Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

We still have another 10 days of summer! Which reminds me, I need to figure out what to do and where to go for about 7 of those 10 days! Does every parent fear what that first paper that comes home every year will say?
"What I did this summer . . . It was boring. I did not do anything. The end."

We still have another 10 days of summer! Which reminds me, I need to figure out what to do and where to go for about 7 of those 10 days! Does every parent fear what that first paper that comes home every year will say?
"What I did this summer . . . It was boring. I did not do anything. The end."

I'm moving to NC! I want 10 more days of summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC is just the location of the pool. Live in Northern VA. Fairfax Co. There's a thing called "King's Dominion (amusement park) Law" which prevents the kids from going back prior to the day after Labor Day. Something about how it affects the park. Folks around here often complain about it at the end of the year when we are still in school June 20'ish. But very few complaints this time of year.

MD Comptroller wants to say first day is after Labor Day to help beach resorts. Hasn't worked yet.

Waaaay back in my childhood days in Texas, school began after Labor Day and ended by Memorial Day. Of course that was before holidays were moved to Mondays.

As I remember, we had close to 2 weeks off for Christmas, but I don't remember what we had for other holidays. I think we went fewer days plus we had art, music, PE, and handwriting in addition to good sound basics. We must have been smarter back then in the covered wagon days!!!

Suz.

Hey, we still have
art (45 min 1/week)
recess (15 min every day)
PE (45 m 2 x per week)
Music (45 m 2x per week) and
handwriting (cursive at the end of 3rd grade for 5 days because grades have to be turned in like 2 weeks ahead of end of school.) [emoji16]

Allll that for the 10th largest public school district and 3rd wealthiest county in America.

But sports are being threatened to be taken away, because the board is short $75m for the $2.6B budget. (Yes, that's BILLION, with a B.)
[sigh.] but, we are blessed! Can't complain too much.

OUr local schools start the Tuesday before Labor Day. I am thinking that is so there are two four day weeks to get everyone into the swing of things. It seems like a late start this year. Last day is scheduled to be June 2nd, but if there are any snow days, it will be later.

They now charge any student participating in a sport, band or curricular activity a $50. fee. Assuming it is helping to pay for the turf on the football and baseball fields. eyeroll.
We do have a swim team!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suz- you'll be happy to know our school still has art, music, PE, and handwriting. We even have dance. So all is not lost!!

I AM glad to know ya'll still have the 'extras'! Are you in HISD or a private school? And dance? That's wonderful. Is it an elective or do all the kids take dance? That's such a lost art.

Hey, we still have
art (45 min 1/week)
recess (15 min every day)
PE (45 m 2 x per week)
Music (45 m 2x per week) and
handwriting (cursive at the end of 3rd grade for 5 days because grades have to be turned in like 2 weeks ahead of end of school.) [emoji16]

Allll that for the 10th largest public school district and 3rd wealthiest county in America.

But sports are being threatened to be taken away, because the board is short $75m for the $2.6B budget. (Yes, that's BILLION, with a B.)
[sigh.] but, we are blessed! Can't complain too much.

Your schedule for the 'extras' sounds like the one in our area. Well, I haven't checked lately. That was when I was still teaching. I thought it was too skimpy, but now it seems to be a luxury. Gotta love it - handwriting because grades have to be turned in early. That's a good use of time, at least. Our fifth graders graduate into junior high or middle school. So the last week or two in math we always taught them things they would need to know for the next year. For example, how to open combination locks and to avoid swirlies (just kidding on the swirlies, but we teachers always joked about how it would be good to know - but it would give nightmares to the poor kids all summer!)

OUr local schools start the Tuesday before Labor Day. I am thinking that is so there are two four day weeks to get everyone into the swing of things. It seems like a late start this year. Last day is scheduled to be June 2nd, but if there are any snow days, it will be later.

They now charge any student participating in a sport, band or curricular activity a $50. fee. Assuming it is helping to pay for the turf on the football and baseball fields. eyeroll.
We do have a swim team!

I really like the idea of two four-day weeks for the beginning of school. That's a great way to get back into the swing - for students and teachers!!!

Happy school days, everyone!
Suz.

WOW we have it good at my school district! We have 3 days a week of P.E., one day of music, one of Art, one of Library. Mandatory 30 mins a day of recess aka free play. There is to be NO "structure" during this time. Just let them be kids and play!

We teach handwriting and cursive, real life math, reading for meaning, spelling AND using the words in a sentence.

I am guessing it is due to us being a rural school. Very small county with more dirt roads than paved. They are working on paving the roads every year. One day they will all be paved LOL.

I live "in town". It is a 25 mile drive from my house to school. I do carpool so that helps with gas and wear and tear on the cars.

I LOVE where I teach. I have taught there for 30 years. I have 5 more to go. They should go fast.

Kim

We do have a swim team!

I really like the idea of the two 4-day weeks! Our elem schools had 1/2 days every single Monday until last year. IMO this was great as it allowed kids and teachers to plan any out of school things (dr appts, therapy, tutoring, extra curriculars, even hair appts, etc) for Monday afternoons and not have to miss any school. It had been that way since the early 70's. Plus, if I just wanted to take my kid out for ice cream or spend time with him, I could.

June 23 is our last day of school, and we have 15 snow days built into that.

I can't recall a time in school where my folks did NOT pay for extra ciriculars, and I'm positive it was FAR more than $50. I did band most of my years and in addition to the instrument rental, there were uniform fees, camp fees, competition fees . . . . That was 25+ years ago and my county had a whopping 5 high school, and my senior class was 250 kids. Talk about the country, we had folks that drove tractors to school. (Given, it was more just to be funny, but the point was that plenty of kids had access to such.) Our house was about 4 miles from my ES, and maybe 15 from HS.

Now, I'm spoiled. I can easily walk our son to school, but he prefers to ride the bus to socialize. Anyone who lives within 1 mile of the school does not have transportation provided to them. We are 1.2 miles via roads, and .75 miles if we take the woodlands path within our neighborhood. I'm pretty certain no student lives more than 2 miles from the school, and no more than 550 kids are enrolled. Every grade has had 3 teachers for many years, but this year they are having to add an additional 3rd grade class.

I do fear that this year they are going to have a remedial class in every grade. Since our son has an IEP, he's destined for it. But I keep telling myself it will only make life easier for him, and he'll likely have a great GPA from HS.

I'm sure that's more than any of you ever wanted to know about my kid's school. Lol!

WOW we have it good at my school district! We have 3 days a week of P.E., one day of music, one of Art, one of Library. Mandatory 30 mins a day of recess aka free play. There is to be NO "structure" during this time. Just let them be kids and play!

We teach handwriting and cursive, real life math, reading for meaning, spelling AND using the words in a sentence.

I am guessing it is due to us being a rural school. Very small county with more dirt roads than paved. They are working on paving the roads every year. One day they will all be paved LOL.

I live "in town". It is a 25 mile drive from my house to school. I do carpool so that helps with gas and wear and tear on the cars.

I LOVE where I teach. I have taught there for 30 years. I have 5 more to go. They should go fast.

Kim

I'm keeping this in mind. If we see that this year goes as last year did, I'm moving to your county!

You will have to PROVE you live in our County as we have LOTS of people trying to bring their kids here across county lines! LOL

We no longer accept notarized letters about where you live. All a notary does is say the signature is of the person signing not that the facts are correct in the letter so.......................we have restored to asking for an official bill like power or phone in the person's name. It has helped a LOT with the overcrowding!

Kim

We have had to start asking for lease or county appraisal statement showing homestead, plus at least 3 of these-electricity, water, gas, cellphone, bank statement, insurance statement, credit card- in order to prove residency in our school zone. And still there are people who we know are lying. We also do a mail out a couple of times a year with return service requested (no forwarding of mail). If we weren't overcrowded it wouldn't be so bad. Last year we had -Kim cover your eyes here!-25 kinders per class and we had 6 classes! This year isn't as bad, 20. I think it was an anomaly due to Hurricane Ike 6 years ago. Last year we had over 800 kids in our school. Hadn't had that many since Katrina. This year not as many as of yet but we do seem to get an influx in October when our international families come to work in the med center. But we do have 6 Kinders, 7 firsts, 7 seconds, 6 thirds, 6 fourths and 4 fifth grades. We also have 5 "temporary" buildings.

25 kindergartners in ONE class?? OUCH! I don't care how many adults were in there to help..........that is WAY too many littles in one room! No real teaching could go one. Only "babysitting" :( My biggest class was 23 and it was a nightmare! That was right before "class size reduction". Now my class cannot be more than 18. This year is awesome as I only have 15 at the moment! SWEET!

So far we do not have any "temporary" buildings thankfully!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.