And here we go...!

Dude, you are in the same situation as I was approximately two weeks ago! This website and all of the information provided has turned me into a near master of my pool. I was totally overwhelmed by the maintenance and slew of chemicals offered by the pool store. In just two weeks, I've gotten it down to just adding a small amount of liquid bleach, 10%, each day to keep my pool clean! I have all of the other chemicals (baking soda, borax, muriatic acid, etc.) on standby to add only when needed! Any my Taylor K2006 test kit makes testing my water fun!! You're going to be totally fine following some of the simple instructions here!

Excellent to see so many success stories on here!

I got over to the new place later than anticipated last night and, of course, forgot my scale -- so I got 3 out of 4 tasks completed. I'll be heading there tonight, adding the bleach, and doing some tests tomorrow morning to see where we stand.

Detailed analysis below.

---

1) Get pH on track (Target 7.5). Existing value is 6.7.
Needed to add 59oz of Borax. Found a measuring cup so went with volume over weight -- 57oz. Of course there was alot of Soda Ash, but I just picked up a box of Borax at the store since I wasn't sure what was there. Went with borax, added to bucket via volume, mixed with poolwater, and poured in pool. Ran pump for 30m.

2) Get TA to 50. Existing value of 20, PoolMath has me adding 120oz (weight) of standard issue baking soda?
7 and a half boxes of 1lb. Baking Soda. Thrown in deep end 30m after Borax addition.

3) Get FC to 8 to eliminate possible algae bloom. Existing value of 4.5. PoolMath has me adding 124oz of 6%, standard issue (preferably a recent date code) Clorox bleach?
No scale means I couldn't get to measuring out from the 8.25% Clorox I got my hands on.

4) Remove floater/existing chlorine tablets from pool to reduce possibility of raising the CYA. Easy enough.
Removed first thing I got there. Easy one.

very nice, did you retest this morning to confirm results??

for measuring the bleach, you are measuring by volume (ounces), not weight. its pretty similar but you don't have to be so exact. a gallon is 128 oz, so basically you needed to put in a gallon. you can just approximate it pretty close.

its interesting that the old owners had so much soda ash. they must have been continually adding it to raise pH. obviously they didn't know the TA was so low which wasn't allowing the pH to rise from aeration. if you are at 50 after adding, can keep an eye on pH and see whats happening. if it still dropping, we might add a little more TA and aim one of your return jets toward the surface to increase aeriation which will increase pH.

Did not get chance to test since I'm back and forth between places right now. I will be over there today after work so maybe I'll add the bleach then get some tests going 30m later or so. So much going on with the moving, just trying to keep the pool in check for now so I can actually enjoy it once we settle in in a week or so. I ordered one of those cheesy snap-on/plug in fountain things for the return jet to see how it looks, but that should definitely assist in the aeration department at the very least if it does end up being something that looks silly. We shall see.

Yea, I'd say about 3-4 containers of Soda Ash on the table there - likely right on the lack of TA. The guy was most definitely just bringing samples to the pool store and going on their advice.

Finished the addition of chems last night. Let the filter run for 4+ hours or so... New Results Below!

Cl = 5
Br = 10
pH = Just about 7.0
TA = 80
CYA = 90
FC = 5
CC = 0

Seems like my TA shot higher than anticipated, but from what I can tell that's allright?

pH needs further adjustment -- going to drop in 34oz of Soda Ash (found it in the shed) in a bit to see if we can bump it up.

Also -- got ThePoolCleaner running -- thing is working great once you dial it in !!

I think I'm excited I have a pool now.

that amount of soda ash will raise your TA by another 14 by the way. you are pretty close to within range, so I would go overboard. are your jets aimed at the surface to aerate? that will raise your pH as well.

you are showing CL = 5...is that with the DPD/FAS test and actually FC (free chlorine)? ether way, that level is too low. get more chlorine in there.

numbers looking good!

Jets were moved today to point downward in order to accommodate the ThePoolCleaner directions. I'm going to pop those back up towards the surface shortly.

Also got my return valve fountain thing, so that should assist with aeration. Should have that up and running within the hour hopefully.

PoolMath has me shooting 34oz. in -- but with the +14TA DaninFLA suggests, perhaps I'll bring that to 20 and see what that gets me overnight + aeration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
20oz of Soda Ash added... see how that goes.

Also - the stupid pool fountain thing for aeration has been delayed until I get my vice grips over here. The first two partsof the eye return came off fine, but the double-sided male union-thing seems to be REALLY stuck on there. I'll get to that tomorrow I hope.

just FYI, you only really need to point one of the returns upward, you can point the others down. I wouldn't do any more additions to raise pH and just see how it comes up itself now. don't wan to get your TA too high or else you will be fighting to lower it.

Your TA was probably fine at 80

TFP recommends 70-90+

Mine was initially 70 and 1 small box of baking soda made it go way over necessary when I first got started.

You should put more bleach in each time as others have suggested, it's ok to go over.

With a CYA of 90, It should never get below 7 if possible. Target is 12, but you can go as high as 34 if you are away for a few days.

Better that than going under and having algae. (you will appreciate that even more if you ever have to do a Mustard SLAM with your CYA 70 or more)

I'd prefer to not have to SLAM, let alone Mustard SLAM -- whatever that means.

I added the Soda Ash earlier and then dumped the reminder of the Clorox bottle I got before letting it run for a few more hours. I'll run some tests tomorrow and see where we end up.

I should probably inventory all the pool chems in the shed there so I don't rebuy anything again.

Also, once dialed in on the suction... ThePoolCleaner RULES.

Friday morning. Sun is out and shining, its not too hot yet, and its a great day for pool chemical testing and to keep moving boxes into the house. One day, I'll get to use this pool!

Let's see where we are this AM:

Cl= .5
Br= 1
pH= ~7.3
TA= ~75
CYA= 80
FC= 5.5
CC= 0

Looks like my Chlorine level is way low - going to pump in the FC numbers into PoolMath and target 8 and add chems as directed.

Anything else of note? Should I toss that floating chlorine tablet guy back in ?

I would target 9 or 10 with your CYA that high. All else looks good. Are you looking into either a partial drain and refill or adding a SWG with your CYA of 80? Good luck moving today!

Not sure on the drain or flush. CYA started at 90, 2nd reading was 70, no we're around 80. I wonder how much of it is user error on the test...

I like the idea of a SWG, but it's probably too soon to make the call on installing new equipment this season for the pool. Need some bedroom furniture first!

Also - looks like he's got some 3" Leslie's brand chlorine tables in there. Without reading the bucket, how would I go about using these in place of the bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.