Any advice on handrails for inground pool?

Core drill a hole into the deck and put the cup anchors into the hole and secure with anchoring cement.

The top of the anchor is flush with the deck and you put escutcheons on to cover the hardware.

Anch-1.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
James....thanks. I really appreciate it and will take a look at the videos; however, I'm just very hesitant to do much of anything myself with this deck, short of maybe the smaller holes for anchors such as would be the case with the first (metal) railing I initially posted. That looked interesting, and easy enough, but then I was told about the bonding issue. The info on that railing didn't mention a thing about it. I've contacted a local guy that's really good with all sorts of pool repairs just to get his thoughts on it. Not sure if he gets involved in railing work though.

If you follow Jim's Amazon link in post 11 and then read the first review by "CJS", they used the Saftron ladder with the mounting bases but a stronger anchor solution so they can (as it reads to me) be repeatedly removed for the winter cover. A copy/paste of the relevant part, but I've no idea if this is a good or workable solution! Jim or someone else knowledgeable about this sort of stuff probably knows!

A quote from the Amazon CJS review:
One has two choices for mounting. The first is to drill the concrete deck to the diameter of the rail and then install clamping fixtures to make a socket mount. The other choice is to surface mount using Saftron's mounting bases. The former method requires special core drilling equipment. The advantage, though, is that there would now be a mounting surface that is flush with the deck to facilitate winter cover use. Conversely, the mounting bases are a do-it-yourself install. However the bases would need to be removed every Fall and then reinstalled in the Spring for winter cover use.

We decided to use mounting bases. The Saftron website provides detailed dimensional information on the various pool handrails, but hadn't provided specific hardware information relative to the mounting bases.

Installation Hardware:
Saftron's mounting bases are supplied with 5/16 stainless steel lag bolts (2 5/8 inches long), washers, and plastic anchors that can be used in concrete. This might be fine for a one-time permanent install. The hardware is not an adequate solution when removing and reinstalling the base mounts multiple times. There are several types of anchors available for concrete that permanently install a stud with a nut attachment. These also would be unsatisfactory since the stud is not removable and therefore does not make for a flush surface. The viable solution is to use bolts and drop-in anchors. Be aware that such anchors do require an inexpensive setting tool for installation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love this reply of a few years ago from a similar thread ...someone posted looking for a "non-permanent" sort of handrail system...

......."Or maybe just something sturdy on the edge of the pool to lean on. Not sure what, chaise lounge, tractor, bench, kid ..."

lol......I like the tractor idea. My old 70s Cub Cadet would do the job 😆

OR...an easy summer job for a local kid. "Now, you just kneel down here...no..not there...HERE...now, stick your arm out like so...stay that way for 4 hours every afternoon from now till school starts"

• Haha
You can get a lift if you need this.

F-SCTXL-SCOUT-EXCEL-DIETTA2-6048x4024-300DPI-scaled_700x700.jpg

Reactions: anthonypool89
lol...yep...that'd work!! Fun trying to get the cover over that..especially with someone in the chair. "Where the heck is she anyway? Haven't seen her since...wait...I have an idea....check under that cover..."
A handrail should extend out to the second step of a pool. Usually that requires one that is 40" long. For Sartron that is a RTD-340.

A 4" bit and large roto-hammer can be rented for about $100. Before I bought one, I used a 1/4" masonry bit, drilled a series of holes in a 4" circle, drilled more through the area in the center and just broke out the concrete. Its actually fairly easy to drill with a bit that small, just tedious. As they are inexpensive, get 2 or 3 at least 6" or longer. The 4" circle will be covered by the escutcheon.

After the hole is prepared, use a short piece of 1.5" pipe in the outer anchor to set it plumb with a level. Takes about 20 minutes to set so it can be worked with. While it is setting drill the inner hole. The bronze anchors hold Saftron rails more securely than the vinyl ones that Saftron makes. Anchor fits flush with the surface of the deck and rails can be removed by loosening the bolt. The rail will still move (wiggle) a bit unless you get commercial rails that are a different configuration and more expensive.

After the setting compound has cured , attach the loose anchor to the inner leg, set the outer leg in the anchor in the deck with the inner going into the hole and pour the setting compound around it while it is attached to the rail. Way easier than trying to accurately set both anchors and hope the rail fits both.

The Saftron rails come with color-coordinated escutcheons. You can put them on the rail and tape them out of the way while pouring the compound or remove the rail and install them after the compound has fully cured. I always give it 24 hours. While Saftron makes many colors, taupe (RTD-340T) seems to blend with the vast majority of pool areas (picture). Black gets very hot in the sun and White gets dirty quickly.

shopping
1690065929316.jpeg1690065987780.jpeg

I used EZ Anchors a few years ago to avoid the bonding issue. Works great with my cover. Drop in and screw tight but usually don't. I did rent a core drill to drill two 3" holes. Easier than expected.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.