Also new here, need some advice

With no VRV, there really is no limitation on flow rate other than loss of solar efficiency, but then the panels are always filled with water which can be a problem on hot days with the pump off.

The problem is the panels getting very hot and the weight of the water trying to flow down ends up creating a vacuum at the top which can cause the panels or even the PVC pipes to collapse if they get hot enough with enough vacuum.

Thus the need for a vacuum release valve.

Argh, local OSH, HomeDepot and Lowes do not have GFCI dual pole circuit breakers which I believe I need for the VS Pump. While Lowes said they could order anything I wanted and it would be here in 7-10 days, I think it's time for an online purchase (perhaps Amazon Prime....). I suppose I could run the pump in 120v mode, but for 3HP, figure 240 is easier on wire/breakers, balancing load, etc...

Any recommendations for the GFCI for the pump WITH PART numbers for an Pentair EasyTouch panel?
Any favorite brands for GFCI?

Here is what I think I need (please correct me if you feel I'm in error):
1 15 Amp 240v GFCI, dual pole for pump
1 15 Amp 120v GFCI, single for lights
1 15 Amp 120v GFCI for EasyTouch and IC40 (could probably double up with lights, but a fault in the lights would take out the entire panel).
1 15 Amp 120v GFCI for power plug on/near panel.

Thanks
Mark

Look in the EasyTouch manual and it will tell you what breakers are compatible.

I see nothing wrong with your list ... although I think you could use a GFCI outlet instead of the last GFCI breaker (which are more expensive).

Also not sure the EasyTouch/IC40 need to be on a GFCI or not (since it is all internal wiring).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From Pentair manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/LoadCenterIG.pdf

Circuit Breakers (For EasyTouch and IntelliTouch Load Center with sub panel)
Circuit Breakers are to be supplied and installed by the site installer. For recommended circuit breaker
types, refer to the circuit breaker chart on the inside front door of the Load Center and Power Center

Attachments

• breakers.jpg
    breakers.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 41
BIG thanks to everyone that has posted on installation of Pentair Easytouch systems. It would have been tough without you guys/gals. I consulted numerous posts on TFP to ensure I wired up things correctly. (Or at least reasonably as there are numerous opinions on 'correct').

I had mounted this last year to the side of the house but had not rewired power to the panel and such as I knew it was going to take a while.

Spent all day yesterday digging a hole as close as I could get to side walk where I cut through the old conduit and old wires. I pulled these into the new control panel and wired it all up yesterday.

Took from before noon until 6:00. Luckily I'm not charging by the hour. It took a couple of trips to OSH to pickup extra wire, flexible conduit and such.

I still have to wire in the temperature sensors and valve actuators, but the chlorine generator is online.

Then I have to figure out how to program the Pentair Easytouch 8. (Yeah, 8 circuits is way overkill, but I didn't want to have to upgrade for more circuits later). The VS Pentair pump is currently just running it's program to heat the pool from the solar panels.

Details from the top breaker down:

15 Amp 120v - powers panel
15 Amp 120v - power for GFI plug on side of unit
15 Amp GFI 120v - Pool light = Aux1, Spa Light = Aux 2, 120v AC Plug = Aux 6
15 Amp GFI 120v - reserved for lights on trellis
15 Amp GFI 240v - Pump + SWG

P1080030.jpg

P1080033.jpg

OK, the programming of the EasyTouch 8 isn't exactly clear....

Is there a recommended FAQ or How-To on this, I've read a couple of ones from a search I did, but many assume a pool company helped setup the initial setup. Mine is from scratch and I'm confused!

Currently I'm using the program in the Pump and the "F" button to enable the chlorinator, but I've got to get this thing programmed.

I've only solar power for heat and I live in Sunnyvale in Northern California, so we have a very nice summer.

Ideally here is what I have in mind, but perhaps this is too ambitious for a first program?

Daily
1. heat the pool (but don't exceed 90)
2. heat the spa (but don't exceed 102)
3. chlorinate/clean the pool

Every other day
1. run robot to clean (have a switched 120v outlet)
Weekly
1. flush water from spa into pool (maybe not go crazy here as it will take a while to re-heat the water)

Be able to turn on (which currently works fine from the panel)
1. pool lights == AUX1
2. spa lights == AUX2
3. cabana lights (future) == AUX3

The valves to control the spa seem to work with intake and output moving as expected. I'm adding the solar sensor this morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.