Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just reviving this stagnant thread.

For clarification, I can simply swap my Quad DE 80 cartridges for CCP420 (seems to be same size) ones and I’ll no longer have to use DE?

@1poolman1 you mentioned you’ve done with before…. What modifications did you need to make, if any? I saw you mention 1” manifold pipe.

Not that I’ve had any issues with our quad DE (been running great for 3 years!), I’m just looking to have replacement cartridges in hand and this thread caught my eye (anytime I can still have TFP clear water with less chemicals or filter media, I’m in!).

Moved from here.

Just reviving this stagnant thread.

For clarification, I can simply swap my Quad DE 80 cartridges for CCP420 (seems to be same size) ones and I’ll no longer have to use DE?

@1poolman1 you mentioned you’ve done with before…. What modifications did you need to make, if any? I saw you mention 1” manifold pipe.

Not that I’ve had any issues with our quad DE (been running great for 3 years!), I’m just looking to have replacement cartridges in hand and this thread caught my eye (anytime I can still have TFP clear water with less chemicals or filter media, I’m in!).

Moved from here.
That's all I did besides getting cartridges that matched the D.E. ones on size. Also, if you have a backwash valve of any type, safest is to remove it as you never want to backwash a regular filter cartridge. It may require some re-plumbing if you have one. If you don't remove it, be sure it is never in the backwash position as long as you use regular filter cartridges..
Those 1" pipe were/are there to be sure that the D.E. coats the entire cartridge and then water fills the tank to an area above the top of the D.E. cartridge when operating. They weren't installed in all of those filters at first, so you may not have them. You can leave them in if you like, they're not glued if you want to remove them.

I’ll check it out/. Thanks! Yes, we do have the multiport valve, but I can also make sure we never put it on backwash.

I converted my Quad 60 DE to a Clean and Clear 320 by swapping my DE filters for the CC 320 cartages. They have been installed since Memorial Day weekend and the water looks just as good as when I was using DE.
I bought these cartridges, Clean & Clear® Plus 32
0IMG_1550.JPG
The OPT-320 has a slightly larger diameter and are little longer. I checked the illustrated parts list for Quad 60 and CCP320 to confirm they use the same housing part numbers.

IMG_1466.jpgIMG_1465.jpg

As for the concern about using the multivalve, I 3d printed a cover for the valve that does not allow me to select the Backwash position.

IMG_1500.jpg

Any chance you printed a spare? :)

I was just going to put a big red printed label on my MPV. No reason to remove a perfectly functioning MP valve for a 3-way one. I’m the only person that touches the equipment.

Seems like I can switch quad DE 80 filters for the CCP 420 ones (more than enough for our 13K pool).

It seems as though it may require more tinkering than I thought (not to mention the inlet piping looks a bit different (internal to filter, not the bulkhead fittings). I made a comparative table:

1687213029229.png

The manifold top and bottom APPEAR identical in photos, however the part numbers are different. Not sure this is truly as simple as replacing the filters. In which case the cost of replacing the manifold may eat up whatever savings switching to the non-de filters would offer.

It seems as though it may require more tinkering than I thought (not to mention the inlet piping looks a bit different (internal to filter, not the bulkhead fittings). I made a comparative table:

View attachment 505521

The manifold top and bottom APPEAR identical in photos, however the part numbers are different. Not sure this is truly as simple as replacing the filters. In which case the cost of replacing the manifold may eat up whatever savings switching to the non-de filters would offer.
Quad 60 to CC320 was as simple as remove lid, remove top spreader, remove DE cartridges, remove 1" stand pipes, install 4 regular cartridges, install top spreader, reinstall tank lid. If the Quad 80 and CC420 have the same size cartridges it will be the same procedure, especially if the MPV is not removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.