Ammonia and combined chlorine

MeAndJulio

Jul 7, 2019
Northern Neck, Virginia
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I opened the pool on Monday, water level was about 1/3 down. Known leak for several years.
FC: 0
CYA: 0
PH: 7.3
TA: 115
CC: 2.5

I read a bunch in TFP and was led to believe I had an ammonia problem. I followed the ammonia instructions of using liquid chlorine for bringing the FC to 10ppm and testing after 30 minutes. First test: 1 FC; Second test 2.5 FC; Third test 10 FC. I understand that I am supposed to SLAM, but will wait until morning. CC Test after 3rd addition was still 2.0.
Questions:
1. Since the 2nd addition of the 10ppm of liquid chlorine, I can now smell the chlorine near the water; I assume it is the combined chlorine. Why do I smell this now, and why didn't the CC decrease significantly with 5 gallons of chlorine??
2. In the morning, do I add the CYA (sock method) and immediately keep shocking? And should I figure that the CYA # already is what I am actually putting in, or should I still consider the CYA # as 0 for calculation purposes?
3. Will the SLAM cure the combine chlorine problem? Or is this a breakpoint chlorination problem that will require more work?

Thank you for your input.

Questions:
1. Since the 2nd addition of the 10ppm of liquid chlorine, I can now smell the chlorine near the water; I assume it is the combined chlorine. Why do I smell this now, and why didn't the CC decrease significantly with 5 gallons of chlorine??
It may take a bit to remove the CC.
2. In the morning, do I add the CYA (sock method) and immediately keep shocking
SLAMMING!
? And should I figure that the CYA # already is what I am actually putting in, or should I still consider the CYA # as 0 for calculation purposes?
Add the CYA and use SLAM levels for the target CYA. CYA will rise over time and the two shall meet.
3. Will the SLAM cure the combine chlorine problem? Or is this a breakpoint chlorination problem that will require more work?
SLAM will take care of it.
Thank you for your input.
You are welcome. Happy to help. No question is to wierd to answer!!!

SLAM ON!!!

I followed the ammonia instructions of using liquid chlorine for bringing the FC to 10ppm and testing after 30 minutes.
That could also be part of your problem. Don't wait 30 minutes. Re-test and increase the FC every 10 minutes until you see the FC begin to hold between 5-10 ppm. Only then should you add stabilizer. If you add stabilizer too quickly you feed the problem.

This morning, I added liquid chlorine to bring FC to 10ppp. Waited 10 minutes and retested, FC held at 10ppm. BUT Still can smell chlorine in the water & CC was 1.5.
Is this correct:
1. I can begin the SLAM and add the CYA?
Question 2: will the SLAM remove the CC? I thought it would be gone, based on 4 shocks to 10ppp.
Thanks for your input!

This morning, I added liquid chlorine to bring FC to 10ppp. Waited 10 minutes and retested, FC held at 10ppm. BUT Still can smell chlorine in the water & CC was 1.5.
Is this correct:
1. I can begin the SLAM and add the CYA?
Question 2: will the SLAM remove the CC? I thought it would be gone, based on 4 shocks to 10ppp.
Thanks for your input!
We don’t use the term “shock”, that’s a pool store term and makes you think a one off chlorine action has done something.
We either have normal levels of chlorine (most aim for the upper end of the range) or SLAM levels (it’s safe to swim in a pool with chlorine levels up to SLAM level) where the M stands for maintain, ie not a one off action. (Actual level required is based on your CYA level)
Maintain your SLAM level as often as you can if you are in SLAM, that may be as frequent as every hour in the early stages (first couple of days, you’ll see a pattern and see when it’s not dropping as much and can leave it longer between dosing).

Good luck. Actually, this isn’t based on luck it’s based on science. Happy Slamming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.