rednick

Apr 22, 2019
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My current DE filter is way overdue to be replaced. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was the original that was installed with the pool over 30 years ago. I’ve read quite a bit about the pros and cons of DE and cartridges, but was hoping for some opinions on my specific setup. Here are the main points I’m going back and forth on:

1) The DE itself: I don’t have a waste line, and my yard setup means I backwash into the shrubs behind the patio retaining wall. Inevitably, some leaks through the wall onto the patio and surrounding lawn, not ideal considering the potential health risks. In a few weeks, I’ll have a gate installed that will allow me to run the hose 75 or so feet to a storm drain.
2) I’m in the NE and usually have a company close the pool. The 4 times I’ve opened it, it’s been green with algae. I try to close late (October) and open in late April. This means the first two weeks involves quite a few backwashes. This would seem like a pretty big inconvenience with a cartridge filter since I’d have to breakdown and rinse.
3) While I try to be careful with DE, I’d probably prefer to avoid dealing with it long term.

Bonus questions: I have a single speed 1hp pump that appears to also have some years on it, but works relatively fine. Would it make sense to replace or just replumb to allow for an easy replacement when the time comes? Is there a “going rate” for installing/replumbing a filter (excluding material costs)?

Since you do not have a proper waste line for your DE to backwash I would definitely go with a cartridge filter. For opening using a cartridge filter you could consider buying an extra cartridge and just swap them out to get back in operation. Then clean the old and ready for next swap out. I think people are finding that a large cartridge filter is very reliable and less effort in long run.

Regarding your pump you can add quick unions to both sides to facilitate easy change out. Also you can purchase a VS motor to adapt to you existing pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.