And here we go...!

Water was looking clear and clean, per usual. It would seem my only real concern is this high CYA causing me to add larger amounts of chlorine than necessary. I'm going to blame the 2 empty massive buckets of 3" Chlorine tablets in the shed.

Are there any other CYA workaround besides dumping half the pool? How would I even refill it properly, or drain it for that matter? Perhaps this is a matter for the end of the season and/or opening the pool up next year.

only way is to drain and refill. you have a sand filter I see, so you can just adjust your pump to only suck from the main drain (bottom) so that you are not drawing water from the skimmer. then just set your filter to vacuum to waste. that will discharge the water. draw it down to the desired level and then refill with water from the hose.

its always more efficient to do larger drain and refill than multiple smaller ones. do you have a high water table? with vinyl, you don't want to go any lower than a foot or so above your shallow end. so if your shallow end is 3 feet deep, you can take 2 feet of water out.

with CYA of 90 and aiming for say 50, that means you have to take 45% of the water out. what is your average pool depth? if you shallow is 3 feet and your deep is say 6 feet, and they are roughly the same area, your average depth is 4.5 feet, so 45% would 2 feet of water. just need to calculate your average depth and then go from there to determine how low the water needs to go.

in the same example, if you had a 3 foot shallow end, a 6 foot deep end, but the deep end was 1/3 of your pool area...the average depth of your pool would be 3.5 feet, and 45% would be 1.58 feet.

all that said, its already basically August. how much longer will your pool be open? might be easier to just keep it where its at this year and then deal with it next year. besides, with cold weather a lot of people lose CYA over the winter, so you might get lucky. maybe just drain and refill 1 foot now and worry about it later.

But I sense some confusion. High CYA does not cause FC loss. It stops it. Have I missed something, somewhere?

the issue is its relative, so you are losing more ppm and using more chlorine. basically if you are losing say 20% of FC due to sun, then when your FC is 10, that's a 2ppm loss. when you are at 20ppm, that's a 4ppm loss. so you end us using more chlorine because your target FC is so high and requires you to use more bleach to maintain it. plus with CYA that high, your FC will be above 10ppm which means you cant test for pH

Correct - we're already in August so I'm thinking any water balancing is going to be end of season or beginning of next. Haven't even thought of closing it up or dates yet really... I should probably get on that at some point to see what is involved. Sounds complicated, but I'm sure TFP has it down to a science.

Deepest point is 7ft in the pool, btw. Not sure about the water table since we just moved into the area. I'll have to do some research, but I have no reason to believe it's "abnormal".

Draining off a few feet of my pool water to... where? The backwash area I dump to? Seems like alot of water to dump in my yard next to the pool. Hmmm...

Draining off a few feet of my pool water to... where? The backwash area I dump to? Seems like alot of water to dump in my yard next to the pool. Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

Should be able to rig a hose whether it is the same size as the waste discharge or use a 3" or 4" non slotted drain tile to run it wherever needed. Nothing fancy but you do want to get it away from you pool preferably down hill.

They sell backwash hoses in different lengths. You could even get fancy and put a soaking hose or pinhole (I forget the real name of it) hose to put on the end some how and water you flowers or other parts of the lawn.

You can bet TFP DOES have closing a pool down in a science LOL The biggest part of it is.............close late and open early..........We will help you with it when you are ready.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DaninFLA -- Likely. I'll have to look into some hoses and such and get a gameplan... but again, maybe end of seasons or beginning of next.

As of this AM with the pump running since initial SLAM chlorination:
FC= 13.5
TA= 100

Didn't bother with pH since FC is so high.

So now - I suppose I'm waiting for FC levels to hover around 7 or so and essentially run a standard maintenance to keep it between 5 and 7 or so? All while hoping my pH + TA remain stable -- which... so far so good.

your CYA is 90, right??? your absolute minimum FC level is 7 and target is 10. I would let it drop to 9 and re-check your pH and then bump up your FC to 10-11. I would leave it near 10 for a while till you see how much FC your pool consumes a day. the critical number is the minimum number of 7, don't ever let your FC fall below that. you mention 5, that's a way to get algae growing again

CYA was 90 upon last check. I'll target a 10 on the FC... which means I should be buying stock in bleach companies or getting a Costco membership shortly I suppose. I'll run another check on it later tonight to see where the 13.5 reading this AM ended up.

But noted... Critical Minimum is 7. I'll consider 8 the danger zone and liberally bump from there if we get near that. Anywhere from 8-10 I'll try to dial it in specifically.

9pm FC Testing brings us to 11 ... a 2.5 loss during the day today. A sunny, hot one for sure.

Turned the pump off for the evening - going to fire it up in the AM and get another test as a sort of a pseudo-OCLT just to see where we stand with overnights.

FC of 10 this AM - expecting thunderstorms this afternoon.

Will probably add 17oz or so of 12% Chlorine to mitigate any loss and stay hovering in the 10 space. ThePoolCleaner and my new sprinkler will have to wait until tomorrow to get used. So many outdoor activities!

Oh yea.. Noon readings looking RIGHT where I want to be. Not sure how my CYA got here but I think I'm pleased... maybe I mistested but I'll take it for now.

FC= 8
TA= 85
pH= 7.5
CYA= 75

Gonna bump that FC to 11ish by adding 6cups or so of 12.5% Chlorine and get my PoolCleaner in there about an hour after.

Nice. You guys are all so much help, I feel like I got a hold on the pool now a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.