Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Thanks Kim! Without TFP, I would probably have had a green pool by now since my pool guy had his son in the hospital for two weeks. I wouldn't have known what to do at all. Because of TFP, I started testing on the first day it was filled. As I grew in confidence, my pool guy did, too. He let me do more and more on my own. Also, without TFP, right now I'd be having a pool maintenance company handle everything - thinking they knew what they're doing!!! Ha ha.

But make no mistake. I'm still quite the newbie - taking baby steps. So don't let go of my fingers yet! I'm not quite steady on my feet. I haven't had to ask too, too many questions, because most of them I've been able to get answered through the search at the top of the page. I only get in trouble when I read a lot of conflicting things. But I'm getting more confidence about that too - getting a better sense of when to take it with a grain of salt, when it's a subjective area with room for different opinions, and when it's straight science. The questions come when I can't tell the difference for myself yet.

So thanks everyone for being here for those of us counting on you!!!!
Suz!

I tested everything I could today. I'm still a little confused as to what my volume is. As long as I don't overshoot on the chemicals, I'm more curious about the gallons.

But here are my numbers in the photo - decided that was easier than typing it all out, and anyone who's interested can see my previous numbers, targets, and amounts added.

So, I tried using the bottom of Pool Math for the effects of adding such and such to figure the gallons. Using the CH, I started with 200 because that was the level I got the week before this sheet. Up until now, it has seemed like 24K worked with my numbers of added chemicals. Since about a week, the CH went up to 275. So I changed the gallons until the increase was 75 (I got 74, but decided that was close enough). If I used Monday's level of 175, that would mean my gallons are about 13K. That really surprises me with the last 4 weeks of adding bleach and correcting pH. But it could be tester error!

So now I will do the longer test to calculate gallons using pH.

It's not urgent, but if anyone sees anything wrong with my numbers, let me know. I still want to raise the CYA and the CH, so for today, I used 17,500 gallons to calculate amounts to add. Even if this gallon amount is low, I'd rather be conservative since it's CYA and CH. Maybe I should use 13K, but I really don't think that's the case. I hope! Or I'm going to be praying for a Tropical storm!!!

Thanks,
Suz (if this doesn't make sense, it's because I'm still too new at this business....)

You're doing good Suz.
Easing up on CYA & CH is a very good idea.
Easy to add a little more later that the alternative.

BTW, do you have a smart phone?
I use Pool Pal on my Android to record measurements and suggest adjustments. It has a TFP setting for this.
I use this when I go out on the deck to do my testing.
Occasionally I will copy this data into Jesse's Graphic Pool Testing Log on the computer.

I did not use CH as the measure to get to my pool volume so I'm not sure how sensitive it is per volume.
TA was the one I used as it is a 25ml sample size test.
The other relatively sensitive test is a 20ml FC test but this is still not as accurate as the TA way.
Reason being is that FC can be consumed or burned off very quickly after addition, while TA is more stable over time.

I just went outside and took more detailed measurements of my pool. I'm going to do the part + part + part test. This is just one of those things I'm curious about. Now I wish we had read the meter before and after filling the pool, but our meter was under 2 feet of mud. Neither my son nor I were eager to scoop out the mud, so I let it go.

Suz.

Ok, I still get 23,800 on pool math. Curiosity sort of solved...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Each riser is between 5.5" and 6" high. The width of the steps/treads start at a little less than 3' at the top step gradually getting wider to a little over 3' at the bottom step. I don't know the depth of the treads - not sure what you call that dimension - they are all easily one and a half the length of my foot. Plenty of room to sit on.

Funny, but all ages love the steps. I thought they would appeal to just the geriatric set.

Take care,
Suz.

We had a wonderful Labor Day, and we're still celebrating! My older son from Oregon came home Sunday evening for a 10 day visit! He's sentimental about home stuff and wasn't too sure about me destroying our yard he grew up with for a pool. But.... he absolutely loves it! He must have talked about it for 2-3 days straight! He's commented and raved about every part of it and was happy I kept some perimeter landscaping!

And he brought his dog, my granddog, Willie!!!! I am crazy about Willie. He's one of the most awesome dogs I've ever known! He's almost 2 now, so he's calmed down somewhat from last September's 5 week visit. But Willie still has a lot of puppy in him! And he LOVES his Grandma!!!

Here's some shots of them in the pool.... Willie has never been in a swimming pool, so he wasn't too sure about it. But my son has done a great job of easing Willie into it and teaching him where the steps are, etc. He also bought Willie a life vest which seemed to help make him feel more comfortable in the water. Willie likes the vest since he had begun training to be a service dog. We wouldn't let Willie out on his own yet, but he's learning. Willie loves the sun shelf now and will jump on and off of it on his own.

At times, I'm not sure who's the puppy!

This duckie no longer has a bill. You know grandmas..... They'll let their granddog get away with anything!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I just had to share!!! There's nothing like a pool, is there?!!! I ran outside real quick to ask the guys something. They were talking about going to Mountasia to play the arcade games, go carts, and putt-putt. At the same time, they both said, "Naw, let's stay here and hang out at the pool!!!" I'm beyond thrilled that they enjoy it so much!!!
Suz.

Oh SUZ! I can hear you smile from here! That is AWESOME!

Willie the water dog! LOVE IT! Look at those smiles on both of them! LOL

What kind of service will Willie provide? I met a "blood sugar" dog the other day for a child. SO neat to see them together. The dog was all about the kid.

Kim

Kim, I'll be smiling for weeks!! It's so fabulous having the 3 of us together. The guys are 13 months apart which made for a close relationship. Sometimes love/hate, but mostly love. They did many things together, they always fall back in sync no matter the time apart.

MATT retired (medical retirement) in 2013 after nine years and five deployments with the Marine infantry. The plan was for Willie to be his service dog - it is amazing what these military service dogs can do. But Matt is to the point where he feels all he needs is for Willie to be his therapy dog.

Take care,
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.