Any advice on handrails for inground pool?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Hi, I need to install a rail for additional support for older family members getting in and out (especially in). Did some research and thought this one looks pretty good: Amazon.com I don't have a hammer drill however so would have to get one. I've never used one. Any thoughts or advice appreciated. No matter what I do, it'll have to be removed when it's time to put the mesh cover over the pool for winter.

Saftron has a line designed for in ground pools that don't need to be bonded. Any metal railing requires being attached to your bonding grid. Usually railings like this are core drilled into your deck.

Saftron has a line designed for in ground pools that don't need to be bonded. Any metal railing requires being attached to your bonding grid. Usually railings like this are core drilled into your deck.
You lost me on this. So there's an electrical issue of some sort that needs to be accounted for? Instructions on the site don't mention anything about this. I'm looking for something good but hopefully uncomplicated. So what is the "bonding grid" anyway?

OK...equipotential bonding grid. Never heard of it. Maybe did when the pool was installed back in '89 but my memory doesn't always go back that far in much detail 😁 Well, sounds like it's a job for the local pool guy to tackle. I'd probably do that anyway. Thanks. That line of railings looks nice - like the color choices much better than the stainless steel look. Doesn't mention what sort of hardware comes with however or exactly how the thing attaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
My wife and I installed 2 of the Saftron rails pretty easily ourselves.
There's no picture of whatever the base / attachment / anchors would be. Do they include all that stuff? That site has many different choices! Any specific one that you'd suggest for adding stability for getting into and out of the pool? I have three (sort of) half-round-shaped steps before feet contact the bottom of the pool. How easily is one of their railings removed so as to get the cover on the pool?

There's no picture of whatever the base / attachment / anchors would be. Do they include all that stuff?
No, it's not included because you could core drill if you wanted to. Core drilling means a really wide hole that the rail fits into.

We bought 4 surface mount bases for our 2 rails. The bases come with screws and plastic anchors. Ours have held up for 9 years. The only thing that's worn out is the powder coat finish of the rails, which has lost its luster over the years. If you bring your rails indoors for the winter as you propose, you may not encounter that problem.

The rotary hammer is basically a super-powered hand drill made to drill into concrete. It was not difficult at all, just required me to be careful. My wife was in the pool holding the "nose" of each rail as I determined where to drill. I practiced on some scrap concrete first.

Oh by the way, Saftron does not sell direct to consumers. We had to order ours via Leslie's, who's a retailer for them. I went into the store and had the manager look up the rails & mounts in their big catalog.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't expect plastic either, but it works fine and turns out to be more secure than trying to screw directly into concrete.

But if you need to remove the surface mount bases every year because of the pool cover, this may not be the best solution for you. We screwed into our plastic anchors exactly once. You would probably need to replace the anchors on a regular basis if you're removing and replacing the screws every year.

But if you need to remove the surface mount bases every year because of the pool cover,
Well...the cover stretches across the pool coping, so as long as the anchors are essentially flush with the deck/coping, no need to remove them. All that'd need to be removed is the railing. Hoping to keep this as simple and uncomplicated as possible. Instead I'm told I could be electrocuted by grabbing my non-bonded metal railing 😳

Well...the cover stretches across the pool coping, so as long as the anchors are essentially flush with the deck/coping, no need to remove them. All that'd need to be removed is the railing. Hoping to keep this as simple and uncomplicated as possible. Instead I'm told I could be electrocuted by grabbing my non-bonded metal railing 😳
The rail itself can be removed from the surface mount bases, which stick up 6" from the deck as you can see in Jim's photo above. To put on the cover, you'd have to remove the bases (leaving only the anchors) or cut holes in the cover for the bases.

My anchors are metal not plastic, but I think unscrewing them each year would not work well over time... (By anchors, I'm taking about what the bolts that hold the above ground mounts, screw into in the ground..

The time to put in a rail is when the pool is being built. Then instead of an above deck mounting, you'd have an in deck mounting and the rail could be taken out and you'd have a flush surface.

I was not smart enough to do that, and I ended with what I call the "ugly rail" install.

The only good thing about my install, is the the end of the rail is not in the water. Done by accident of course, but I like it better that way.

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Haha
but I think unscrewing them each year would not work well over time..
Jim, my thoughts exactly. One thing to turn all the deck's inside anchor screws up and down each year that are used for the cover straps, but would hate to compromise the structural integrity of a railing support base by always removing it. The cover goes pretty flat across the coping and deck - maybe an inch or more to give but that's about it as to what could stay in the deck and what would have to be removed. Have to think on this one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.