Am I on the right track??

Here is my idea without being able to see pics. Take as much of it apart as you can. See what is what and go from there.

Spray bleach water EVERYWHERE and hose it down.

Oh and make sure to take a good pic so you can put it back together! LOL

Kim (who wishes she could have seen you getting out without the ladder!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what I am seeing is an open area at the second from the bottom step. Is that where you put the sand in? Is there anything that should be over it to keep water out? If not you need to get one and seal it up good!

I also see an open area at the top. Is that where the handles go in or another area to add sand?

Those are some nice looking steps. It looks like there would be some good water flow to keep them clean. We just need to find a way to seal them up.

GOOD JOB getting those up! I bet it was HARD to do!

Kim

There are pieces that go in the lower set of holes. I removed them and cleaned them. They were covered in algae. And then the handles go on the top of those pieces, as well as in the top holes.

I just scrubbed and bleached and power washed the ladder. It's impossible to get into the actual space where the sand goes though. I stuck the power washer nozzle in as far as I could, but there's wet sand down there and I'm not sure how to completely empty it.

I would make a bucket of bleach water (10% bleach+90%water) and pour that into the open areas and let it sit for a while. That should clear up any nasty stuff down there.

i am trying to think of the best way to fill and SEAL the tubes. Let me think on it overnight. I have a couple of ideas but need to flush them out.

Kim

K,

Will you start a new thread and link to it here so it can go to the general group? I would put it in the above ground part. Maybe title it "how to seal a ladder" or such. I would like others ideas. I have an idea but...............it would be best to make sure all of the basis are covered.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim, K, I might have a solution :)

hmmmm, ok, to keep algae at bay you need chlorine in the ladder... I would put as many BIG hole's in those stairs where the sand is suppose to go. I don't think you will ever be able to seal that ladder air tight, so let as much chlorine water in there... try to point a return at the ladder.. I believe I am getting the same ladder so I might be going through this also... There are a couple people on amazon that have drills holes in this ladder with some success..

To keep you ladder weighted down, they make sealed weights for your ladder, or at least it looks like your ladder..

Easy Step Weight System For Above Ground Easy Pool Steps - Electric Motors - Amazon.com

I am sure there are other ways of doing this but this is all I could think of this morning :)

Those weights look awesome! Thanks!

I'm going to talk to the husband about drilling bigger holes into the ladder. My biggest concern is that I'd damage it too gravely. I love how sturdy the ladders steps are and that I can sit on the steps with my youngest. It's just driving me a bit crazy knowing how much algae is growing in there!

Like how many or how big of a hole could we drill without losing the integrity of the steps? Can you just come here and do it please!!? Lol

hmmm maybe a 1 inch hole in the bottom of each L
L
L

You could try doing 4 holes on each side and see if that works, then go for 8 if it does not, how does that sound :) make your hole completely through on each side, use a bit like below.. That would get pretty good water flow through it and when you add blech every day, try pouring half in 1 side of the steps and the rest inside the other... That would keep the algea out of the steps and you would know for sure you were getting flow through it if your ppm stays up in the pool... Whenever you put more water in your pool use the hose to push pool water through your ladder, that would help also :)

DEWALT DW1582 1-Inch by 6-Inch Spade Drill Bit - - Amazon.com

I do not think that would do anything to the stability of the steps, but someone with more experience like an engineer would know better...

that is a good question, I would only do the frame, wherever the sand was.. I think the stairs are sealed but I am not sure... does sand go into the stairs also?

Sand doesn't go into the steps. But there are really small holes in each step (maybe 2, or 4). So water can get in, but probably not out. When I pulled the ladder out, water came out of the steps, as well as green guck.

holes every where! It is no wonder you had algae with that.

I wonder if you could put a dot of silicone to close up the small holes or if you need them to hold water to help keep the ladder down.

I am not sure what to tell you. This is going to be up to you. What do you feel is safe AND will help you keep the pool water clean.

Maybe you can plan on taking the ladder out every once in while to clean? (what a pain that would be)

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.