Almost above ground pool owner. Help put my mind at ease about cooling the water!

thanks! My neighbor is telling me I won't be able to control the temps due to the sidewalls absorbing the heat throughout the hot summer but I feel like I'm in too deep (pun intended) on the project to turn back now...I got some fill dirt in cause where I need the pool to be is in a low spot and scraping it down to level would result in an even bigger pit in the yard! still need to finish reinforcing the shade sail and getting the dirt to the backyard/leveled....pool should arrive on Tuesday so I'm much further behind now than I wanted to be by the time the pool arrived.
depending on how cool you would like to keep your pool, with our screen ove the top of the pool, ours stays around 88 wiht our summer temps. we dont feel any need for the side wall shade to keep it any cooler.. oh well yes on the west side we do have the shade since the sun obviously is hottest from that direction in the afternoons.. we actually just did the side screen to protect the pool material from the suns harm.. i fee lucky the pool has lasted almost 9 years here in phoenix.. az

Hey folks I know it's been a while..I am back on track trying to prep for this pool...after all this prep-work the actual pool assembly is going to feel like a dream :). My neighbor, bless his soul, came over on Monday to help us scrape away the grass with his tractor. I bought a shade sail, fought it for a while, then realized I cheaped out and should have bought one made to take all the stress at the corners...so I bought another one...another bonus is this one blocks like 95%+ UV rays vs. the original one which only blocked 60-70%. I may end up stringing the original one up just off our back patio at some later time, this time threading through all the grommets to evenly distribute the load.

My son was sure his boy scout knots could keep the shade sail tight but it kept sagging so I bought some metal clamps, pulled it tight with a separate rope and clamped the mess out of it and it's holding now...tied at about 12' in the air (stainless steel rings implanted in the trees) so it's maybe about 10' high in the middle.

I'm attaching a picture of the current progress. I still need to:
- run a new circuit/electricity to the pool (will mount to the tree just to the left of the picture below)
- run a water line straight after the water main cut-off at the house so I've got full pressure to the pool. Will also have water at the tree. I'm gonna go ahead and replace my quarter turn main shut off as it's pretty rusted and add another quarter turn shut-off valve for the pool water line as well.
- finish prepping the pad and getting the paver stones or some other solid surface to rest the frame of the pool on.
- Finally I'll finish with a gravel border around the pool.

Attachments

• poolPrep.jpg
    poolPrep.jpg
    979.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.