Almost above ground pool owner. Help put my mind at ease about cooling the water!

dlvonde

May 3, 2022
Houston, TX
All,

I am considering getting an intex 12' x 24' above ground pool within the next month or so for my 3 boys (OK and me and the Mrs :) ) to enjoy. I have a rather large back yard and there's a good spot between 4-5 trees where I can place the pool with plenty room around it. I know the first step to a successful installation is prepping the ground to make sure it's level so I asked my neighbor who had an above ground pool for many years (and has a tractor..and knows how to do just about anything!) for advice. He immediately began telling me I was wasting my time with an above ground pool, it's too hot here in Southeast Texas and he was constantly having to add more chemicals as the excessive hot water was burning through them all the time. Eventually said well if you can find a way to keep the water cool you might be able to manage it. I've had a few other friends tell me it's just a huge money pit, so I'm trying to get answers from those who've been through it ahead of time :).

First, as for the temperature....I plan on getting a large enough shade cloth to string between the trees and shade the entire pool and then some. I think this preventative measure might be the most effective in keeping the water from getting blazing hot. Next, I've heard a few folks from southern, humid areas say that installing a simple water fountain and running it at night can do wonders to cool the water. I thought all of the water coolers, evaporative coolers, radiators didn't really work well when the outside temperature isn't much different than the water, or in a region where the humidity is already high, but a few folks here seem to suggest that they've had good success cooling their water with a pretty crude/simple pvc array with a bunch of holes in it to make your own fountain/sprinkler. So my first question in all that rambling is: Has someone in the deep, humid south had good luck with both a shade cover and fountain/sprinkler? Is one sufficient or are both needed? Are there any other things that make a big difference in keeping the water from cooking your alive :).

My next question is ongoing maintenance of the pool. I know a lot of above ground pools come with pumps and filters that are nothing short of criminal. This one seems to have a semi decent sand filter/pump. I've heard chlorine is off the charts but it looks like liquid chlorine could be used for a more manageable maintenance cost. Is there a great benefit early on attempting to convert to a different pump/filter or a salt water system? Since I'm buying a relatively inexpensive pool and hoping to use relatively inexpensive methods to keep it cool, I don't mind spending some money if the price/performance ratio warrants it, but don't want to spend above the cost of the pool swapping out something that isn't going to benefit me much.

OK I've rambled enough...if you have any advice, personal experiences, etc. you can share I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you have any other advice for a pool noob I'm open to that as well. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
I am just south of Ft. Worth not quite as humid as Houston but still plenty hot.

I had the same pool I would recommend getting the Intex 12X24 that comes with a sand filter & salt water generator the pump/generator it comes with is a little small but will keep up with a little liquid chlorine or bleach every now & then, when the pump dies in a couple of years then upgrade to the larger Intex pump/filter/salt generator rated at 2150 GPH it will keep up most of the time with a little chlorine added.

To cool the pool any type of fountain will help & with the added shade you should be good.

Above all add the Hayward SP1091WM Dyna skim that is the key to keeping the pool clean with trees, my pool is lined with trees on the South side which is great for shade/privacy but a pain for pool maintenance & the Intex skimmer is a waste of time in my opinion, I had the Hayward skimmer for a year before I got the nerve to cut the hole in the pool and wish I would have done it when I 1st set up the pool.

Good luck & let me know how it turns out.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Pool water in our area certainly does get warm, so any shade you can provide will help tremendously with both heat and preserving free chlorine. As noted above, a light fountain spray that can catch some cooler air will help by a few degrees. Good luck with your install.

he was constantly having to add more chemicals as the excessive hot water was burning through them all the time.
Just speculating, but I'm interpreting this to mean he was always adding chlorine, probably because he didn't have enough conditioner/stabilizer.

I think you will find that if you follow the TFP recommendations, your experience in this regard will be very different and you will be able to manage the pool easily.

Reactions: vmaxed and dlvonde
Thanks everyone for your amazing responses so far and putting my mind at ease enough make the first move :). I went to amazon last night and the slightly upgraded, "deluxe" version of the pool which is 52" deep vs. 48" was 36% (or about $1,000!) off so I took that as a sign to pull the trigger :). If anyone has recommendations on hearty shade cloths that's what I'll be shopping for today! I'm hoping to get a good overlap so hopefully about 25' x 35'...I'll use the trees and some hardware to pull it nice and snug...Update, found a good deal on a 20' x 30' with good reviews on amazon and also ordered some nice mounting hardware.

I'll definitely look into the skimmer as I know the tree debris will require extra horsepower to manage. I also plan on mounting the shade cloth at a bit of a slope so hopefully any small leaves will roll/get blown off and away from the pool. I did NOT get the additional saltwater treatment but I will look into that as well...I understand how a filter works but will research the mechanics of the saltwater system as well....as you can see I have a lot to learn but I trust I'm in the right place to do that!

Last edited:
I managed our 24' x 48" AB for over a decade just South of you, and, under a nasty creek willow tree. Yes, get the skimmer and for sure SWCG. My only issue was chlorinating with tabs. I didn't have info like here at TFP back then, internet wasn't even a common thing yet, but I now know why by end of season that no matter what I did with chlorine, I could no longer control it. I'm sure my CYA was through the roof, but who would know to even look at that number. It sparkled all season, but then by the end, draining and refilling was the only thing I could do to clear it back up.

Like your neighbor, I just blamed the AB and heat, well water, etc..... I'm confident that if I had a good test kit, SWCG, and the knowledge I now have gained here, taking care of it would be no different than my current inground pool.

Reactions: vmaxed
The pool that was "on sale" on amazon only had the pump/sand filter, but I just got the intex SWCG (15,000 gal model) for a couple hundred less than it would have cost me had I bought it bundled with the kit....So I should have the pool, shade cloth, hardware, and SWCG arriving within a week or so. I still gotta get a skimmer and get the ground leveled and prepped. Our former next door neighbor does dirt work and I'd rather give him some business than struggle through it and mess this critical part of the process up.

Other than the skimmer I know I'll need salt, sand, and some kind of fancy testing kit/chemicals...so that's what I'll research next. Lets gooooooooo!

Reactions: vmaxed
I have not read here anything about using pre-emergent seed killer, but when mine was set up in the way back years, it was a big deal. In our area, yours too, nutsedge, nutgrass, is an issue. Before they put my AB pool down, the ground was level-scraped and doused with pre-emergent. Years later on a liner change out, I left the liner off for several months before new one came, and, sometime later I went to clear the pool from winter muck and there was a forest of nutgrass growing though the liner.

Do it! A sun sail will help. read pool school here and learn how to take charge of your own pool management. You will empower yourself and save money. Plus, you will know exactly what is in your pool and why.
A fountain can help cool your water (but can raise pH thru aeration), but with properly balanced water, you will never be "constantly adding chemicals". People here will help you and all this knowledge comes with no profit in mind like a pool store relies on. Learn the TFP system and you will get 100 Xs the joy out of your pool than your neighbor did.
We Love ours. It is the focus of our entire backyard and the centerpiece of our Summers! Planning on jumping in there today for the first time this season!
Good luck and post us some pictures of your install.

I have not read here anything about using pre-emergent seed killer, but when mine was set up in the way back years, it was a big deal. In our area, yours too, nutsedge, nutgrass, is an issue. Before they put my AB pool down, the ground was level-scraped and doused with pre-emergent. Years later on a liner change out, I left the liner off for several months before new one came, and, sometime later I went to clear the pool from winter muck and there was a forest of nutgrass growing though the liner.
Thank you! This is very helpful information...I did plan on putting down some kind of heavy duty locking padding in addition to the liner, but did not consider treating for future invasive growth!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Man, you're moving pretty quick getting everything lined up for this project! Nice. If you haven't already pulled the trigger on a test kit take a look at the Taylor K2006 & K-1766 combo with Speed Stir. You'll have to pretty quickly get refills for the chlorine test (R-0870, R-0871), CYA test (R-0013), and ph (R-0004), but all said its what i would get if i had to start from scratch.

Thank you sir I was reading through pool school yesterday and haven’t quite pulled the trigger on the test kit yet. I know I’ll also need sand, salt, and a final materials list for finishing the “foundation” once it’s been scraped/leveled. I’ve heard of all kinds of things: sand, plywood, interlocking pads, etc.

I also plan to line the edge with paver stones to give a little more structure for the frame/support poles to rest on.

Normally I’d be a lot slower and agonizing over every detail but my sons birthday is on the 30th and we just got a surprise “bonus” at work that will more than cover the cost…makes it a lot easier to drop the money on it 😁.

I have had both a shade & sprinkler- they both help tremendously. The key with the sprinkler is running it before the pool gets too hot to swim in & keeping it going.
My neighbor’s pool was like a bathtub & mine was still refreshing & he has an inground pool. He didn’t think a $20 sprinkler would do anything. Wrong 😑
Currently my large above ground is placed so that it gets shaded by my house starting at about 3:00 or so. During the dog days I run my sprinkler at night & during the day.
The more height the better evaporative cooling u get!
684F81AA-D3B5-477C-90D6-D74C2FE7EE14.jpeg059CC429-2123-4C9E-8306-4F767AAD4922.jpeg

Reactions: dlvonde
I used the HF mats and love the way it turned out. I think it's the way to go and you offset some of the cost by not having to use as much sand to protect the liner. Once my pavers were level and ground rough graded I used a landscape rake to get it as flat as possible and scrape off high spots using the rake side and then the flat side. I did this a few days after a good rain and the ground was a lot easier to work. The material I added from there was just to fill in low spots and imperfections rather than build up a sand base. Wet it and use a lawn roller to compact. I then stretched out the tarp that came with the pool and put the mats on top of that, then the pool. Others have reported needing to tape the mats together but i didn't find it necessary and didn't do if. If you have a thicker layer of sand that shifts underfoot you may want to tape. Probably a judgment call on that. I've put up exactly one pool so I'm no expert, just passing along what worked for me. You'll need a hand tamper if you don't have one to tamp the ground before setting blocks and you can rent a lawn roller and/or gas powered tamper from Home Depot.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for the confirmation that both shade and sprinkler are super effective when used together!
So I do like the interlocking HF mats idea..I'm going to get the ground scraped/leveled...then what? Do I put a thin layer of gravel...then sand...then HF mats...liner...and finally lay pool on top?
I do want to line the perimeter with a few rows of paver stones....should I fill the whole area with paver stones, then pad/liner?

Aftere leveling the ground i used decomposed granite to fill the low spots because i had it on hand and final layer i was pretty light on the sand just to get a smooth finish, no more. Roll to compact every step of the way. I have no idea if DG was the correct material to use for that first addition but it seamed to work. I hope someone chimes in if thats bad advice. I put down tarp then mats then pool.

Reactions: dlvonde
Also, if you are to have a party and folks over mid-August, Bucee's sells ice for .98/20lbs bagged. Throw about 20 of those in the pool and it will knock the edge off the hot water.

Reactions: MITBeta
Alright so I wasn't far off with my foundation "layers": level, compacted earth...followed by leveled/compacted gravel...followed by leveled sand to get a smooth top/finish..then liner..and finally pads/mats.

I wondered about what kind of extreme methods of water cooling have been dreamt up...my idea would be to have an insulated tub with large blocks of ice (as they take a lot longer to melt) and salt-water...then submerging a metal coil or some other efficient heat exchanger in that mixture and pumping the water through it..the warm water would pass through several feet of below freezing coil (thanks to the salt) before being returned to the pool....of course the material would need to be corrosion resistant to salt water.

Now, would I ever build such a contraption and babysit the salt/water mixture? Probably not..that's why prevention is the key! Keep full shade on the pool and run a fountain/sprinkler at night and we should be good.
I know they also make units that use refrigerant to cool water but those are $$$$.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.