? I am planning to do that as well but so worried the price is going to be $5k more than the bid shows now.

Kate

The money shots are on this page...
Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX - Page 63

There are also some good ones on page 76 and 79

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.