Yukon, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I’m in Oklahoma and will have below freezing temps for the next 5 days. My pool is open, VS pump running at 2650rpm over night...and this morning there is a layer of ice on my pool. This same thing happened yesterday and we removed all ice from the water...but it’s back. There is 15” of snow forecasted for tomorrow. I’m leaning towards closing my pool today...so I need to drain my sand filter and my pump, right? Do I need to remove the ice and drain pool below the returns? And also blow out water from returns?
Thanks!

And to confirm, if I do the above...does that mean I no longer need to cover my equipment with a tarp nor buy electric heat tape?

Yeah, ive read alot....just looking for someone to confirm my exact questions...im about to go out and do this...time is of the essence...

If I have to drain everything in the next day or so, I still plan to cover my equipment pad. It is currently tented (an old spray painting tent) and I have moving blankets on exposed pipes. At least the most expensive equipment should be safe.

I'm new to this like everyone else, but if the moving water in your pool is already starting to form ice, and the weather is going to get significantly lower, I would be tempted to pull the plug and drain the equipment now.

I would still cover your equipment and the heat tape cannot hurt. I'm not sure what to tell you about the skimmers and returns. Good luck.

Reactions: dkellerd
I'm new to this like everyone else, but if the moving water in your pool is already starting to form ice, and the weather is going to get significantly lower, I would be tempted to pull the plug and drain the equipment now.

I would still cover your equipment and the heat tape cannot hurt. I'm not sure what to tell you about the skimmers and returns. Good luck.

Here is some good info on freezing water in the pool and the threat to equipment.

I am also in Oklahoma and while we don't have freezing of the pool *yet* it is at 34 degrees and I know it will get lower given the forecast. Nonetheless, after reading the above post, I think it will be safe to keep the pump running.

Reactions: PaigeMark
Again, no experience here with freezing pools, but I just finished watching the movie Big Miracle, where they saved those whales trapped in Alaska. Two guys showed up with what looked to be an underwater fan, that kinda looked like it just kept the water moving to stave off the freezing surface water. Would pointing your return eyeballs upward (assuming you have those), so that they disturbed the surface more help?

Reactions: HeyEng

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Again, no experience here with freezing pools, but I just finished watching the movie Big Miracle
Don’t let his modesty fool you folks. He also stayed in a HolidayInn once, so he’s a Bona-fied pro.
Would pointing your return eyeballs upward (assuming you have those), so that they disturbed the surface more help
It would absolutely help. Movement is why it has to be Bering Sea cold for the ocean to freeze. The bigger the waves the better.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo1Ton and Dirk
...Would pointing your return eyeballs upward (assuming you have those), so that they disturbed the surface more help?
That is a good suggestion but we do have pretty good movement of water and while it's not "splashing", there is a decent amount of disturbance that will probably help keep it from freezing at the surface. Actually, I am not too concerned about the surface, I was more concerned about the entire body getting so cold that it would eventually freeze within the piping, but Chem Geek's post has assuaged my concern somewhat.

The areas in the picture that are not frozen still show water moving from my pump. I still plan on draining stuff....but there's time if anyone wants to stop me after seeing my pic!

Does my picture of the ice layer on top of my pool scare anyone else? Or is that not too big of a worry since my pump and water is moving just fine...

Does my picture of the ice layer on top of my pool scare anyone else? Or is that not too big of a worry since my pump and water is moving just fine...
After reading the post I shared from Chem Geek (who has a lot of credibility here for his smarts) I think you would be OK. How does it look in the skimmer? Does it appear to be freezing at all there? How about your water flow? Since you have a VS pump, it might be a good idea to push up the speed some. Also, someone mentioned adjusting the eyeball outlets to "disturb" the surface somewhat. I do think it's a bit odd that you are less than 20 miles from me (as a crow flies) and we don't have any surface freezing as of yet. What is the temp of your pool water?

Reactions: PaigeMark
For what its worth, it scares the crud out of me. What is your temperature now? I'm eagerly awaiting any responses as that could be me on Sunday/Monday.

While leaving the pump running will be just fine, you’re tinkering with some headaches right now. Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with your equipment in case of power outages. My gut is saying colder days and worse weather is heading your way.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.