Another in Texas - Cypress

nice progress... yes have them re-do the inside... IMO those inside cuts do not look but that's just me, hope they change it up so you can be happy with it... I think I have a pic of mine on my build thread somewhere.
Yours is one of the pics I showed my PB initially and I have it saved on my phone. [emoji5]. Thank you for posting it here!
If it were me I think the center of the table would look good with a random rubble mosaic to contrast the geometric exterior pattern.
. I hadn't thought of doing something different like that. I'm having trouble visualizing it..
Love how they worked with you on the fire pit and made sure they understood what you wanted. You might be a trend sitter with that! That table top-nope. Print out and show them ap's! NICE! Kim:cat:
. We showed them ap's and also one we found online done by Backyard Amenities. I'll be printing them out this morning.
Doesn't ANYONE in the pool industry own a wet saw?? The reason none of these people can accomplish straight cuts and consistant joints is that they try to freehand everything with an angle grinder. It's like going into a butcher shop and all they have is hatchets. I realize that curves need to be freehanded, but you can tighten up those radius edges with the right wheel and a little patience. Grout, like caulk, makes every amatuer look like a professional, but you need joints to get grout into. On the table top in question, he just needs to trim a little here and there and smooth out some choppy radiuses and it'll all be golden.
I know what a difference the caulk can make now so I'm not going to make an issue out of the outer circle. I saw him cleaning up those quite a bit to even up the cuts so I'm going to leave it be. Those pieces on the inside need to be the same size and shape though. Pretty sure he's using an angle grinder and doesn't have much patience. This is the same crew that took 6 days to do our tile & coping a couple of weeks ago.
Builder told me I needed to lay out my toe tiles today because the tile guys are going to put them in. I'm worried for a few reasons. I have an exact number of tiles since I'm using my samples, they are Light Streams, the pool is still a really gross mess and no clean up has started on the shell yet. PB said it would be fine and they would clean just enough for the pieces to be installed. He said when we get plastered the tile guys may not be available if I was wanting to wait to have them put in. [emoji28]. Most builds I've read here had the plaster company actually install them just before plaster but apparently that's not how they do it. I really feel like putting them in today is a mistake and the tile guy visibly rolled his eyes at me in front of the PB when he heard there was a specific order and that I needed to be the one to lay them out (three different colors). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really feel like putting them in today is a mistake and the tile guy visibly rolled his eyes at me in front of the PB when he heard there was a specific order and that I needed to be the one to lay them out (three different colors). Thoughts?

Mister :rolleyes: needs to walk back to his truck! Nope not working on my stuff! YOUR pool, YOUR way!

Kim:cat:

Mister :rolleyes: needs to walk back to his truck! Nope not working on my stuff! YOUR pool, YOUR way!

But if the plaster guys won't install them, I may not have a choice. I'm going to ask Mrs. PB if she can check to see if they'll do it.
Update: She said plaster co can do it but charge a lot more (and don't like to do it) which is why they have their tile guys do it. Expressed my concern and that I really didn't want to do it this way. She said she'd talk to Mr. PB and that her son sometimes installs them so she'd see if there is another option. Sending up a prayer.

She also said she was submitting paperwork and we should get plastered around mid-week next week! Woo hoo!

When they got here this morning I went out and brought this print out as an example. Carlos didn't like working on my table [emoji23] so his brother had taken it over.
He asked me to let him try to fix the 3 pieces and if I didn't like it he would do 4. What do we think? Hubby is on a work conference and I can't ask him.

I see the side profile of a Flintstone's car tire that has cracked in three places. I prefer 4 but could go with 3.

That table is a lot of work - cutting up all the travertine. ( Using a grinder no less). One thing is certain, you will not notice this tile work at all once the pool is finisher. The look of the water and the umbrella on this table plus the spa and firepit will drown away everything else. The water especially.

I hate my fence, but now I barely even notice it - my eye always goes to my spa and the water color + movement and the white marble tiles. Everything else is a reminder that we humans are imperfect :)

I think I like the 4 better, but that looks good as well and significantly better than the previous attempt. Fingers crossed you get your plaster next week!!
I like 4 better too but I went ahead and approved the fix with 3 since it really was so much better.

I think 3 vs. 4 pieces is a personal preference. I see a giant peace sign!
. Lol. Thanks Mermanaid, now I can't *unsee* the peace sign. Ha! Maybe I'll let the kids color one there with chalk later after it's all sealed.

I see the side profile of a Flintstone's car tire that has cracked in three places. I prefer 4 but could go with 3.

That table is a lot of work - cutting up all the travertine. ( Using a grinder no less). One thing is certain, you will not notice this tile work at all once the pool is finisher. The look of the water and the umbrella on this table plus the spa and firepit will drown away everything else. The water especially.

I hate my fence, but now I barely even notice it - my eye always goes to my spa and the water color + movement and the white marble tiles. Everything else is a reminder that we humans are imperfect :)

I prefer 4 but as you say Phil, it's a lot of work and other than preference it came out nice this time so I didn't have a good reason to ask him to do the 4. I will use the table a lot but as long as they are the same size and it's not badly done I'll be fine with it being 3. I'll update with new pictures shortly!

I personally prefer the 4, but the 3 isn't bad- it's definitely much better than the first attempt!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, if he cut each one of those pieces down the middle, you'd have 6, which I think would look good and save him some work...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
- - - Updated - - -

Actually, if he cut each one of those pieces down the middle, you'd have 6, which I think would look good and save him some work...

Hmm... That's a thought! He hasn't grouted yet. I'll see what hubby thinks!

Update: Thanks Nini! We DO like it better! We asked him to do it. I'm pretty sure they think I'm a PITA. Sigh. Oh well.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay! Okay, so here is the complete (and long) story. I've been watching these same tile guys for a full 8 days of work (not consecutive) and I've learned a few things. Carlos and Omar are brothers. Carlos speaks better English and is clearly the more responsible one. Omar's English is not so good and he often seemed hungover (like arriving here at 11:00 only to put his head down on the playset for 20 minutes and not move). [emoji23] Carlos took less breaks and would get annoyed with the others (during tile/coping there was a 3rd guy) when their breaks were too long. Most breaks were about 45 minutes to an hour for each 30 minutes of work with lots of being on their phones. Omar seems less responsible but definitely pays more attention to detail and may have a bit more experience. Remember when we didn't like the way they finished the ends of our spa? It was Omar that fixed it. One day Carlos was out sick and the guys accomplished very little for being out here from about 11-5. Carlos came back the next morning (9:30 - earliest ever) and he was ticked! You could see it all over his face, he threw a tool down, took off his shirt and slammed it down... Lots of Spanish words. (My blinds were open so he probably didn't know I saw it all). Even my daughter was like "ooh, he looks mad!" That was the last day and the earliest they'd ever shown up. PB was upset at the slow progress and had told them to get it done so they had to finish it all that day. That was the hardest I'd ever seen them work and they were here until about 9:00 at night. Fast forward to Thursday. Carlos chooses to do the table in the pool and Omar is doing the fire pit. After we didn't like the sloppy center and I told him he was visibly annoyed and said he would call my PB. Well, my PB came out in the morning before the guys got here and took the center pieces out, agreeing that they needed to be redone. When the guys got here Carlos was frustrated and didn't want anything to do with the table so they had switched. Omar is more easygoing.
Okay, so PB had also told me that these guys would be installing my toe tiles before they finished. We have not had clean up yet but he told me that they'd clean up enough to install them. I showed the tiles and I'd need to lay them out. When Carlos heard I had a specific order for them to go in he was rolling his eyes right in front of me. I was feeling very apprehensive about them installing them since they're my samples and I have a very exact amount of glass tiles to use. I spoke with Mrs. PB and she said she would talk to PB about installing them closer to plaster and that her son even does them sometime so I thought the situation was resolved. I got a knock on the door from Carlos ready for my toe tiles and he'd just cleaned up quite a bit. I came back inside and called the PB explaining my apprehension and he said that it was fine to wait and to tell Carlos not to worry about it. So, I go out and tell him. He was visibly angry about it; I think because he'd just cleaned up in preparation. His clean up was not great though and did not help my apprehension. Would you want your tiles installed on a pool cleaned up like this? Sigh. Oh well.

Oh, and remember that piece on the back wall that had to be replaced? Well, they replaced it. Notice any problems? Yep! They used the grout from my waterline tile instead of the grout for my coping. Did he seriously not notice when he did it?

But all in all, the fire pit is coming out nice and the table is nicer now. It's still not perfect by any means but we like it enough to live with it. Introducing the Suz Fire Pit!
The plumber comes tomorrow to custom make the ring and then they'll finish the outside of it.
And the Nursini Table Top! Kim, what were we naming after you again?

What a back story! :shock: He calls THAT cleaned up??? Nope! Not at all close :(

Loving the Suz fire pit! That will be a classic for sure!

nini sure did nail that table top. THAT is just what it needed to fix it.

Ummmmmmmm so when will they be redoing that grout? I wonder if the PB thinks they are his A team for tile? I would NOT want to see the B or C team at all!

Nothing named for me yet. Suz and nini have all of the neat ideas on this thread. Now if you get a kitty you can name it after me LOL

Ummmmmmmm so when will they be redoing that grout? I wonder if the PB thinks they are his A team for tile? I would NOT want to see the B or C team at all!

Nothing named for me yet. Suz and nini have all of the neat ideas on this thread. Now if you get a kitty you can name it after me LOL

I don't know. I texted PB and he said he'd take care of it.

I thought we named a bench after you but I think it was before the whole design ended up changing. We'll find something. I still have furniture to buy! Lol

So we may have another problem. I posted it in the thread I had about tables in the pool. I don't know how to post a link to another thread in Tapatalk but I'm going to try!

Edit: oh yay! It worked!

Do you have a table in your pool?

Basically I'm almost under water at the table (collar bones) and the kids are. The table is too high that way. I texted the PB and I'm hoping he'll be willing to do something (like make the bench higher.)

I don't know! I THINK they can pour some more gunite but am not sure :( Hummmmmmmmm there was the one (Matchless) who had the add some more to just under his slide so he could stand there to catch his kids when they went down the slide so..... they just might be able to. Remember that plaster will add some height as well. How much? I really do not know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.