Rmf1981

Jun 3, 2022
Pittsburgh
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi All -

New to the forum, but I'm already learning a lot.

Sorry to post yet another jandy i-aqualink question, but they make it so difficult!

We are first time pool owners. We purchased the house last November with a in-ground pool controlled by the jandy aqualink system with PDA.

I'm a bit of a home automation junkie, looking to upgrade to the i-aqualink.

Opened up my control box today to figure out what board I have. I'm attaching a picture, it looks to me like I have an R revision board, which, am I reading is correct, means I would just need to purchase the Wi-Fi j box and new PCB board. It seems like I would basically remove the PDA board and replace it, and it should essentially be plug and play.

If anyone wouldn't mind confirming that my version on the board is correct, and pointing me towards the product I need to upgrade, I would very much appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20220603_170506.jpg
    20220603_170506.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 22
The main board is what you want to look at not the PCB. How many red 4-wire connectors do you have on the upper left of the main board? 1 or 2?

If 2, then get the IQ30-RS upgrade matched to your existing PDA functionality. So pool only, pool and spa, etc. You'll be able to continue to use the PDA as well but it's functionality will change to on/off only.

Upgrade is simple.

The main board is what you want to look at not the PCB. How many red 4-wire connectors do you have on the upper left of the main board? 1 or 2?

If 2, then get the IQ30-RS upgrade matched to your existing PDA functionality. So pool only, pool and spa, etc. You'll be able to continue to use the PDA as well but it's functionality will change to on/off only.

Upgrade is simple.
Thanks to you both for the replies. Sorry Poolgate - part of my confusion is I'm not clear which is the main board and which is the PCB. That picture was the "largest" board I saw inside the box.

The IQ30-RS is what I was thinking.

Here's a picture of the panel. I see two red connections so I'm assuming that I'd be good to go with the IQ30-RS?

Attachments

• 20220603_211811.jpg
    20220603_211811.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 10
If you have an Aqualink RS with Rev R then all you need is IQ30-A.

Check the software Rev level you have using your existing control panel..

IQ30-A Includes:iAquaLink 3.0 Network Interface Antenna and cable.

IQ30-A WiFi bands:802.11 B,G, N at 2.4Ghz. It does not support 802.11 AC (Wi-Fi 5) or 802.11 AX (Wi-Fi 6).

Use iQ30-A to upgrade these systems:

AquaLink RS - requires revision R or newer
AquaLink PDA - requires revision 6.0 or newer (your PDA remote is still required for programming and scheduling)
AquaLink Z4 - all revisions will work

If you have an Aqualink RS with Rev R then all you need is IQ30-A.

Check the software Rev level you have using your existing control panel..

IQ30-A Includes:iAquaLink 3.0 Network Interface Antenna and cable.

IQ30-A WiFi bands:802.11 B,G, N at 2.4Ghz. It does not support 802.11 AC (Wi-Fi 5) or 802.11 AX (Wi-Fi 6).

Use iQ30-A to upgrade these systems:

AquaLink RS - requires revision R or newer
AquaLink PDA - requires revision 6.0 or newer (your PDA remote is still required for programming and scheduling)
AquaLink Z4 - all revisions will work
Thanks ajw. Where do I find the sw rev level on the control panel?

Sorry for what I'm sure is a stupid question but I'm brand new to this system specifically, and pool ownership in general.

If you have the Aqualink All-Button Panel then MENU -> SYSTEM SETUP(press ENTER) -> DIAGNOSTICS(press ENTER)

If you have the Aqualink OneTouch Panel then MENU/SELECT(press SELECT) -> SELECT (for HELP) -> DIAGNOSTICS (press SELECT).

See page 13 in the Jandy iAqualink Product Guide.

So looking at the panel there's none of those buttons.

I was able to pull this up on the PDA.

Model PDA-P4
Type Only
Firmware
PDA 7.1.0
JBox 4.0
Handheld 3.0

Attachments

• 20220603_223510.jpg
    20220603_223510.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220603_223100.jpg
    20220603_223100.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 3
You have the Aqualink PDA and not the Aqualink RS.

Then you need the full IQ30-RS which will convert your system to an RS system. You will no longer use your PDA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you very much ajw!

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that when I would install this upgrade kit, there would be a significant amount of "reprogramming" that I would need to do. Is there a resource for learning how to do that reprogramming? I'm comfortable with circuit boards and computers, etc. and I can follow instructions .... but don't want to end up disabling my pool system!

The Jandy Aqualink PDA Installation Manual can take you through the various menus and configuration of your current system for you to write down the settings.

Then after installing your new RS board and iAqualink you need to use a totally different UI to enter that setup into your new system.

It will be an education for you in the Jandy way of thinking and how your pool is setup.

It’s all in the Jandy manuals downloadable from their website.

Thank you very much ajw!

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that when I would install this upgrade kit, there would be a significant amount of "reprogramming" that I would need to do. Is there a resource for learning how to do that reprogramming? I'm comfortable with circuit boards and computers, etc. and I can follow instructions .... but don't want to end up disabling my pool system!

No programming per se, but assigning AUX ports. Since you only have 4 this should not be be any big deal. The instructions with the upgrade will tell you to record the existing settings. I did not do that step, and had to trial and error it, which took all of 10 minutes.

IQ30-RS also has an Alexa skill if you want that. Once totally installed it's easy to get that working.

You can keep your PDA connected and use it to turn things on and off but you could also sell it with the PDA antenna for close to $500 on eBay. I do use mine occasionally so I kept mine connected and still use it.

And setting schedules.

And setting desired heater temperatures.

And….

That isn't really "programming" so to speak I consider it just operations. I change my schedule once in awhile and heater settings just about every time I swim.

That isn't really "programming" so to speak I consider it just operations. I change my schedule once in awhile and heater settings just about every time I swim.
Semantics.

Call it setup.

It is what it takes to get the new system operational back like the old one was.

Reactions: PoolGate
Got it. Thank you both VERY much for the input.

We don't have any "schedules" per se as of yet - need to work on all of that. As I said we are brand new to this, pool open for less than a week and the first pool we own. Wife is very interested in the Alexa skills, doesn't like the PDA, wants to be able to use her phone. So I am figuring we'll sell the PDA and antenna to recoup some cost, and utilize phones/tablets etc. to manage the system. I'm in the process of setting up Homeseer in the new home (have previous experience with it) and am interested in the integrations that can work there as well.

Really appreciate both of your comments and help in pointing us the right direction. Looking forward to learning more particuarly from this board - seems like an amazing resource!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.